Craving sugar like CRAZYYY!

Options
ebelliss
ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
I've never had much of a sweet tooth before I started counting calories and losing weight, I was always one to choose French fries over a piece of cake, but now all I ever want is sugar sugar sugar!! I would probably kill for a big fat ice cream sundae with all the toppings right about now....

Anyone else experience this? Is it normal?

Replies

• jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • amycavanagh
    amycavanagh Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    yes it's totally normal it's ur brain trying to trick u eat more protein :)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    yep - low fat yoghurt, or a piece of fruit normally does the trick for me..... or some weight watchers jelly with some frozen berries ...... a coke zero..... it takes time, but by thinking differently you can kick the sugar cravings....

If you get cravings - do something - go for a walk - take up knitting, phone a friend, write a book - anything - just don't sit there and keep on thinking about the sugar cravings you are having!!
  • lahokz
    lahokz Posts: 5
    Options
    ahh, i have the SAME problem. i love activa, the cheesecake flavor or the peach cobbler one. basically any one that has a dessert flavor. Freezing them makes it seem like ice cream. ALSO, skinny cows with NO sugar added, or the regular ones are amazing. Honey Combs, life cereal or whatever doesnt start with unbleached flour with soymilk or skim milk if you are lactose tolerant is great! Chocolate covered bananas! hope this helps!

-lauren
  • MaeKhaleesi
    MaeKhaleesi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of the opposite, when I start eating healthier foods I get intense salt cravings. My guess is there's something your body's not getting enough of.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sugar Free Jello Double Chocolate Pudding takes care of my sugar craving! :smile:
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    EXACT same thing happened to me. It's bizarre.

So here are some relatively healthy recipes I follow to curb my new-found sweet tooth:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/roasted-almonds-atop-banana-with-vanilla-creme-cinnamon-126639

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/265-calorie-pb-banana-ice-cream-made-w-cottage-chz-95127

And, of course, coffee or tea with a little stevia. :)

Cinnamon sprinkled on sliced apples is a great combo, too. :)
  • PositiveGoals
    Options
    You're probably lacking in something that is in the food you are craving. Make sure you are getting in all of your protein, sugar, and carbs that MFP recommends.

Here'a a few helpful hints.

1. Gummy vitamins. Starts your day with the feeling of eating sweets. Reduces the cravings the rest of the day.
    2. Have a protein shake or protein bar. There's usually a combination of sweet and protein. That will help the cravings and make you feel satisfied longer. Usually 3-4 hours because it is a protein which lasts longer than a carb.
    3. Small dixie size ice creams and ices average 60-200 calories. Sugar free fat free fudge popsicles are 40 cal each. Sugar free fat free Popsicles (tropical fruit) 10 calories. Ciao Bella blood orange sorbet 60 calories.
    4. Cinnimon or cocoa roasted almonds. An ounce is 150 calories and has lots of protein.
    5. Yoplait chocolate whips yogurt. (it really tastes like mousse...yum!)

Since implimenting these techniques I have managed to stay away from the vending machine at work.
  • heather1945
    heather1945 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I try to have a 'sweet treat' at least once a week. I make sure that I have enough calories to cover me though...:-}
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Some people really do have an addiction to sugar and/or carbs. Just depends on your metabolism. I've had to cut out all sugars, but luckily there are some great flavored protein powders out there for when I really NEED chocolate. :-)
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    When I crave sugar I eat some jerk and a diet coke.
    I know it's not "healthy", but it's a whole lot better than cake or starbursts. (Which are what I really want.)
  • lauraleenaft
    Options
    You're probably lacking in something that is in the food you are craving. Make sure you are getting in all of your protein, sugar, and carbs that MFP recommends.

Here'a a few helpful hints.

1. Gummy vitamins. Starts your day with the feeling of eating sweets. Reduces the cravings the rest of the day.
    2. Have a protein shake or protein bar. There's usually a combination of sweet and protein. That will help the cravings and make you feel satisfied longer. Usually 3-4 hours because it is a protein which lasts longer than a carb.
    3. Small dixie size ice creams and ices average 60-200 calories. Sugar free fat free fudge popsicles are 40 cal each. Sugar free fat free Popsicles (tropical fruit) 10 calories. Ciao Bella blood orange sorbet 60 calories.
    4. Cinnimon or cocoa roasted almonds. An ounce is 150 calories and has lots of protein.
    5. Yoplait chocolate whips yogurt. (it really tastes like mousse...yum!)

Since implimenting these techniques I have managed to stay away from the vending machine at work.

these are wonderful tips thank you for sharing!!!
  • lauraleenaft
    Options
    I understand completely what you are saying! I keep giving in to my sweet tooth! I am trying to make better sweet choices at the store,when i shop. So hard for me though because i am on a strict budget. And my family wants all the junk food. My big thing is chocolate! and when i am watching calories and i know i shouldnt have it,it drives me insane. you always want what you cant have :) then people say dont deny yourself,which i agree with,but then i find myself saying that everyday!! I think it is fine in moderation,but with me it is just so hard. Good topic ! i enjoyed all the responses posted,and will try some of them out :) Good luck to you!
  • ebelliss
    ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Wow all of these suggestions are awesome! Thanks guys! I've been allowing myself about a tablespoon of peanut butter a day on toast or low fat tortilla (I know it sounds weird, but it's delish!) and that has been helping a lot, and I usually end my day with hot tea and truvia. That is usually enough to curb my cravings, but somedays (like today) I want to bake myself a red velvet cake and devour it! I will make a point to start implementing some your lovely suggestions to mix up my days!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    The more white flour, sugar, and processed foods I eat the more I want. If I keep these two things out of my diet sugar doesn't scream my name anymore. It might whisper at me from the corner, but I can ignore it!

I may be nuts but when I do get that craving I make some Hershey's cocoa with the usweetened cocoa powder, make it extra chocolatey so it almost makes me sick and use stevia with it and soy milk. Or my decaf coffee with stevia, cocoa powder and soy milk - make it more of a mocha latte. Just drinking something thicker than water or tea fills me up so I can move on.