Help a beginning cyclist

Options
So I just started and the seat is supper uncomfortable

Replies

• CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Most bike seats that come factory-installed with the bike tend to be hard and generic (not specific to male/female).

Look into:
    1. First make sure your seat is appropriately fit to your body frame. Get your local bike shop guy to watch you ride around and fit you to your bike. That's first, easiest, and would make sure the angle and seat placement is correct (one time after a tweak in my seat, the difference was amazing--from absolute pain to none, just tweaking the angle of the seat).
    2. Get a new seat; there are a variety of options.
    3. If it's just muscle adjustment, it goes away after awhile.
    4. May also benefit from getting padded bike shorts. Always a good investment...

First and foremost, though, is get a proper fitting and go from there.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    1. No bicycle seat will be an easy chair.
    2. It can take a few weeks to get accustomed to riding but it does get easier.
    3. Every body is different and the seat the works for one may not work well for another.
    4. The best way to find the right seat for you is to try several out and see what works.
    5. Visit a local bicycle shop. Most people who work there are cyclists themselves and can offer advice on what you need.
  • Marshmella
    Marshmella Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I raised my seat and it helped with the pain on my hands. I also noticed my seat was tilted to the left so I centered it. We'll give it two days this way and take it from there. Thanx for the tips
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You'll get used to the seat and it won't hurt anymore. Make sure your legs have just a slight bend when the pedal is in the lowest position. I see so many people with the seat too low.
  • Marshmella
    Options
    I think I might go a bit higher. I'm so surprised at how I had it all the way down to begin with. It's way better with some space. My bum still hurts though
  • lepkebrown
    lepkebrown Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been through this too. You need a proper shop fit fir you and your bike. Second defo wear padded cycle shirts with NO underwear as it adds friction, third use Chamois creme on the delicate areas. Fourth, time in sandal!! If you have a cheap bike you might want to change the saddle but go to a proper bike shop. Hope this helps
  • Marshmella
    Options
    I've seen some videos on how important it is to get a proper fitting. I think I might end up getting it cause my right knee is starting to bug me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Around here can bike fit would cost £150-200, so a significant investment.

There are a number of videos on YouTube that can advise, personally I'd recommend Global Cycling Network.
  • Marshmella
    Options
    I went even higher on my seat and now I feel I can stay on track longer. My seat is now about the same height as my handlebar. My hands don't feel as comfortable though so I guess I need to look up more videos.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,154 Member
    Options
    Either it is a matter of time to get used to it, or an incorrect seat for your sit bones. Before I had a trainer where I could use my road bike indoors in the winter, the first few weeks of biking was quite uncomfortable until I got used to long periods on time on the bike. It is not as bad now since I am riding fairly regularly through the winter on the same seat. The difference for me it I don't tend to ride as long indoors, so there is still an adaptation time, but it isn't nearly as bad.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    First, the seat. As others have said it takes time to get the body accustomed to a bicycle seat. It's going to hurt a bit at first. Keep riding, it'll get better. Also as others have said, seats are a very personal thing. Any reputable shop should either have loaner seats or have a very liberal return policy. You cannot get a good evaluation of a seat by riding it around for ten minutes in a parking lot. It takes time to see if it's going to work for you

Second, I cannot overstate the importance of a bike fit. An experienced fitter will see and correct problems you might not notice until they become chronic injuries. Yes, fits can be expensive but so can physical therapy and other injury correction procedures. That's kind of dramatic and extreme, but it can and does happen. Getting a fit will also greatly increase your comfort on the bike and make you much more likely to keep riding. If a fit is simply not an option, get familiar with one of the local cycling groups and find out who the experienced guys are. Many of them can and will look you over and give you recommendations if you ask them nicely.

Good luck!
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Marshmella wrote: »
    I went even higher on my seat and now I feel I can stay on track longer. My seat is now about the same height as my handlebar. My hands don't feel as comfortable though so I guess I need to look up more videos.

Seat height relative to the handlebars is only part of the equation. The more critical component is seat height and fore/aft position relative to your cranks. Too high or too low, too far forward or too far back in relation to your pedals can and will cause knee discomfort and/or problems. Generally fitters will get your seat height and position set, then start worrying about height of the handlebar and seat-to-handlebar distance (called "stack and reach").

If your knee is bothering you, pay attention to knee tracking as well. Your knees should move straight up and straight down as you pedal. Any side-to-side motion is potentially bad.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Your bum will toughen up. Just make sure you have a decent seat that is level. I would not suggest a larger, fluffier seat. Just train your butt. I swear it gets better.
  • BluGnat
    BluGnat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Consistency is key. I'm a pretty avid rider, and if I skip a week, I feel it when restarting. You can Google on bike fit, too, to at least make sure you're in the ballpark for the right geometry so you don't get hurt. You definitely want your leg, at the lowest pedal stroke, to only have a slight bend in the knee. When you look down/over your handle bars, where the bars go through the stem, should align with your site with the front hub, if that makes sense.
  • Marshmella
    Options
    Hi just wondering if there are any beginning cyclist in the Glendale area that would like to make a group
  • Marshmella
    Options
    I'm 37 and would like to burn 60 lbs if that's even posible by cycling of course over time and with healthy eating and additional workouts at home