Bowflex ?? Thoughts?

Options
To my MF Pals:

Has anyone used one, or do you know anyone who has?

I need to either buy some home exercise equipment or join a gym this week. I've always been intrigued by the Bowflex and went to their website. The cheapest one is $899 - and I live in a small condo.

Unless it's a miracle product (as advertised), I think I'd be better off investing in a gym membership.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Cheryl

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    To my MF Pals:

I need to either buy some home exercise equipment or join a gym this week. I've always been intrigued by the Bowflex and went to their website. The cheapest one is $899 - and I live in a small condo.

Unless it's a miracle product (as advertised), I think I'd be better off investing in a gym membership.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Cheryl
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    A hundred years ago (OK, the 90s) I had a bowflex. It was a good machine, but if space is a premium, I think your instinct for the gym membership is better.

Also, at the gym, you have classes and cardio equipment and weight machines (oh my...) to choose from. I find it's very important to be able to switch up when you get bored, or when your body plateaus.

And, for me, I need to leave my house to exercise most of the time, otherwise the sofa starts to look awfully appealing.

just my thoughts...
  • CMJ1979
    Options
    I haven't used the bowflex, but I honestly think that going to the gym would be better because it's different machines which target different areas plus you will get to socialize and meet new people. You can also ask the employees of the club questions about different things. I doubt if BOWFLEX has as personal approach as a gym might. I myself am a member of a gym and I'm also doing TaeKwon-Do with my son twice a week. I plan to keep both of them up as long as I can physically do them.
  • dancinintherain
    Options
    when I was younger my dad wanted a bowflex deserately so we got him one for his birthday one year. He was all excited and yet I dont think he used it more than the first week we had it. Personally i thik they get boring
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get it.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I bought kettlebells. Smaller to store, versatile, excellent workout, cheaper.
  • crowleyed72
    crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    To my MF Pals:

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Cheryl
    To my MF Pals:

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Cheryl

So I wanted a bow flex so bad. I spent 1400 or so on one, used it a couple of times an ended up giving it to my father in law an it just sits in his shed.
    I'd go for a gym if there is a YMCA in your town I'd go for that mine has a lap pool, therapy pool, both machine and free weights, racket ball courts, basketball court, sauna, steam room, hot tub and a lot of cardio machines.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Well, since this was written in 2007, inquiring minds want to know...did you get the bowflex, @cmriverside?
  • cmriverside
    Options
    :lol:

Holy Zombie thread, Batman.

No Bowflex. I did join a gym for about a year, but I've made swimming and hiking my exercise and have lost all my weight and kept it off.

Check back in 10 more years and maybe I'll have one.

Nah, I'd buy one of those Precor AMT things. $10,000, tho...
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Everyone I have ever known to buy a Bowflex has tried at some point to sell it to me soooo I probably wouldn't bother lol

ETA: Just realized this is a zombie thread. Please don't try to sell me your Bowflex OP
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I gotta ask, @xchocolategirl - how did you even find this thread? Just to say, "No, don't buy one."

:laugh:

I don't know what's more awesome - that the necroposter dragged up a thread from ten years ago OR that the OP is still here, lost his weight, and didn't have to buy any gimmicks! I doff my hat to you, OP!
  • LessCookiess
    Options
    I gotta ask, @xchocolategirl - how did you even find this thread? Just to say, "No, don't buy one."

@cmriverside lol it was on the second page for me, so I responded to it. Congrats on losing weight without using a Boflex total success story!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

I don't know what's more awesome - that the necroposter dragged up a thread from ten years ago OR that the OP is still here, lost his weight, and didn't have to buy any gimmicks! I doff my hat to you, OP!

Funny thing is, Bowflex did a lot of commercials back in 2007, I don't know if they even sell them any more. I had just joined this site, my user/member number is #5978! There were hardly any members on this site back then, it was a super snarky place and only one person behind the scenes (Hi, Mike!) - there were probably a handful of new threads a day and I could post to every one of them, and was usually no dumber than anyone else in the thread. No "experts" just a bunch of people floundering along basically - no such thing as smart phones. So different than how it is now. :)

I find it hard to believe she found it on page two. Of course, who knows how the mysteries of the internet work?
  • LessCookiess
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

Funny thing is, Bowflex did a lot of commercials back in 2007, I don't know if they even sell them any more. I had just joined this site, my user/member number is #5978! There were hardly any members on this site back then, it was a super snarky place and only one person behind the scenes (Hi, Mike!) - there were probably a handful of new threads a day and I could post to every one of them, and was usually no dumber than anyone else in the thread. No "experts" just a bunch of people floundering along basically - no such thing as smart phones. So different than how it is now. :)

I find it hard to believe she found it on page two. Of course, who knows how the mysteries of the internet work?

Yes they sell them reason I know it wasn't worth the hype. I did some research on it before I think they sell for almost a grand. It's weird I've had this happen to me a few times where I respond to posts and it's super old and people tell me. I think the forum is pretty bustling these days kinda.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I don't think they work enough body parts.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    All I know is that Bowflex put out Sen. Harry Reid's eye.