Diabetes

Options
I have just been diagnosed with diabetes. Any nutrition advice. My doctor just said no white flour or rice. What should I be doing? Any good books to read up on this?

Replies

• Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    type one or type two?
  • johnsonlnw
    Options
    Hi Sarahsmom, I'm diabetic too and I wish it where as easy as not eating white flour and rice. A good cookbook that I like is called the glycemic index cookbook. The recipes are delicious. Mix it up with salads and give up pork. Fish dishes can be very filling and they won't send your blood sugar through the roof.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you check with your hospital to see if they offer Diabetes Education Classes. Just cutting our white rice and flour isn't going to cut it. *Pun NOT intended* A diagnosis such as this is SERIOUS.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    I would see a dietician who knows diets.Or ask for a diabetes information class.You need to educate yourself about the disease the food .
    good luck
    jane
  • cathyg18
    cathyg18 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you check with your hospital to see if they offer Diabetes Education Classes. Just cutting our white rice and flour isn't going to cut it. *Pun NOT intended* A diagnosis such as this is SERIOUS.

Agreed. About 6 years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I took the classes and they are VERY helpful. So, I spoke with a diatition and together we came up with a game plan that works for me. I currently take medication but I can tell you that exercising has helped along with watching my carbs. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Princess626
    Options
    Hospitals are great with their nutritional information and dieticians. However, if you can't speak with someone right away try following the glycemic index (wonderful advice I'm gotten from others on mfp).
    http://www.glycemicindex.com is a great website to start with!
  • sarahsmom89
    Options
    Type II