Zumba 1st timer

Options
Tried my first class today, didn't find it that all exciting. I did work up a sweat, but the instructor kept stopping to change the music. I might try it again... Is the class suppose to be nonstop for an hour?

Replies

• leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    There are little breaks in between songs. I personally don't stop moving when the music stops. March in place :) The only time I stop is to get a drink of water.
  • patty_cakes1957
    patty_cakes1957 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba, To bad the Instructor kept stopping. I hope you have a better time next time. Zumba your
    Off.
  • jamiegirl816
    Options
    try a different class. i have only done zumba once but i really liked it. and it was fun. but i think the instructor makes a big difference. i have lots of friends that really like it. so i would give it another chance. :)
  • Kiluvm
    Kiluvm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will take that approach.
  • JeanWalker109
    Options
    I've never done a live class, I've only done the DVDs and I really enjoy those. I don't know. Everything's not for everybody, but whether you choose to try Zumba a few more times, or go on to something else, I pray you find something that excites you and keeps you going.

Happy hunting.

*smiles*

Jean
  • Beckabooflip
    Beckabooflip Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Zumba is a GREAT way to burn some calories. It is supposed to be mostly non stop, just the time between the songs, and it should be super exciting. I am a Zumba instructor and have been teaching for 3 years. Perhaps your instructor is new, or was unprepared for class, which doesn't give you the real experience. I tell all first timers, try at at least twice, and if you still don't like, try two more times with a different instructor. I will be two completely different styles most likely, so you may like Zumba with one instructor and dislike it with another. Try it again, hopefully it will be better!
  • ek724q
    ek724q Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You could buy the DVDs that is what I did. That way you go off of the DVD they don't stop and it works u just have to keep doing it to get results. I did it at the begining of the year for 2 weeks and it was working then I got really sick and could not work out, so I stoped all together working out. I am back in the game now. It is time for me to move on with my life and be happy. :) Be Blessed!
  • mrs_uter
    mrs_uter Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm not sure if you use any gaming systems, but I have Zumba for my PS3 move and since the instructor is computer generated, I don't have to worry about frequent stops, etc. Zumba is most effective when your movement is continuous except for an occasional break to sip some water :)
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    try a different class. i have only done zumba once but i really liked it. and it was fun. but i think the instructor makes a big difference. i have lots of friends that really like it. so i would give it another chance. :)

this is very true!! I had an instructor the other night that just wasn't that great. I pushed myself hard the entire class but felt the need to go run on the treadmill after because I wasn't satisfied lol...
  • Kiluvm
    Kiluvm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I will definitely check out the DVD's to see how it should be done, and I will give it another try....
    @ leilanikam....that is exactly what I did today. I pushed myself thru the class, then got on the elliptical for 40 minutes b/c I felt like I didn't do enough..lol

Thanks alot every1, this really helps
  • 4myB
    4myB Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to the boards, but wanted to jump in. Definetly try a different instructor. It took me a few before I found one that I LOVE!! Every one has a different style and different intensity level. I've been to a few classes where I felt it was fun, but not the greatest workout. This instuctor has me look like I just got out of the pool, I'm sweating buckets. It's a great workout! You will also find that once you go to the same person a few times and start learning the choreography, you will get a better workout. Enjoy!
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Tried my first class today, didn't find it that all exciting. I did work up a sweat, but the instructor kept stopping to change the music. I might try it again... Is the class suppose to be nonstop for an hour?

You should not be stopping to change music during the class...I have taken a class under an instructor that does that and it really makes it hard to stay focused (even if you keep moving). I am a certified Zumba instructor (teaching my very first class TONIGHT!!!) and during our training we were told you never "stop the class" to change music or anything. The best thing is to either burn a CD with all the songs or put it on an MP3 player, etc.

I will make the same suggestion as a few others, try it again and if you still do not like it, try yet AGAIN with a different instructor. Every instructor is different.