Additional exercise to running

Options
Hi there, I'm new to MFP and my goal is to become leaner. I've managed to lose weight though exercise and diet changes and found my love for running a year ago. I run 3-4 times a week and it's my main form of exercise (with some hiking added in when the weather is good). I average 3-6 miles each run depending on how much energy I have. I saw a big improvement in running just before Christmas, and now seem to have hit a plateau, where my speed and length of runs is starting to slip. Just wondering what exercises compliment running and how I should be fitting this in around my normal running routine (which is usually, one day run, one day rest, one day run etc) without upsetting rest days for recovering

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Some form of resistance training can be helpful.

My preference is bodyweight, You Are Your Own Gym is a good plan
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You may want to supplement with Plyo training and incorporating intervals and/stairs. This will really improve your strength during running.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Strength training and yoga. Yoga is a great activity for an active rest day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    resistance training of some kind
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I second plyometrics. Check out some running websites (i.e. runnersworld.com). I've read several articles that talk about plyo training and how it improves running. I know I saw improvement when I incorporated it.
    Running bleachers is fun too, kind of plyo, kind of not. Motivating though :)
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I am now paying for not doing weight lifting while being a runner. So, that's my answer. Weight lifting /weight training, particularly your legs. If you can simply
    Incorporate a program like Stronglfts 5x5 to your running regimen then you will preven injuries , improve your overall running as well
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Are you always going out and running the same pace all the time? It may be time for a structured plan with a mixture of speed work and long, slow days. Some variety may help you get through your plateau.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I agree with JetJaguar - you may need to mix up your running. It looks like you are currently doing 30 -60 minutes or so. Try doing some longer runs and some faster ones. The best way to get faster is to do more miles, but you don't want to increase your miles too quickly. Can you add another day? Instead of running 20 mpw, build to 30 or so. Are you doing any racing? Maybe target a 10k or HM in a couple of months and follow a program to train for it.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Try a weighted vest.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Check out the Iron Strength DVD from Runners World.
    Yoga is good to keep you limber.
    When I'm not training for a race I lift at the gym.

You have been running long enough it may be time to start working on speed. The 2 best ways I've found is to run further (maybe sign up for a half marathon and follow a good training plan) and add a weekly speed workout. I'd suggest finding a coach for the speed work until you get the hang of it.

Good luck.
  • Eile46
    Eile46 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this! You've all given me some great tips :)