Scared of the gym

Options
I wanna start going to the gym, but I'm scared what over people would thing of me going there. Does anyone have tips of how to get over that or what would help. If you could let me know that would be great, also feel free to add me as a friend.

Replies

• KirbySmith46
    KirbySmith46 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I agree with Malibu. No ones going to be thinking about you at all! Just go and do your thing!
  • Intheseblueeyes
    Intheseblueeyes Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you both
  • Intheseblueeyes
    Options
    Thank you
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Here's a great read for you, spawned by many other threads exactly like this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10536013/what-fit-people-are-really-thinking-in-the-gym/p1

Don't let what other people might think (and they're not thinking what you think they're thinking) get in the way of you doing something awesome for yourself.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The people at the gym will think it's cool you're trying to improve yourself. The people not at the gym...it doesn't matter what they think.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Also you can't please people 100% of the time so who cares what they think of you. Just walk in with confidence and do your thing!
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Most of the time, people are not gonna be looking at you nor are they gonna care that much about what you're doing. Most people are concentrated on their own workout so no one is gonna make fun of you. In fact they might say hi and be friendly since you are a newcomer and a novice and they might even give you some pointers. Anyone who makes fun of you or is critical of what you do is a immature clown who probably lifts less than you do ;) and yes rerack your weights in the proper place and wipe the sweat off the bench or machines.
  • Intheseblueeyes
    Options
    Thank you
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I found that having a plan written by a personal trainer really helped me. I knew then exactly what I was doing and did it with confidence. I still haven't ventured down to the weights room but it will happen. Most gyms give you a free session with a trainer when you join. Best of luck.
  • Intheseblueeyes
    Options
    Thank you
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what works for me.

When I figure it out and actually step foot in a gym......
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you have any social anxiety it maybe best to go in the early morning or during business hours when it's less people.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Look at the mom and pop type training places as well if you aren't comfortable with a big box gym. I have one I'm with that less than a 100 bucks a month and the group classes almost never have more than 5 people. As close as you can get to personal training without the cost.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Another thing that I'd like to mention is that when I'm at the gym, I am pretty focused on what I'm doing. Generally I'm going to be looking at a window, television, some spot on the wall, or just eyes forward if I'm on a machine, or looking at the mirror with free weights.

About the only time I'm registering what's in front of my eyes is when I'm watching my own form to make sure I'm doing an exercise correctly, because otherwise I might not get the benefit of it, or worse, cause myself injury. All that other time, I'm not really seeing what's in front of my eyes. I'm thinking about my heart rate, whether I can do another set, should I add some weight, when is my next race, am I on target for my goal pace.

It's pretty normal to be in the zone like that. People won't be looking at and judging because they're not even really seeing you. They're inside their own head.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm going to disagree with the fact that SOME won't judge you...there has even been some video evidence of folks judging others in the gym.....

The point is one has to start somewhere. You can't stop people from judging its just a fact of life. You can only control what you to do improve you!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Nobody is thinking about you while they're working out :)
    UNLESS you're that one d-bag that leaves machines sweaty. We hate him.
  • Intheseblueeyes
    Options
    Thank you