Lost 29lbs in a month

Options
Like the title says I lost 29lbs in a month by just dieting. My original weight was 257 and went down to 229, 6'1. Wondering if I'm loosing weight too fast.

Replies

• jsotowd631
    jsotowd631 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to at least eat 2000 calories a day but I work graveyards and at times skip a meal. I just started doing meal preps to stop losing weight as fast. When I first started I was in it for the long game but now it just seems like I'm losing too much weight no matter what. I started a Vegan diet btw.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jsotowd631 wrote: »
    I've been trying to at least eat 2000 calories a day but I work graveyards and at times skip a meal. I just started doing meal preps to stop losing weight as fast. When I first started I was in it for the long game but now it just seems like I'm losing too much weight no matter what. I started a Vegan diet btw.

so it you're logging, how many cals are you actually eating?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Okay, 2000 should put you at a 2lb per week weight loss if you're fairly sedentary. How active is your job? You may need more than that if you are moving about a lot with work.

Meal prepping is a really good idea so that you can make sure you're not skipping meals. That alone could be wiping a good 500+ cals off your day (it would for me at 7 inches shorter and 90 lbs lighter). Also try to have quick, easy, nutrient-dense snacks handy for times you're too busy for a proper meal.

Vegan/not vegan makes no difference if you are eating the same calories. So if you're doing that for weight loss, no need. If you're doing for ethical reasons, carry on :). If you need help with vegan alternatives to meet your calorie and nutritional needs, sing out, we have several vegans in the community who will be happy to help.

As I said previously, some of it may be initial water weight loss. Try really hard to hit your 2000 cals for the next couple of weeks and see what pans out.
  • lindymacl
    lindymacl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'd be inclined to see a doctor to rule out other causes, if you're losing weight that fast.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options

You're probably eating less than you think one of the risks that you're putting yourself losing this much weight is losing muscle and dealing with loose skin. I would slow it down and start tracking your calorie intake better. I would reccomend reducing your rate of loss to 0.5 pounds, so you're properly nourishing your body, and also helping yourself recover from the quick weight loss.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you cannot each much on work nights, increase calories the other days. Think of a daily average for the week.
  • tramaine_21
    tramaine_21 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    All these tips are really good, hope they help you. I'm quite the opposite--I tend to plateau easily. I'm trying to add more protein to my diet--and change up my work out.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    What's your recent weekly loss?

I lost ~13 lbs my first couple weeks but then it stabilized at 2-3 lbs a week.

I'd suggest keeping it under 1% of your weight per week going forward.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    It can be down right hard to meet calorie goals on nothing but veggies, had an argument the other day about 1k calories of soda vs the same in broccoli, I pointed out that while its relatively easy to drink 4 20oz sodas in a day it might be rather difficult for someone to gnaw on five and a half pounds of broccoli in the same time frame.

If you are serious about going vegan you have to search out foods that not only provide the nutritional elements you need but foods that are calorie dense enough to be practical without resorting to absurd volumes of greens.
  • hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What?! Is there such a thing as too much?! I think thats great that your losing weight . Thats the whole point of this app. Since your eating 2000 a day ,,, you might just had lots of water weight to begin with . Also in the beginning many people lose alot of weight fast then it slows down .. plus you started pretty heavy to begin with. I say log in food ,eat as programmed and be happy your seeing results .... btw , thats just my opinion .
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What?! Is there such a thing as too much?! I think thats great that your losing weight . Thats the whole point of this app. Since your eating 2000 a day ,,, you might just had lots of water weight to begin with . Also in the beginning many people lose alot of weight fast then it slows down .. plus you started pretty heavy to begin with. I say log in food ,eat as programmed and be happy your seeing results .... btw , thats just my opinion .

Of course there is such a thing as too much weight loss. The body can only metabolise a certain amount of fat per day and then it goes on to muscle.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

There really is such a thing as too much. Your body can only mobilize so much fat at one time, so if you lose faster than that can happen you must be losing muscle as well. If you are very obese, you have some leeway for a little while, but I believe that's where the rec to lose no more than 1% of your body weight per week comes from.
  • susankoble
    susankoble Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Like the title says I lost 29lbs in a month by just dieting. My original weight was 257 and went down to 229, 6'1. Wondering if I'm loosing weight too fast.

So.... how do you feel? Are you feeling sick, weak, etc? Do you have lots of energy?
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

Yes there is. Malnutrition leads to hair loss, organ manfunction, vitamin deficiency, the list goes on.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    It can be down right hard to meet calorie goals on nothing but veggies, had an argument the other day about 1k calories of soda vs the same in broccoli, I pointed out that while its relatively easy to drink 4 20oz sodas in a day it might be rather difficult for someone to gnaw on five and a half pounds of broccoli in the same time frame.

If you are serious about going vegan you have to search out foods that not only provide the nutritional elements you need but foods that are calorie dense enough to be practical without resorting to absurd volumes of greens.

It's a good thing vegans eat a lot more than just vegetables then, including calorie-dense foods like pasta, potatoes, rice, oats, coconuts, avocados, beans, plant oils, sugar, maple syrup, wheat, and nuts/nut butters. None of them take a lot of searching, they're widely available.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    It's probably fine despite counter opinions.

When you're morbidly obese you carry a LOT (I mean a metric *kitten* load) of extra water in your muscles and fat (yes, fat cells can hold water). You will most likely not lose that much again the next month even if you tried. When I was 300+ it wasn't uncommon for me to drop 4-5lbs in a week after the initial water drop like you had. But that slows down with time.

Best advice anyone can give (or I can give at least) is plug your info into myfitnesspal, and do what it says in terms of calorie levels and exercise.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »

It's a good thing vegans eat a lot more than just vegetables then, including calorie-dense foods like pasta, potatoes, rice, oats, coconuts, avocados, beans, plant oils, sugar, maple syrup, wheat, and nuts/nut butters. None of them take a lot of searching, they're widely available.

I believe I covered that...
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm think it's a loss of fat, muscle and a lot water weight. I think fat is made up of 10% water while muscle has 75%.

Are you getting enough protein? I'm sure there are vegetarian friendly protein food/ supplements out there.