Change

Options
Bribrayy
Bribrayy Posts: 13 Member
Hey y'all! I'm at my highest weight of about 250 lbs.

I'm done feeling and looking the way I do and I'm ready for a change. I'm a college student, so there isn't much options when it pertains to food due to me living in a dorm with no kitchen. Not saying that as a excuse. However I've always had a soda addiction and I know it's only for the flavoring. Monday April 17th was my first day of being soda free and I'm trying to push away from drinking it. After I get done with this cold I do plan on working out at the gym.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could do at the gym to loose weight (belly fat). I've heard running is a great way,but I would love to hear from others.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Weight loss comes from having a calorie deficit. To help make most of your loss fat you don't want to lose more than 1% bodyweight per week, get enough protein, and strength train.
  • storytelinor
    storytelinor Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was at my highest weight at 250 too! That was last September, and I have since lost about 16lbs (took a few months of just maintaining that loss because, Life, and now getting back to eating deficit, exercise, etc.) My current goal is getting back down to my high school weight of 190 (which was about 15 years ago! Yikes!) and then I'll see what happens!

Great job cutting the soda! This is going to be hard right now, but I swear it's worth it! You got this!!

I would suggest not starting with running, especially if it's something you've never done before. Running is hard on your joints, both short and long term. Also, if you didn't run track in high school or similar, you probably won't like it! :lol:
    This all adds up to a stronger likelihood of you giving up (been there/done that)

I'm a big fan of walking, which you can probably do around your campus or on the treadmill. Also, some college gyms offer classes - consider taking Zumba or another dance based aerobics class. The previous poster is right - you can't spot reduce, like only doing crunches to get a flat stomach, but cardio is a great way to get that calories in/calories out arithmetic working!

Best of luck! Feel free to send me a friend request!
  • dragona10
    dragona10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good for you for cutting off soda, it really does no good to your body! And I feel your pain for the school caf, there is not really much healthy choices there in general.
    First thing I wanna tell you is just be patient and don't expect to see the changes right after changing your habits. Your body will take some time to adjust but once you start seeing and feeling changes you will feel so happy and accomplished.
    For begging just try not to do anything crazy that your body is not used to. You can totally start w some long walks around campus and once you feel comfortable you can start w some slow jogging. Later on you can start engaging into some specific exercises, but basically it's all about the balance between food intake and activity.
    So once you reduce bad eating habits(just cut down on unhealthy snacks,sugar, and fried food) and do some light activities, you will definitely see and feel the changes!
    You can totally do it!! It's all about the mindset, decided to start today, and stick w it! Good luck :)
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Get into logging your calories. Even with cafeteria food, you can make it work. Stay true to the numbers MFP gives you and the weight will fall off. Exercise will only help, it's really all about the calories.

As for soda, I've noticed that after not drinking it for a while I don't even want it anymore. Every once in a while I'll drink it, but it's a very rare occasion.
  • TrueGrit1906
    TrueGrit1906 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs is key. I work on a college campus and I know they don't always offer the healthiest food. Check with your dinning director to see if they have a nutritionist on staff. That would help. Running IS a good way to lose belly fat. Burn more calories than you consume...minimize sugary and fried foods. Stay away from packaged snacks. Large breakfast, medium sized lunch, minimal dinner. Just some ideas.