trying to eat "normally"

Options
Hey guys

So Ive been thinking a lot lately, reflecting on my own weight loss journey and reading many personal stories and posts on here. I think I may have finally had an ephiany as to why I have yo yoed my whole life. Whenever I have lost weight, its always been by eating foods that Ive never actually really enjoyed, its been diet foods or restricting food groups. As soon as ive reached my goal I go back to eating the foods i enjoyed and the weight piles back on-plus add in 4 children in 8 years ;).

The thing is, at the moment for lunch i am having cooked meat, either chicken breast or salmon with a salad. I dont look forward to it and dont enjoy the taste of it but I eat it because its 'healthy". I have an irrational fear of carbs. All i really want for lunch is a nice big filling sandwhich you know? And then i thought, there is nothing wrong with a sandwhich amd its something that is quick, yummy and easy. I can see myself eating this while losing these last 10kgs as well as at maintenance-sustainable for life. I am trying to be smarter about it this time round.

Its the same with dinner. I cook something separate for myself that is low carb, like practically an omelette every night, when all I want to do is eat a normal dinner with my kids and husband.

Do you think its reasonable if i can eat like this and achieve weight loss still? Like have spaghetti bol but just a small portion with my family? I just so want this to be easier on me for the long term, and I think this is where I have failed in the past with weight loss.

My apologies if this sounds silly, I know it essentially comes down to CICO. I have had problems with binge eating and restricting and I have been trying to find the right balance for a while now.I have just been led to believe that eating carbs is evil for such a long time now. I am wanting to maintain so badly when I reach my goal. I would love to hear from others who eat the things they want to eat because it tastes good, just smaller portions and still lose weight.

Cheers, Willlow

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I personally like eating volumes of food, so find it difficult to just eat small portions of certain foods. I do love the food I eat, but often wish I could just eat a sandwich or a bowl of pasta - I don't as I know I wouldn't be completely satisfied if that was something I did every day.

I cycle my carbs to give me the ability to enjoy this stuff once a week (whilst dieting) - Sunday is often pizza, pasta, burgers chips, proper desserts, pancakes, toasted sandwiches etc. I'm so busy during the week that I don't really have time to feel deprived.

Other times I make substitutions - zucchini noodles instead of pasta (which I don't mind as the sauce and cheese is delicious), curry/stew over vegies instead of rice, or Cauliflower rice. I don't typically eat breakfast as I prefer having something sweet every night (fruit, yoghurt and nuts) - I could use these calories/macros for an earlier meal, or some bread, rice or pasta, but I'd rather dessert :)

ETA: we don't have kids, my husband and I both train and compete/diet together, so eat similar but slightly different meals. Cooking separately is no issue for us, but it's not like we're cooking completely different things.
  • willow8220
    willow8220 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Your first paragraph nailed it! No, you're right- vegetables are great and they do contain carbs, I just want a bit of bread to go with them in a sandwich lol. Thanks for your great tips, the cooking separate meals thing is killing me.
  • willow8220
    Options
    I personally like eating volumes of food, so find it difficult to just eat small portions of certain foods. I do love the food I eat, but often wish I could just eat a sandwich or a bowl of pasta - I don't as I know I wouldn't be completely satisfied if that was something I did every day.

I cycle my carbs to give me the ability to enjoy this stuff once a week (whilst dieting) - Sunday is often pizza, pasta, burgers chips, proper desserts, pancakes, toasted sandwiches etc. I'm so busy during the week that I don't really have time to feel deprived.

Other times I make substitutions - zucchini noodles instead of pasta (which I don't mind as the sauce and cheese is delicious), curry/stew over vegies instead of rice, or Cauliflower rice. I don't typically eat breakfast as I prefer having something sweet every night (fruit, yoghurt and nuts) - I could use these calories/macros for an earlier meal, or some bread, rice or pasta, but I'd rather dessert :)

Thanks for your reply. I also dont feel hungry at breakfast but force myself to eat because again, i believe it to be the right thing to do. Dinner is not always pasta in our house, but I have even become afraid of eating a nice casserole or soup with my family, its ridiculous. I just dont know at what point I developed such a difficult relationship with food.....

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    willow8220 wrote: »
    I also dont feel hungry at breakfast but force myself to eat because again, i believe it to be the right thing to do.

Breakfast is not necessary for weightloss. 9/10 days I skip breakfast and add the calories onto lunch or dinner (these extra calories would also help you with eating "normal" dinners). The biggest problem people face with skipping breakfast is getting hungry at 10am and eating a packet of biscuits because they got hungry.
  • willow8220
    Options
    Thats very well spoken thank you. I seem to do well the times i do skip breakfast. I usually have a protein bar or greek yoghurt about 10 am. I think it would be a big benefit eating something extra in the arvo when I am peckish rather than eating breakfast when i am just not hungry..its all about listening to my body.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Eating what satisfies you is the most sustainable way to lose weight and maintain that loss.

I have never worried about carbs. Calories and protein are the only things I really paid attention to.

I ate exactly what I ate before losing weight, just had smaller portions of high cal food and bigger portions of lower cal food.

I was a coffee and 2 biscuits (cookies) for breakfast type person, just not into eating early in the day. I switched that a couple of years ago to a protein bar and orange with my coffee, it has really helped keep my protein levels higher and
    It is about the same calories, gives me a sweet treat, but has better nutrition.

I lost my weight, and have maintained that loss for 7 years.

I think you have got it right this time.

Cheers, h.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I also don't enjoy rabbit food. That's why one of the reasons I practice IF. I like big "real" meals. So I eat most of my calories in one meal. I have a hard time reaching my protein goal( 150 gr) in one meal though, so I drink a couple of protein drinks too.
  • willow8220
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback middlehaitch and ironandwine!
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by eating normally. I never tell people they should do as I do. This has been my experience for what is working for my body.

I was not getting enough carbs to fuel my workouts on low carb. My weight was going up/stalling. I found a program that allows whole wheat bread (sandwich thins or one slice) Whole wheat pasta, Sweet potatoes, and brown rice. All in small amounts. The scale started moving again.

Not promoting this app. But this is what I'm doing at this time.
    Labrada Lean 12 week trainer at body building.com.
    https://bodybuilding.com/fun/lee-labrada-12-week-lean-body-trainer.html

Best of luck to you in hitting your goals,
    Jenn
  • willow8220
    Options
    Thanks Jenn, I will check out the link. Yes I guess the word 'normal' looks different for every individual. Normal for me is eating a meal without added stress about cutting out certain food groups, and eating now how I would like to when i reach maintenance. It means sitting down and eating the same meal as my husband and children and not feel guilty if I have a dinner that is not low carb. Not having to cook separate meals for myself and eating a bit more intuitively, listening to my hunger cues and cravings.
  • willow8220
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    1) When I started with MFP, I started craving bread for the first time in my life. Prior to MFP I didn't eat much bread at all. However, since I was craving bread, I started eating bread. I have a slice of bread every day now.

2) When I started with MFP, I decided that I was going to eat only foods I like. I wasn't going to waste my calories on anything I didn't like. :)

3) I eat normally ... just a little less.

4) I lost the weight I wanted to lose, and I've kept it off for 18 months. :)

Thats so wonderful and this is exactly what I am striving for, thanks for your reply. It gives me hope. Congrats on your loss and having kept it off!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat most of the same foods I always ate and that my family eats. I like lots of different foods and I do not actually eat food I don't like. I usually have 100-300 calorie breakfast, 400 lunch, 500 dinner. I generally have 100-300 calories for snacks.
    There are a lot of recipes that fit my dinner calorie goal just fine.

Typically I eat things like this:
    Breakfast- low prep foods like Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese
    Lunch- things like sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. Soup once a week usually.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, dark chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese

To help me eat what I want I prelog my food and adjust portion sizes to fit my goals. I look at calories first, then meeting my protein goal. When I do that it seems to naturally moderate carb intake.
    I try to eat several servings of vegetables or fruits a day.
    I pair higher calorie foods with more lower calorie vegetables. I reduce calories in foods by using less cheese, less oil, lower fat milk, thinner crust for pizza. I might skip rice or bread if it doesn't fit well that day.
    Common sense tells me don't try to have doughnuts, stuffed crust pizza, fried chicken, bacon cheeseburger and a peanut butter shake all in one day and expect to stick to my calorie goal.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    When I first began I slashed carbs cause carbs made you fat in my mind. By inadvertently creating a deficit by not eating them, I lost weight and therefor it "worked". Of course I couldn't live my life without carbs so I'd lose and gain and lose and gain. I listened to the people I was convinced had better metabolisms, were lucky or plain crazy when I began to reintroduce carbs slowly (because I was skeptical lol) and low and behold, I'm down 80lbs 4 years later and kept all but 10lbs off (my own fault, got lazy!) Anyhow, we all have to come to this realization and we are constantly learning and changing. You've come to some good conclusions, people that are open to change and other ideas are usually the ones that make it to goal. The ones with their head firmly in the sand are usually the ones that dont; so congrats!
  • magpie0829
    magpie0829 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I first tried to lose weight I did exactly what you did by cutting out certain foods and making myself eat things that I wasn't overly fond of or excited about because I considered it "healthy." Now, I eat what I like. Period. I just watch my portions and try to balance out the "bad" with the "good." I also pre-log my food the night before. This way I can adjust what I am going to eat to be within my calorie goal, instead of trying to figure things out when I am hungry and just want to eat! On the days I know I will be going for a decent length run or doing a high intensity workout I will even allow myself to go over my calorie max by a couple hundred because I know that I will be burning those off with my workout.

Losing weight and getting healthy is important to me, but getting there by being miserable with what I am eating is no way to achieve my goals. I love food too much to eat stuff that I hate just because it is considered "healthy." I want to enjoy my life, which includes yummy food. So will I still down a chocolate milkshake? Sure. I will just do so a lot less then I use to.

In the end, you just have to find a process that works for you and is something that you can maintain for the long run.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Could you have a little of what you want and then a big salad on the side to help you feel full? So long as the dressing isn't a calorie bomb.
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    willow8220 wrote: »
    Hey guys

So Ive been thinking a lot lately, reflecting on my own weight loss journey and reading many personal stories and posts on here. I think I may have finally had an ephiany as to why I have yo yoed my whole life. Whenever I have lost weight, its always been by eating foods that Ive never actually really enjoyed, its been diet foods or restricting food groups. As soon as ive reached my goal I go back to eating the foods i enjoyed and the weight piles back on-plus add in 4 children in 8 years ;).

The thing is, at the moment for lunch i am having cooked meat, either chicken breast or salmon with a salad. I dont look forward to it and dont enjoy the taste of it but I eat it because its 'healthy". I have an irrational fear of carbs. All i really want for lunch is a nice big filling sandwhich you know? And then i thought, there is nothing wrong with a sandwhich amd its something that is quick, yummy and easy. I can see myself eating this while losing these last 10kgs as well as at maintenance-sustainable for life. I am trying to be smarter about it this time round.

Its the same with dinner. I cook something separate for myself that is low carb, like practically an omelette every night, when all I want to do is eat a normal dinner with my kids and husband.

Do you think its reasonable if i can eat like this and achieve weight loss still? Like have spaghetti bol but just a small portion with my family? I just so want this to be easier on me for the long term, and I think this is where I have failed in the past with weight loss.

My apologies if this sounds silly, I know it essentially comes down to CICO. I have had problems with binge eating and restricting and I have been trying to find the right balance for a while now.I have just been led to believe that eating carbs is evil for such a long time now. I am wanting to maintain so badly when I reach my goal. I would love to hear from others who eat the things they want to eat because it tastes good, just smaller portions and still lose weight.

Cheers, Willlow

I understand how you feel. I am completely going through the same thing right now.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I missed this the first time, but my big revelation that I think helped so much with weight loss (others probably consider it obvious, but clearly not everyone) was that I can and should eat food that felt just like normal food and, especially, that I really enjoyed. I actually focus more on taste when on a deficit, since I have fewer calories to play with and have to make them count.

I also am concerned with nutrition, but I think too many people see taste and nutrition as opposed or "dieting" as about being virtuous and virtue meaning no pleasure. That's a shame. No reason a healthy diet can't include the foods you love and you can't consider taste in preparing foods.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I also missed this the first time around. I hope OP is still active, I'd love to hear how things are going for her. In hopes that you are still reading OP, or for others reading along - when I first started on MFP I quickly realized that if I was making sweeping changes and cutting out foods I really enjoy, I was far less likely to stick with it and achieve my goal. So I decided rather than cutting things out, I would add things to my lifestyle. More protein, more vegetables, more whole grains, more exercise, more sleep. By doing this, and prioritizing the healthy things, I found that I had just enough room to keep the foods and drinks I really enjoy in there, but in small enough amounts or infrequently enough to keep it manageable. I still drink wine, eat ice cream, pizza once a week with my family. I never make separate meals, and I don't fear any food group. I lost the weight I set out to lose and then some (~35 lbs) and am currently maintaining, and never felt deprived or restricted with this approach.

I think it would be helpful OP, for you to spend some time thinking about why you think carbs or certain foods are bad. Where did that idea come from, how deeply rooted is it? Do you have issues controlling yourself around certain foods, issues that might prevent you from successfully moderating your intake of them? Or do you think you'd be able to eat a small serving of pasta (bulked up with veggies, protein and sauce - I spiralize but add it to regular pasta for bulk)?