Calorie free foods

Options
Hi all

I'm the worlds worst diet fiend! So I've joined this app and am on 1200 calories a day which is actually ok considering I am not exercising at present. 2 x meal replacement shakes a day, 1 x piece of fruit and a gousto dinner plan in the eve. Lots of water and caffeine free tea. Day two and I'm feeling ok but what "free food" can I eat should I not want to go over my calorie count? Is there anything on this app that has a list of low/free calorie foods?

Any suggestions or ideas would be great! I have my wedding dress fitting July 1st so need to shed 1 stone 7lbs to hit my ideal weight. I have a dog which I walk for about 45 mins each day, much longer weekends. But my idea of exercising is something physically active which is my weakness as I've got in to that lazy phase lately.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Replies

• BlueberryJoghurt
    BlueberryJoghurt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Look up your favourite veggies, most are quite low in cals. Not free but low and usually healthy! (:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    No such thing, but veggies with lots of water like celery and cucumber are very low calorie.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Not much of anything is very low calorie.....lettuce, celery, cucumbers, pickles, sugar-free jello, non-fat broth.

Drinking my calories doesn't do nearly as much for me as eating (chewing) food. 1200 is a default minimum (for nutrition) - unless you are very petite, it may not be enough calories for you. Exercise would earn you additional calories.
  • ledgey91
    ledgey91 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Celery and salsa was a nice little snack I went for when I was at the height of my dieting - mixed with a bit of fat free cottage cheese too every now and then. I also mixed a lot of frozen fruit with quark/greek yogurt for a low calorie snack, high in protein.

Strawberries/Blueberries are great to have in the fridge too, low calorie and they taste amazing. Actually most fruit or veg, hell I even snacked on lettuce at times.

Plenty of lists online for ideas, for instance.

• mattdhall
    mattdhall Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Shirataki Noodles are supposed to be very low in calories. They are sometimes marketed as 'zero calorie' or 'miracle' noodles. I haven't seen them at any of the grocery stores I go to, but I've heard mixed feelings about the taste and texture. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirataki_noodles
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ditto on high fiber vegetables. And 1200 might be a bit extreme depending on your current height and weight. With so few calories, you'll probably be more sated if you ditch the meal replacement shake and fruit in lieu of meals with a large volume of fiber-rich low-calorie-density vegetables along with some protein source. If you stay at 1200 calories/day, you'll need to watch macros a bit more closely.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    water. and air
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as free food. Everything has calories, and calories are what matter at the end of the day.

I would also ditch the shakes - drinking calories doesn't satiate or satisfy me at all, I need to eat a proper meal. Sure, it takes more time and planning, but it may make you more successful long term in sticking to your plan.
  • viccifox1
    viccifox1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help and advice. I'm 6'1ft and a size 12. Want to get back to my cosy 8-10. So your suggesting fruit and yoghurt type food for breakfast?

With my shakes, as I can't eat dairy, wheat or gluten I use almond milk as a great alternative as it's much thicker.

I really struggle with portion control which is why I have these meal shakes and gousto meals otherwise I'd hugely fill my plate. Even tried using a small plate which was mundane!

I love the idea of celery and salsa and other veg. Will give that a go and keep you updated!

Thanks for your help again =)
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    The only thing that is calorie free is water.

Ice is the only potential negative calorie as it takes 0.25 calories of energy to warm a single cube to body temperature so that it can be absorbed.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    As others have said, water is the only thing with no calories.

A lot of veggies are very low calorie, and if you prep them and keep raw veggies on hand you can have quick, low calorie snacks. I personally like celery, carrots, cucumber, bell peppers, jicama & radishes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with portion control
    When you get to goal weight you are going to have to learn this skill, would suggest starting the learning process now rather than wait. Meal replacements are a very short term band-aid for a long term problem.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My mother has been buying these "calorie free noodles"---It's called Pasta Zero. To be honest I'm scared to try it, but she says she likes it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Considering how tall you are, I'd even question if you need such low calories. Also, I'd recommend dropping the shakes and learning what foods you can eat to help keep you full so when you transition to maintenance you don't just go wild.

I am a volume eater, so egg whites, chicken and other lean meats, white fish and non oily fish, low sugar veggies, and low sugar fruits are great. But I also find a baked potato (which starchy) really fills me up. So sometimes those higher calorie foods help keep you full longest.

Also, generally protein and fiber are highly correlated to fullness. And adding exercise is a great way to become fit and add more calories.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You are trying to lose less than 25 lbs which means you should be aiming to lose no more than 1 lb/week. Additionally, those 45 minute walks and longer on the weekend DO count as exercise and you should be logging and eating some of those calories back. I think 1200 is too low for someone of your height and close to a healthy weight so I suspect you've chosen the most aggressive "lose 2 lbs/week" goal.

Since you are excited about getting married, you may really want to reconsider if the goal is to shed the weight as quickly as possible for that dress fitting or if a more moderate deficit combined with some strength training might give you even better results.

Lastly, I would be miserably hungry on so little "food". I'm 5'2 and lost ~ 30 lbs eating between 1600-1900 with no meal replacement shakes. Portion control is something you're going to have to learn eventually. Logging diligently, ideally using a food scale, may help with that.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    viccifox1 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help and advice. I'm 6'1ft and a size 12. Want to get back to my cosy 8-10. So your suggesting fruit and yoghurt type food for breakfast?

With my shakes, as I can't eat dairy, wheat or gluten I use almond milk as a great alternative as it's much thicker.

I really struggle with portion control which is why I have these meal shakes and gousto meals otherwise I'd hugely fill my plate. Even tried using a small plate which was mundane!

I love the idea of celery and salsa and other veg. Will give that a go and keep you updated!

The absolute best thing you can do right now is eat normal food and learn portion control. Unless you plan to drink shakes for the rest of your life, or you want to have to go on a diet every time you need to fit into something or have an event coming up.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    If you are 6'1" (185cm) then 1200 calories is probably to low. Set up MFP for 1 Lbs loss per week and eat to that target. Also replace 1 of the shakes with real food. Eat a balanced diet of carb, proteins and fats. No need for extremes and making yourself miserable.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    viccifox1 wrote: »

I really struggle with portion control which is why I have these meal shakes and gusto meals otherwise I'd hugely fill my plate. Even tried using a small plate which was mundane!

At 6'1" - 1200 calories isn't nearly enough. With large deficits it's harder for your body to maintain existing lean muscle mass......so you lose weight (fat+muscle) but you don't lower your body fat % by as much as you could have. A lower body fat % is healthy weight loss.

Portion control is why I don't use meal replacements. Yes, measuring actual food is a pain. The alternative, not measuring food teaches me nothing. I've lost weight & regained. Maintenance takes work. If you want to stay a size 8 you will need to learn to stop filling your plate.....or do cycles of weight loss shakes for years to come.