Carbs , calories what the hell works ?

Options
Stuff this low carb , im constipated , I'm
2lb heavier and I'm
Sick of halloumi! I gone in a huff and ate 6 biscuits !!' Back to calorie counting ha xxx. I read that calories don't matter when your doing low carb ?

Replies

• Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Counting calories work. I have added Fiber bars as my treat and even ate mayo last night. The constipation is resolving itself. Add some fiber and fat into your daily diet.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Calories always matter--count them with a digital food scale, and try to stay within your calorie goal everyday. Consistency wins. Move more and MFP will give you more calories to eat. Low carb, paleo, keto, all ways of eating, but not necessary unless you have specific health problems. Eat what you like--just less. Good luck.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Calories works for everyone. Counting carbs works for SOME by inadvertently creating a caloric deficit; but not everyone will naturally eat below maintenance by cutting carbs. You need to count calories but there is no need to suffer by also cutting out a food group unless you have a medical reason to do so.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Calories do matter when you are doing low carb. Some people naturally eat fewer calories on low carb, so they maintain or lose without having to count. Sometimes this happens because it's a significant diet change, you cut out the foods you used to overeat, and it takes a while to come up with new things to overeat. Sometimes it happens because you find yourself satiated on less with low carb.

I had a similar thing happen when I was doing a 100% plant based diet for Lent one year. I didn't intend to lose, but I lost quite a bit, probably because I hadn't yet figured out what the high cal things I could overeat were, heh. I suspect that if I had stayed with that diet I'd have figured it out and found a way to maintain or gain, as with any other diet.

Low carb can be beneficial to some even if they still have to count calories or watch them somewhat because they find it easier to hit their calorie goal. Lately I find lowering carbs makes me less likely to overeat, which hasn't always been my experience (and I'm not especially low carb, more like 100 g).
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Count calories, eat less than your TDEE, lose weight.

What you eat to hit your calories does not matter.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    Calories do matter with low-carb. If you are constipated you either need to up your fat intake or magnesium. There are other things to eat than halloumi, aaannnd 6 biscuits wouldn't derail you.

Sounds like you were looking for the 'quick fix' mis-guided people have been hearing about. *eye-roll*
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    calories matter, carb or no carb doesn't matter.... eat in a way that's healthy and sustainable, and eat ina calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    No matter what you call it, or how you are losing the weight, it is ALWAYS a result of eating less calories than your body is burning. ALWAYS.
    How you arrive there may have many different names, but to get there, you are eating less calories than you burn.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    This is an easy question to answer! It's all about consuming fewer calories than you burn. :)
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Did low carb many times and the only reason it worked for me is I got sick of protein and fat so ended up eating less. The initial weight loss is water. Low Cal works and is sustainable over a long period of time where low carb for me was impossible to maintain. If you had a big loss at the beginning of your low carb you will gain that back in the beginning of low cal so don't get discouraged. In time the water balance in your body will normalize and you will begin to lose fat.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm on keto and calories still count. Keto just makes it real easy to stay at my calorie limit because it slays my hunger but YMMV. We are not all the same, what works for me, may not work for you.

You have to discover what will work for you...but...calories will always count in your personal formula whatever it turns out to be.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    No real need for low carb just start at like 30 to 40 carbs and work up to where u start to put weight back on then take 10 grams off a week until u start to lose weight - got to have carbs for energy more so if u run n do cardio too
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Stuff this low carb , im constipated , I'm
    2lb heavier and I'm
    Sick of halloumi! I gone in a huff and ate 6 biscuits !!' Back to calorie counting ha xxx. I read that calories don't matter when your doing low carb ?

I found out, while carb cycling that I always was constipated after low carb days. For me, fiber and whole grains really makes things better. Plus I am a volume eater and low carb makes me depressed by how little food there is.