Words of Advice

Options
I have tried weight loss several times before. I work many hours so exercising consistently is a challenge and I have a desk based job. When I have consistently exercised, weight loss has been minimal so its discouraging. Recently we started a weight loss challenge at work and I am trying to log my food and do exercising. Are there any tips for people who have experienced similar challenges, whether it be exercise, food, motivational - Appreciate it

Replies

• fightorflight12
    fightorflight12 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too, I appreciate its super difficult. Feel free to add me to do this journey together though!
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Weighing portions in grams on a food scale and using the correct database entries for food items (like the USDA nutritional database values) will make your log more accurate and therefore help you be more successful.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't strictly necessary for weight loss. It is good for you and earns calories for extra food though :wink: Good logging is most important. Get a food scale and weigh your portions. Double check the MFP database entries you're using for accuracy. Log EVERYTHING. I'm an office worker bee who generally only incorporates light activity at this point (walking). This works for me.

MFP probably won't win you any weight loss challenges. It's designed for the long haul - slow, steady, sustainable loss. It's likely someone at your work will cut out 80% of their normal foods, labeling them as 'bad,' and eat far too little while burning far too much to be sustainable. They may 'win' but not be able to keep the weight off.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    susanlwd wrote: »
    I have tried weight loss several times before. I work many hours so exercising consistently is a challenge and I have a desk based job. When I have consistently exercised, weight loss has been minimal so its discouraging. Recently we started a weight loss challenge at work and I am trying to log my food and do exercising. Are there any tips for people who have experienced similar challenges, whether it be exercise, food, motivational - Appreciate it

Incidental cardio (general walking around during the day, etc) makes a big difference. Also, you'll be more alert and productive. Set aside 15 minutes morning and afternoon to head outside for a walk.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm also stuck at a desk most of the day. Now that the weather's nice, I'll try to go for a 15 or 20 minute walk on my lunch break. I'll also get up and walk over to someone's desk to talk to them instead of calling. Sometimes I'll just get up and walk a loop of the office for no reason other than to stretch my legs.

Maybe since the office is doing a weight loss challenge you can get a group of people together to do a group walk? My office recently did health and safety training about reducing strain by getting up, stretching, moving, etc. So every now and then someone will announce a stretch break and everyone gets up and does it (we're kind of a goofy office already).

Weight loss starts with food, though. So log consistently, weigh your portions, and make smart choices. I know I'll get into the junk if it's at home or work so I've pitched it. I set myself up for success by doing meal prep on the weekends - pack lunches and snacks for work, chop up veg for dinners, even pack my stay-at-home wife some lunches and snacks so she can make the right choices. This weekend I even made enchiladas to toss in the freezer for later this week.

Feel free to add me, I have a diary open for friends and I only occasionally whine on my feed.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have desk job too. I work out between 30-45 minutes a day on most days, but my diet does most of the work.

Weight goals is 80% diet and 20% exercise.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    The closer what you eat while losing weight comes to what you'll be eating when you reach your goal, the more sustainable you'll find it. There are no foods that are inherently bad (with the likely exception of trans-fats). There are foods that you may find aren't usually 'worth' the calories because they don't go a long way toward helping you stay full. That doesn't mean you can't have them, just that you need to moderate them*.

(A personal example: on Hannukah, two of the traditional foods are potato latkes and doughnuts. I checked calories and decided that one regular latke was workable, but 240-270 calories for a custard or jelly doughnut was just more than I wanted to allocate. But I decided that I could fit a half of a custard doughnut in for 120 and still stay within my totals for the day.)

Pre-logging has gone a long way toward helping me deal with the guilt and negative self-talk that always used to follow my treats. It's not the high-calorie/low-nutrient food that 'ruins' my weight loss. It's the panic and regret and negative self-talk that convinces me the day is blown and I might as well gorge now that I need to watch out for. When I log in advance what I want to eat, it helps me see that, "Yes. I can have two slices of bread with lunch; I can have that piece of birthday cake at my nephew's party this afternoon. And if I have X for breakfast, Y with the bread for lunch and Z for supper... I'll still be within my calories for the day. And if I have time to exercise? I can even have a couple of snacks if I want/need them." So, when I have that cake at the party? I have it without the guilt. Because suddenly, the 'treat' isn't a 'cheat'. It's a choice. (And sometimes, as in the case with the doughnut above, I can choose NOT to have it or to have less than I thought.)

*You may find that you need to eliminate certain foods because they are harder for you to moderate. That's me and butterscotch. I won't keep butterscotch fudge ripple ice cream in my freezer, because I know I CAN go through a quart in a day or two, just a scoop here a spoon there. On the other hand, if I'm going out for ice cream with friends and I know I'm just getting one cone? I'll check the calories and if they fit, I'll have the butterscotch. I just won't get more for my freezer.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I find data collection to be helpful. I like to see my progress visually.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I've lost 77 pounds just logging my food (reduced calories of course) and walking. I also have a desk job. I take the longest route to the ladies room whenever I go which is much more often now that I'm drinking 8 glasses of water. I go for a walk on the morning "coffee break" and at lunch time. I have found that walking reduces my stress load and warms me up since I am constantly cold since dropping so much weight, lol. For me the key was in taking small steps to my goal. Do what you can but don't give up if you have less exercise one day. I take Sunday's off from walking but log my food every day which really is what is the most important.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,066 Member
    Options
    I too have a desk job but I had no problem losing weight.

It all comes down to consuming fewer calories than you burn. :) So I cut back on what I ate. I also logged meticulously and consistently and never ever went over my calories for the two sets of 16 weeks I was on a mission to lose weight.

Of course, I do exercise as well but I incorporate it into my day most days. I walk as part of my commute, I walk at lunch, I walk after work, and I climb stairs during coffee breaks.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I can out-eat my exercise deficit in about 30 seconds; food for thought (calorie free of course lol)
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have a desk job and although I seem to be losing slower with HIIT circuit training and other exercise (probably because of water weight fluctuations due to DOMS and retaining lean muscle weight), I can tell a hell of a difference in the tape measure (and mirror) compared to when I tried to lose with diet alone.

My advice is to weigh everything with a digital scale and measuring cups/spoons for your liquids and try to measure your burns with a HRM if possible (but if you're just using MFP's estimates only eat back a percentage until you get to know how accurate it's being). Also log everything even if it's just a nibble or drink or condiment here and there (they add up), and remember to log on weekends even if you know you're going to go over maintenance keep track (I used to just bury my head if I was having a blow out day). Protein and fat tends to help a little with satiety compared to refined carbs too but mostly it's calories in vs calories out, also don't overly restrict your cals, do what's sustainable. Good luck! x
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Exercise isn't strictly necessary for weight loss. It is good for you and earns calories for extra food though :wink: Good logging is most important. Get a food scale and weigh your portions. Double check the MFP database entries you're using for accuracy. Log EVERYTHING. I'm an office worker bee who generally only incorporates light activity at this point (walking). This works for me.

MFP probably won't win you any weight loss challenges. It's designed for the long haul - slow, steady, sustainable loss. It's likely someone at your work will cut out 80% of their normal foods, labeling them as 'bad,' and eat far too little while burning far too much to be sustainable. They may 'win' but not be able to keep the weight off.

Not sure I could say it any better.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Not sure I could say it any better.

Why thank you :blush: