Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) Career Change

Options
SteadyDoinIt281
SteadyDoinIt281 Posts: 24 Member
I feel like I'm coming to a crossroads in my professional life, and I'm looking for some words of advice/encouragement.

Almost 30 years old, background in business - focusing on finance/project controls, make an above average salary for somebody with my experience, but completely despise going to work. Short of just a couple of people that I work with, there is hardly anything that I can think of that excites/challenges me.

When I take a moment to reflect on what truly engages and incites passion in me, I always come back to health and wellness. I crave personal fulfillment and optimization, am continually reading/listening to podcasts to learn more, and I don't know that the business world will ever blunt that craving. Additionally, I enjoy being around and helping people, and I like a work/life balance.

Please take a moment to lend thoughts on the change I'm considering - from project controls in the business world to going back to school to become a RDN. Advice could be from several points of view: schooling, interning, RDN career path/mobility, salary ranges, job satisfaction, etc.

I look forward to reading some responses!

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    this ain't even a question; it's a no-brainer. Do it.

you're young and know what interests you.... don't let this pass without acting upon it.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends who are RDNs and the pay is quite low. If you need to borrow a lot of money to get your degree, I'd consider other options and think about learning about nutrition on the side if you truly enjoy it. No matter how much you love a job, but you are struggling to make ends meet, it isn't worth it. That's just my two cents. Good luck. If you are miserable in your current job, perhaps there is another avenue or other companies you could pursue. You never know what other doors may open for you.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Let me research this and get back to you.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Never to late for a career change. Can you afford it?

1) Is there an accredited college in your area?
    2) Crossed check courses needed to take? Perhaps $$ to go back to school?
    3) Looked at the examination process and continuing education requirements?
    4) Will you pursue work where you currently reside?
    5) Researched for career opportunities in the specialty you would like to do?

My daughter is a RD. She makes decent money, but she moved to another state. She was offered and took a job at the place where she interned. She had one eye on her work there and another one looking for something else.
    She now works for a Hospital Facility in Pediatrics and works a part time job in this field at another facility..

Set out and achieve all that you want! Good luck!
  • MeginBliss
    MeginBliss Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I dropped out of nursing school to study dietetics because I realized I wanted to work in disease prevention instead of disease maintenance and there are sooo many scholarship opportunities for it. I'm going to be graduating completely debt free. Where I live there are really low paying jobs for RD but you can also make good money...I say if you want to do it then go for it!
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,818 Member
    Options
    This was me a few years ago. I'm in education and desperately wanted a change to a career field that was of current interest to me. Unfortunately I pursue it, I just switched up education positions. If you have the time, energy and money I encourage you to do it. I honestly regret not following through, but at that time I just couldn't do it. Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • SteadyDoinIt281
    Options

Thanks for the insight. Sometimes it's nice to have a little anecdotal evidence to supplement my opinion and my research.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options

Thanks for the insight. Sometimes it's nice to have a little anecdotal evidence to supplement my opinion and my research.

Do what makes you happy
    Money is a renewable resource, time is not.
  • SteadyDoinIt281
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

My daughter is a RD. She makes decent money, but she moved to another state. She was offered and took a job at the place where she interned. She had one eye on her work there and another one looking for something else.
    She now works for a Hospital Facility in Pediatrics and works a part time job in this field at another facility..

Thank you for the probing questions!

1/2) There is an accredited school in my area. I've looked at their degree plan, and it appears that I'll need roughly 70 hours if I choose to take this road. I haven't looked into pricing at the moment, but it seems like MeginBliss has had success with scholarships/grants in this field.
    3) I've found an insightful blogger who is a wealth of information and knowledge, and using her posts as well as information online, I have begun looking into the examination and continuing education requirements. I would likely get more information on that when I speak with the local university's program director.
    4/5) I live in Houston which has a wonderful medical center and is known as a leading innovator in cancer research. As much as my wife and I would like to get out of this city for a bit, it may make the most sense to stay put.

May I ask how your daughter likes her experience in a hospital setting? Also, what influences her to work part time in addition to her full time role? Does she have satisfaction in her career?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Thank you for the probing questions!

1/2) There is an accredited school in my area. I've looked at their degree plan, and it appears that I'll need roughly 70 hours if I choose to take this road. I haven't looked into pricing at the moment, but it seems like MeginBliss has had success with scholarships/grants in this field.
    3) I've found an insightful blogger who is a wealth of information and knowledge, and using her posts as well as information online, I have begun looking into the examination and continuing education requirements. I would likely get more information on that when I speak with the local university's program director.
    4/5) I live in Houston which has a wonderful medical center and is known as a leading innovator in cancer research. As much as my wife and I would like to get out of this city for a bit, it may make the most sense to stay put.

May I ask how your daughter likes her experience in a hospital setting? Also, what influences her to work part time in addition to her full time role? Does she have satisfaction in her career?

She loves working in a hospital setting. She dropped nursing school to become an RD. She did not excel in nursing school and changed her degree.

The reason she works extra is because she is loving what she is doing and supplementing her income so that she buy a house, etc. I am currently paying her tuition but she wants to take this over as well. She is single and has mapped out where she wants to be in 5 years. She truly is an amazing young lady.

I do wish you lots of luck and much success.. it sounds like you have some great contacts and connections.