Beautiful Behaviors - April 2017

Options

Replies

• tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    +1 for online romance successes here. We met online through friends, did the long distance thing for a while, and then moved together to give it a shot about 3 years ago. There's pluses and minuses to meeting people that way, but it can work out alright. Good luck.
  • CT0526
    CT0526 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!
    I've got to admit it's been hard getting back to counting calories after my week long vacation. I've gone a little over goal the past two days but today it seems I may stay on track. Let's hope!

@ParanormaLauren I love, love, love your online dating success story! I really enjoy hearing how couples get together. I met my husband in high school when we were 14 and we became friends. We started dating after college and have been married for 23 years.

@jessiquoi I'm not on a low-carb diet but when I count calories, my carb count tends to stay lower. I think it's because I usually have a salad for either lunch or dinner and I don't snack on bread, chips, cookies, etc.

Hope everyone has a great night!
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    @ParanormaLauren what an awesome article. I can tell you are a writer. That is a great story!!

I did have one long term relationship about 5 years ago through a guy I met on match. During the relationship I got dx'd with MS. I thought this was going somewhere and then I realized that I was unhappy more than I was happy with this guy. Our parenting styles were so different and I cut it off for my own sanity. That was my last relationship. Now, I don't date much. There aren't many good guys out there. When I go online, it seems like I see the same guys over and over again. Men seem intimidated by a smart woman that doesn't need someone to take care of her.

@jessiquoi I am glad that you found someone online as well and I am glad that you might be finding a new way to eat to help your diabetes
    I don't have diabetes, but I hardly ever eat carbs without eating protein. When I eat dinner, I typically have a veggie and a lean protein and a fat. I only have fruit once a day with my smoothie (usually after swim practice) and I have peanut butter powder (protein) with it so I don't crash.
    Have you ever met with a dietitian? I have and it has really helped me. One of our grocery super stores (Hyvee) has a registered dietitian on staff and it is free to meet with her. I also met with one through my doctor's office.
    I would recommend always having some protein with your carbs.

Lauren - I am impressed with your writing skills. I am an Instructional Designer and eLearning Developer, but I don't write as well as you do. Nice job!
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Doesn't anyone meet their mate the old-fashioned way anymore like I did - in a bar??? lol
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    rdevol wrote: »
    Doesn't anyone meet their mate the old-fashioned way anymore like I did - in a bar??? lol

I met mine at my first job
  • fangcat623
    fangcat623 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I got back to Zumba last night after a short break. My body is reminding me that I took a short break. Tonight will be stretching and doing my knee exercises. Everyone here is motivating me to step up my exercise. Thanks!
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Awwwww. I loved your story @ParanormaLauren !
  • jessiquoi
    jessiquoi Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Beautiful salad, Lea!

Thank you, Nicki, for the suggestion about having protein with my carbs. I'm pretty good about doing that.

Good morning, everyone! Today I am attempting to start a low carb diet. I have to admit, I'm not looking forward to it. I love carbs and everything about them except what they do to my blood sugar. I've probably been avoiding doing this ever since my diagnosis about 30 years ago. And what do I hear when I get in the office? My director is having an ice cream sundae party at our meeting today! I will partake of a very small bowl with one little bit of topping. There's always going to be something happening, and I will try to learn to participate without depriving myself totally. This will be a big challenge for me, I'm a very black and white kind of person. All or nothing! Eat all the ice cream! Well, not today. Wish me luck!

later,
    jess
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    @jessiquoia - Good luck! You can do it!
  • AngelaiInSF
    AngelaiInSF Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! This group looks amazing! May I join?
    I had anorexia for many years, was hospitalized for it, and now I am slightly overweight (my doctors shared that I should lose a little bit of weight). I am determined to do this in a way that is loving and healthy, and would love to do it with you.
  • fitzmonkey13
    fitzmonkey13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    @purebredpolly @littlemeesy106 @Jackie_Paper @tabletop_joe @CT0526 @angelailnSF Welcome to the thread folks!!! Good to see you taking positive steps for yourself!

@ParanormaLauren I loved your article. It was very sweet and fun to read. You must work hard on your writing because you have great style.

@aleahurst Great selfie! So good to see you were able to get out and about! I've never heard of chickweed. Is it a bitter green like dandelion? Or more mild?

@jessiquoi Good luck with the ice cream meeting today. Keep reminding yourself why you are doing this for your health. And enjoy the serving you do take. Don't be afraid to lick the bowl when no one is looking!!!

I'm having my lunch out with a friend today. I already decided on what I'm going to have and will call it in before I go so I don't have to be tempted by the menu!

My old knee pain has flared up so I'm taking it easy on the walking for a couple of days and wearing my small brace. Planning to do some upper body strength training tonight just to do a little something, and then tomorrow I'm going to try a very gentle bike ride. Then swimming on the weekend. I'm afraid if I stop moving altogether I'll never start back up again. If the bracing and alternate strategies don't work I'll put the big brace back on and rest for a week. I've already seen physiotherapists and doctors and basically they all tell me to lose weight and get active (which is hard to do when your knee hurts!)
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    @littlemeesy106 - I've been back and forth with my weight, healthy eating and exercise but feel I have a better grasp on it the past couple of years. Glad you are on MFP trying and getting back into it.
    @purebredpolly - Hey there. Good for you, my therapist once told me that sometimes even family can be toxic. Foot massage?! -Yes, please. lol
    @jessiquoi - Even though low carb sucks, I will agree with you there (love carbs). I find it exciting when I add challenges or new programs for myself, it's kind of exciting to see what I can do. Although, I'm glad you are using 'moderation' with the ice cream (I love ice cream)
    @ParanormaLauren - You're so pretty :blush: Aw, I love love
    @alaskandelight - Sorry about your dad. How did your water consumption go? :wink: Way to burn those calories at the gym!!!
    @tabletop_joe - Hey, how you doing?!!! :smile:
    @CT0526 - Yes, tracking calories is hard, but glad you are still trying. Last night I was so tired and thought I just won't add in the rest of my day but I did and it actually didn't take too long. Keep it up
    @nickiphillips1 - I love that you are a confident woman! I agree, it's hard for a man to step into that spot. In my experience - it does seem that all the good men are already married. There are a few left lol I know you will find someone great because you seem like a wonderful "catch" (not sure if that's politically correct haha)
    @fangcat623 - Great work! I sometimes lack on my cardio and just lift for a week or so and when I get back into cardio, at first I'm out of breath and can't complete long sessions. Keep going
    @aleahurst - Nice Selfie!!! Picking actual ingredients from outside is inspiring. That salad looks fabtastic!

Update: The bf was able to go to the gym with me last night, love it! We completed 90 minutes of Chest and Treadmill Inclines. Tonight may be a rest day, only time will tell - because I'M TIRED! You know you've been working hard when all of your workout clothes are dirty (and I have a bazillion). I had to wear short little spandex shorts from last year and surprisingly I didn't feel too uncomfortable with the length. Oh well, Imma do laundry! lol

Thought for the day: Progress - You may not be where you want to be, but you're not where you used to be. ***Recognize the work you put into yourself. I have grown mentally and physically. I used to have depression and not be able to manage all my feelings and thoughts, it was awful. Now without medication, I am strong and know how to let go of feelings and move forward. Physically, I am more aware of muscles I am using and how beneficial different activities are for my body. Be your own cheerleader and learn positive self talk, also know when to give yourself a swift kick in the behind. Support is great and others will help us along, but the best supporter is You!
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Just swinging in to say hi to everyone! Hope this week has been a productive and healthy one. If not, then there is still time....
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    @jessiquoi - great attitude with the ice cream party - dairy does have protein - it also has a lot of sugar though - take it easy - find some protein you like: nuts, eggs, cheese, milk, beans, quinoa has carbs and protein, peanut butter powder in a smoothie
    @happysherri - you have those cute little skinny legs to wear those short shorts - I bet your boyfriend was happy
    @aleahurst - nice salad and selfie - very natural - good job - get those nuts in as well for protein - walnuts are one of the super foods

My swim practice was somewhat inspiring today. I slept an extra hour and went to late practice. I went second, then caught up to the lead guy and wasn't as slow as I have been. I may be starting to feel better. I may have a sinus infection. I am hoping the allergist can tell me today when I get my asthma checked.

Slow steps. Next week I want to swim one day at the other pool in the slower lane and do some Individual Medley and get some butterfly in. It will definitely help my distance free and make me faster. I have just been waiting to feel better. Also, I need more room (fewer swimmers). I will have to swim earlier.

It's almost Friday!

Hang in there and move your bodies!
  • alaskandelight
    alaskandelight Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Awe, you all are rockstars!

@happysherri I made my water limit with many, many trips to the bathroom. My dad is slowly waking up from the induced coma. Kinda a difficult processes since he's a bit confused, but we are hoping for the best! I love your thoughts of the day! I like playing a game of "what would the me of 10 years ago think of me know?" The answer is always..."She would be amazed and inspired." :-)

@aleahurst I didn't know you could make salad out of chick weed!! You kinda just changed my life. I have thrown away or burned sooooo much chickweed! I'm currently planning and getting ready to put my garden in within the next two weeks. The ground is juuuust starting to thaw up here. @sabinki I saw you gardening it up yesterday! Way to go!

@fitzmonkey13 way to go to make a action plan for your knee. I have some injuries that I have to be mindful of too. I really screwed up my ankle after not letting it recover or changing my workout routine. (Like you, I just didn't want to lose momentum.) I severely regret that and wish I listened to my body at that time.

Way to go on skipping ice creaming @jessiquoi and picking up steam in the pool @nickiphillips1.

I got a set of Core de Force in this morning and I'm a quarter of the way to my water goal! Today's beautiful behavior is to "power walk" my pup this afternoon and get my laundry under control. The dirty gym clothing struggle is real! Keep up the good fight everyone! You're totally worth it!
  • mbam89
    mbam89 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ahhh! You ladies are so awesome! I'm a little behind, but I love getting caught up with what's going on with everyone :smile:
    @nickiphillips1 I've tried online dating. It's mostly horrible, but I didn't meet my last boyfriend online. We dated for 3 and half years, before I broke it off about a month ago. Not sure if that counts as a successs story.... lol
    I think @ParanormaLauren's description is pretty spot-on for me.
    @happysherri Haha. I love leg day, too. I need to get back into it. I'm so into zumba, and I can barely walk, let alone dance after a good leg day!
    @alaskandelight Oooh! The stairclimber! You're a beast!
    @aleahurst Your salad looks incredible! I love your healthy selfie <3
    @AngelaiInSF Welcome! I joined recently, and it's an awesome group. Thanks for sharing a little bit about your story. I love your commitment to be healthy!

Happy Friday-eve, everyone! I got to go to (most) of a zumba class with my sister before work. It's my favorite cardio workout! I almost didn't go, but I couldn't bail on my sis :smile: Having someone to keep me accountable has been so helpful!