Any help is appreciated!

Options
I have recently started 'dieting' and I and working out at least 4-5 days per week. I know that it takes time, but I have had zero weight loss in about 3 months that I have started. I am looking to find out what and when I should be eating to cut weight? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything as long as you stay within your calorie limit. Although a "healthy" diet with mostly lean protein, healthy fats, fruits, veggies, whole grains, and a treat here and there, will be more nutritious than a diet of only cheeseburgers, pop tarts, and chocolate.

The best tool you can try is a food scale. They are relatively cheap, usually under $20, and will help insure you are actually eating the amount of calories you think you are.
  • MandySmith3
    MandySmith3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I actually just bought a scale last night. My other dilemma, do I go for the routine 1200 calorie diet or one that's 1800 because I'm supposed to eat every two hours to fuel my metabolism?
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Do you have a medical issue that makes you have to eat every two hours? I'm just wondering because until I found out that I really like one big meal of 1200 calories at night. Before when ate 3 meals I found it really hard to stick to a calorie deficit.
    Edit to say I second the food scale. Best thing I ever bought.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I actually just bought a scale last night. My other dilemma, do I go for the routine 1200 calorie diet or one that's 1800 because I'm supposed to eat every two hours to fuel my metabolism?

You can't affect your metabolism. That's a diet industry myth. Eat when you are hungry.

I don't know how tall you are, how much you weigh, or how active you are, so I can't comment much on your calorie goal...except that 1200 is usually reserved for sedentary, smaller females.

I am 5'9, 171 pounds, 42 yoa, and am losing on 2015 calories a day.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    ymi4ex790o5j.jpg
  • MandySmith3
    MandySmith3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" (I believe) I weigh 144lbs. I am 40 and I've had two children as well as a hysterectomy (which has completely changed my body). I do two hours of crossfit per week, 30 minutes of Tabata and about two hours of Bodypump. I know everyone is different, but it feels like nothing is happening at all!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" (I believe) I weigh 144lbs. I am 40 and I've had two children as well as a hysterectomy (which has completely changed my body). I do two hours of crossfit per week, 30 minutes of Tabata and about two hours of Bodypump. I know everyone is different, but it feels like nothing is happening at all!

MFP will give you a calorie goal based on NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis). That means your goal is (examples) 1200+exercise calories....or 1800+exercise calories. When you log workouts, you earn additional calories. These additional calories are guesstimates. It's best to start by eating back a % (say 50%) and tweak up or down based on actual results.

But if your exercise is consistent, google your TDEE - this is your maintenance estimate including exercise. This will average everything out. Then take a cut from there.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

You're already a healthy weight so losing 10lbs or so will be slow as it's vanity pounds.

Set your deficit to lose 0.5lbs per week, weigh and measure everything. You have to be accurate when you only have a small deficit to work with.
  • crowed1993
    crowed1993 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Add me!
  • GrayRider61
    GrayRider61 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Add me. I can make a few suggestions.