No loss this week :(

Options
I've managed to drop 20 lbs since March 24th and now it's halted? What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• MikilouB
    MikilouB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates due to many different variables. As long as you are continuing your program (weighing your food, keeping track of macros, etc) it will continue. Don't stress it. Also, you might do a check in again, as you lose weight, you need to adjust your calorie intake as you need fewer calories. I have lost 86 pounds over the past year and am working on my last few pounds and have had to readjust several times.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Agree with pp; that's pretty normal. Weight loss is not linear. If you're not already, it might help to use an app like Libra or Happy Scale to help you see the trend over time rather than getting thrown off by pauses and fluctuations.
  • MsWatchMeGo
    MsWatchMeGo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info!!! :)
  • georgiamaxine1
    georgiamaxine1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is going to be me on Sunday lol. Lost 29 lbs in a month and I feel like I've come to halt too xx
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You're being impatient, weight loss isn't linear
  • cmsalvato
    cmsalvato Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i hit about 18lb loss since march, and have stopped. but i notice my body changing... are you working out? if so, that may also be why. you might be gaining muscle. more muscle = more fat loss. scale isn't the only way to see progress. take measurements & check your body fat every week. take pictures and compare every few weeks. you will always lose a lot in the beginning but i wouldn't expect nearly as much in the following weeks. i fluctuate within 3-4 lb depending on sleep, sodium, water, hormones, etc.
  • cmsalvato
    cmsalvato Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    also, if you're not eating enough, your body starts to protect the fat cells thinking its starving. you have to not only eat a deficit, but re-feed after burning a larger number of calories at once.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cmsalvato wrote: »
    also, if you're not eating enough, your body starts to protect the fat cells thinking its starving. you have to not only eat a deficit, but re-feed after burning a larger number of calories at once.

If OP is in a deficit, she isn't going to be adding an appreciable amount of muscle weight. It doesn't work like that, especially for women (although it is possible for a new exercise routine to cause temporary water weight retention so muscles can repair).

Also, your body doesn't "protect fat cells" if you aren't eating enough. Although one can slow the metabolism with a prolonged deficit, OP has been doing this since March 24th. It just doesn't work that way.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've managed to drop 20 lbs since March 24th and now it's halted? What am I doing wrong?

What was your starting weight? I think you have done an awesome job. Do not feel discouraged.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is going to be me on Sunday lol. Lost 29 lbs in a month and I feel like I've come to halt too xx

What was your starting weight?
  • MsWatchMeGo
    MsWatchMeGo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started at 266. I haven't started an exercise program yet. I wanted to get used to eating healthy first. I felt I may be overwhelmed if I tried to do everything at once. I'd like to drop another 60. Goimg to physical therapy for some hip pain. I had a knee replacement a yr and a half ago. I'd like to work up to 5 miles @ 5 days a week.
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I gained 0.8 lbs this week but my weight loss has been up and down with a fairly predictable downward trend. I have a week where my weight seems to stall then the following week drop 3-5 lbs. I know on my calories that I'm not gaining fat and I know it's not likely that I drop 4 lbs overnight so as long as it averages out then I'm still on track. I weigh and log everything so I know exactly what's going in. I know the math is right so I don't stress too much about the scale fluctuations.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Like other posters have said, recalculate every 10 lbs (mine adjusted today for 10 calories less than it used to be), and use a trend app or trendweight.com (website that's mobile friendly) to see what your overall trend is. Mine went from 4 lbs a week to less than 2, and it has continued to slow down to closer to my set deficiet weight loss at 1.5 lbs a week. Even if you're at 2lbs a week, that 8 lbs every 4 weeks.