Equestrian

Options
I have been riding since i was 5 and had to give it up when i got my job because i dont have the time or help now im back in the saddle!!! I have always been in the best shape when i was riding. Does anyone count that as a work out???

Replies

• yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Uhhh, absolutely! I was in the best shape of my life when I was horseback riding. I rode years doing dressage. Unfortunately, I've been out of the saddle for about 6 years and can't see myself getting back into it because $$$.

538152_3999908598233_1225408378_n.jpg?oh=2f04af3e1cfc2afa80eafac3f4d4b2b1&oe=597C973D

Here's a picture of my boo. I don't own him anymore, but that was our first show back in 2006?
  • bunnyhugger2015
    bunnyhugger2015 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting back in the saddles, too! I think it depends on what kind of riding you're doing. I've definitely had my heart rate up there with sitting trot and jumping, but trail riding, not so much. Right now, my horse and I are just getting back to work and I'm trying to get control of my limbs so I don't count it. Cleaning stalls, on the other hand, IS my workout! (no, seriously!)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Agree with bunnyhugger
    Also, be careful when logging if you are doing a jumping lesson or something in a group. Consider the time you are actually riding, as depending on the situation you may spend a decent amount of time watching others and waiting your turn.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'd count it similar to weight lifting, which means I'd add a calorie or two per minute. It doesn't burn all that much.

When I was riding, the real calorie burns were in cleaning and tacking horses, walking horses cool (sometimes for hours in the Texas summer heat and humidity), exercising horses with long lines (meaning I was running behind them), and jogging next to students the few times I got to teach.
  • Imnotaconductor
    Imnotaconductor Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Uhhh, absolutely! I was in the best shape of my life when I was horseback riding. I rode years doing dressage. Unfortunately, I've been out of the saddle for about 6 years and can't see myself getting back into it because $$$.

538152_3999908598233_1225408378_n.jpg?oh=2f04af3e1cfc2afa80eafac3f4d4b2b1&oe=597C973D

Here's a picture of my boo. I don't own him anymore, but that was our first show back in 2006?

Stunning beautiful under English saddle with that long back he looks like my old show horse i did all around with. I wont show anymore for the same reason but still got light ranch work todo
  • Imnotaconductor
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I'd count it similar to weight lifting, which means I'd add a calorie or two per minute. It doesn't burn all that much.

When I was riding, the real calorie burns were in cleaning and tacking horses, walking horses cool (sometimes for hours in the Texas summer heat and humidity), exercising horses with long lines (meaning I was running behind them), and jogging next to students the few times I got to teach.

The joys of maintenance. Have 2 3 year old so lots of ground work and running around lol
  • Imnotaconductor
    Options
    Agree with bunnyhugger
    Also, be careful when logging if you are doing a jumping lesson or something in a group. Consider the time you are actually riding, as depending on the situation you may spend a decent amount of time watching others and waiting your turn.

Didnt think of that i coach my bf who just started riding and i have lots of " idle time" sitting in the saddle outside the pen yelling lol
  • purrsnnickers
    purrsnnickers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do eventing and it is excellent exercise. Doing the conditioning rides especially maintaining two point definitely gets the heart rate up and gives the core muscles an excellent workout. Dressage also a good workout especially 2nd level and above.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    m5kwdsiykdf4.jpg

I ride regularly. Anything that involved getting off the couch and doing something is exercise. Not sure why people think only things like crossfit count.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I ride but I don't log it as a workout. The only thing I log as actual exercise is my running, I don't log anything else, not even my kettlebell workouts. Purely because I know roughly how many calories I burn running, with anything else, no idea, so best not to log it.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't ride as much as I used to (re-prioritized my life a bit), but I was a professional in the horse industry for well over a decade. And, yes, I was very fit (not just from riding, but everything else that comes with running farms and teaching). I could eat like a total heathen (pretty much existed on coffee and cookies). I actually did try hard to do something above and beyond the riding at that time (usually cycling) because I needed to be as fit and strong as possible for my horses (I evented). Now I DO count my riding, though I don't rely on it alone. Since leaving the industry, I have struggled with my weight...it's hard to break bad eating habits and hard to find time for the same calorie burn in a day around work and life when it used to BE work that was the calorie burn!

Here's a pic of me in my hey day-dt1mxp5wv9hc.jpg
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't ride as much as I used to (re-prioritized my life a bit), but I was a professional in the horse industry for well over a decade. And, yes, I was very fit (not just from riding, but everything else that comes with running farms and teaching). I could eat like a total heathen (pretty much existed on coffee and cookies). I actually did try hard to do something above and beyond the riding at that time (usually cycling) because I needed to be as fit and strong as possible for my horses (I evented). Now I DO count my riding, though I don't rely on it alone. Since leaving the industry, I have struggled with my weight...it's hard to break bad eating habits and hard to find time for the same calorie burn in a day around work and life when it used to BE work that was the calorie burn!

Here's a pic of me in my hey day-dt1mxp5wv9hc.jpg

That horse is GORGEOUS! Never got into Eventing, but certainly wished I had.

I was very fit when I rode. 7 or so years every week consistently. A LOT of barn work. I couldnt eat enough to gain weight back then. Low level dressage, jumping, etc. But unfortunately the farm owner where I rode decided that I was much better at training her horses for her and I never got to advance into what I wanted to do. Instead I paid a god awful amount of money to ride there, meanwhile training horses for her to turn around and sell and pocket 100% of the cash.

I keep saying that one of these days I will get back into it. But it is very disheartening to go from training a wild mustang from Arizona, along with many other horses, to MANY years later (with atleast a 3 yr riding hiatus in between) and being thrown off a 13.1 pony with a bad attitude 3 times mid show.. I definitely feel like I have lost my groove.
  • InCHarmsWay
    InCHarmsWay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I play polo, and I definitely count it as a workout! I'm breathing hard and sweating, just like I would with other exercise. I just have to remember to take off my FitBit beforehand, otherwise I get a lot of extra steps that really are my horse's and not mine!
  • soosmag
    soosmag Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone saying it seems like it SHOULD "count" as exercise but as far as MFP logging goes, when I was logging riding and using it in part to stay below my calorie goal, I wasn't losing weight. At least for me, whatever MFP calorie estimates are is way off, so I stopped. I just log hiking and running now.