protein shakes.

Options
I'm new at trying them out. I went to the sunflower market and bought raspberry and chocolate. Pretty good but it all didn't get mixed when I shook it. Kinda sucked getting powder in my mouth. Does anyone have suggestions on good brands, flavors or how I can mix it all up? Lol I want something that's low in fat, calories and sugar.

Replies

• _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I like the chocolate optimum nutrition the best. I have tried LOTS of different kinds and these are the best. You can mix it with water or milk... I use milk. Also if you are a coffee drinker, you can mix 6 oz of milk, one scoop of chocprotien powder, one table spoon of instant coffee and 1/2 cup of ice in the blender and you have a delish coffee iced late!! YUMO!
  • mssweetjay
    mssweetjay Posts: 142
    Options
    I use the Amplify Protein from GNC. I actually use a blender
  • rolyatnai
    rolyatnai Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I use, like most people I know, a poprietry brand of protein shake (SIS Rego), to mix them we all seem to use the shaker beakers, they have a grid you place in the top that allows you to blend the shake better, but it is a fiddle you need to turn the beaker upside down to release the bit at the bottom - but it works well, 10 seconds and ready to drink - with no lumps!

Ian
  • MommAof03
    MommAof03 Posts: 1
    Options
    I buy my protein powder from BodyBuilding.com. I can not have any milk products so I buy the 100% soy in Dutch Chocolate. I have a protein smoothie almost every single morning. This is what I put in it: 1 cup of almond milk, 4 ice cubes, 1/2 banana, 3 strawberries or a handful of raspberries, almost one scoop of protein powder, and one tbs. of all natural peanut butter. I mix it in my blender :)
  • Gsc122
    Gsc122 Posts: 36
    Options
    I like the gnc banana flavored protein shakes.the little lumps are like small bits of candy lol.
  • TiffyCooper
    Options
    I like the chocolate optimum nutrition the best. I have tried LOTS of different kinds and these are the best. You can mix it with water or milk... I use milk. Also if you are a coffee drinker, you can mix 6 oz of milk, one scoop of chocprotien powder, one table spoon of instant coffee and 1/2 cup of ice in the blender and you have a delish coffee iced late!! YUMO!

I'll have to try that! Sounds amazing!!!!
  • werks
    werks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree ON (optimum nutrition) has very good prices and lots of variety. If you order from bodybuilding.com you can pick up a shaker at the same time. Or if you want one local I know places like GNC have a product called Blender Bottle (a shaker with a strainer ball). Traditional blenders work great but if you are like me and have 1-2 protein shakes a day, cleaning it gets old real fast. But they are perfect if you want to mix things like ice, fruit, etc.

Just FYI there are many kinds of protein, egg, whey, soy, casein, etc., There are also qualities in grades, isolates, blends, concentrates etc. so depending on what your price range is and goals are you may want to do some research ;)

Bottom line is pick up a whey protein of your favorite flavor (chocolates tend to have the most predictable tastes) from bodybuilding.com with a shaker and you'll be set. I suggest the 2 lb. jugs if you are unsure on a flavor. Dymatize Nutrition is also a quality brand/value.

Remember protein shakes are supplemental to your diet. Do not use them as a primary source of protein or calories.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I don't have much money so I don't wanna spend a tonnof money. I'll look around and SSS what flavors there are. I turned vegetarian so this is one way I can get protein. How many should I drink a day?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    In college I'd go to GNC and buy varous brands and then I stumbled across Biotest and have been using them for the last 13 years, can't think of anything better.

http://www.t-nation.com/store/supplements/metabolic-drive-low-carb.jsp

They have more than low-carb shakes too if you're interested, just click on their store link at the top.
  • bik2101
    bik2101 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i give another vote for optimum nutrition chocolate. its pretty great. mixes well, low calories, no sugar. pretty much just protein - which is exactly what i'm looking for in a protein powder.
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    I drink Vi-Shape Nutritional shake sweet cream flavor. I put it in a blender with milk and ice, sometimes peanut butter and cocoa powder!