Raising HDL

Options
What's the best natural way to raise HDL? I already eat somewhat healthy and exercise 4 days a week. Unfortunately due to a bad iodine allergy(anaphylaxis) I avoid all seafood. What else can I do? What can I eat to raise it? Help please :)

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    @sandeegriffin
    My personal experience is that raising HDL metrics is a long term project. You are supposed to change your lifestyle.
    All the actions you are taking will help: Managing your body weight, being physically active.
    It will not happen overnight or in days
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    At my last blood work this past October I noticed a change in my cholesterol numbers (higher HDL/lower overall cholesterol), which is around the time I started eating oats regularly (4-5 times a week and two servings per time). Since my last reading I've cut back on it (just got bored with eating them so frequently), so I'm curious to see what my new cholesterol numbers will be at my next blood work panel in June.

You might want to add oats on a regular basis and see if that helps :)
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Since you don't eat seafood other options for Omega 3 in your diet would be nuts, olive oil, and avocado; all sources of "good" fat. Also an increase in cardio exercise can help.
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Fish oil - 2 or 3 capsules a day.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Diet-wise, fish and avocado.

Exercise-wise, 30 minutes of light-moderate cardio every day (brisk walk).

Supplement-wise, fish oil, ashwaghanda and pantethine.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Oh, I didn't process the "no seafood" thing. Ignore the first then :pensive:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Exercise B)
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Low amounts of alcohol intake can help raise HDL. 1-2 beers or glasses of a wine a day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    If you want a DHA supplement that isn't fish oil, there are algae-based ones available. I know those are OK for some people with fish allergies, but if course I can't speak to your specific sensitivities.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal with walnuts, other meals avocado, almonds and cook with olive oil
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    One thing: peanut butter!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    pantethine and red yeast rice
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    My HDL was 83 last time I had it tested. I hate fish, but I do eat salmon once a week. I eat avocados, almonds, and pistachios everyday (high in mufas). These things can't hurt.
  • sandeegriffin
    sandeegriffin Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Exercise B)

I do exercise 4-5 times per week
  • RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    At my last blood work this past October I noticed a change in my cholesterol numbers (higher HDL/lower overall cholesterol), which is around the time I started eating oats regularly (4-5 times a week and two servings per time). Since my last reading I've cut back on it (just got bored with eating them so frequently), so I'm curious to see what my new cholesterol numbers will be at my next blood work panel in June.

You might want to add oats on a regular basis and see if that helps :)

This. My doctor said that in addition to losing weight and exercising more, adding soluble fiber generally and rolled oats specifically is a proven way to raise hdl.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I second the oats or oat bran.

Try to find a brand that states the amount of beta glucan.