Can someone help

TheKeyz
TheKeyz Posts: 39 Member
edited April 2017 in Getting Started
Stupid question don't judge me lol but I'm a little confused about this whole eat less calories than you burn thing. So my question is say I go to the gym and burn 500 calories in the morning and I log it on mfp does that mean I have to eat under 500 calories for the rest of the day or do I just have to make sure I have 500 calories remaining in the green before completing diary?
Thanks in advance for everyone's help

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I posted in your other thread. Copy/pasting the answer here for others who might be wondering the same thing: Every time your heart pumps or your lungs breath, you burn calories. Every movement in your day, sitting, standing, sleeping burns calories. If you used MFP to setup your calorie goal for weight loss, the deficit is already built in. You can eat up to the goal given.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    edited April 2017
    MFP already sets your calorie goals for the day with a defecit. So if you log your gym regimen, it should give you back your 500 calories for the day (you can eat that additional)......oh and there are no such things as stupid questions:) Happy healthy journey!
  • TheKeyz
    @Sabresgal63 and that's where I get confused because you say it gives the calories back and I can eat this but then I hear people say what's the point in exercise if you just put what you burned back into your body
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    TheKeyz wrote: »
    @Sabresgal63 and that's where I get confused because you say it gives the calories back and I can eat this but then I hear people say what's the point in exercise if you just put what you burned back into your body

The point is to support that exercise and fuel it properly and reduce the risk that you'll trash the muscles you have. Your body will only burn so much from fat each day. The rest has to come from somewhere. That being said, if you are using the MFP generated calorie burns for exercise, start with only eating about 75%, until you see how that effects your weight loss (about 4 weeks of data), then adjust up or down as appropriate.
  • TheKeyz
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    TheKeyz wrote: »

The point is to support that exercise and fuel it properly and reduce the risk that you'll trash the muscles you have. Your body will only burn so much from fat each day. The rest has to come from somewhere. That being said, if you are using the MFP generated calorie burns for exercise, start with only eating about 75%, until you see how that effects your weight loss (about 4 weeks of data), then adjust up or down as appropriate.

Yea I think I'll try that ! Thank you