Question for vegans

Options
I don't want anyone to be defensive or offensive, I'm genuinely curious and I'm hoping for a genuine answer.

Excluding soy products and protein powders, what do you eat or drink to increase the protein in your diet? I'm eating at 20-25% protein macro, and it's predominantly animal products. I'd like to have some plant-based options, but I don't want soy or protein powders; soy is bad news for my enlarged thyroid and family history of thyroid goiters, and I think protein powders are revolting.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I do eat soy, but I also get protein from seitan, beans, grains, and vegetables. I'm usually around 20% protein. It's certainly possible to be a soy-free vegan, even without protein powders. I know several people who are successfully doing it long-term.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't have an issue with soy or protein powders personally but if I am looking for more of a protein punch that is neither of those things I will add lentils, black beans (all beans really), seitan to my meals. Super inexpensive too!

Lentils are yummy and versatile
    Amount Per 100 grams
    Calories 116
    Total Fat 0.4 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.2 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 2 mg 0%
    Potassium 369 mg 10%
    Total Carbohydrate 20 g 6%
    Dietary fiber 8 g 32%
    Sugar 1.8 g
    Protein 9 g

You can also try seitan (wheat gluten)
    Amount Per 100 grams Calories 370
    Total Fat 1.9 g 2%
    Saturated fat 0.3 g 1%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.8 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0.2 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 29 mg 1%
    Potassium 100 mg 2%
    Total Carbohydrate 14 g 4%
    Dietary fiber 0.6 g 2%
    Sugar 0 g
    Protein 75 g

Black beans are delicious
    Amount Per 100 grams
    Calories 339
    Total Fat 0.9 g 1%
    Saturated fat 0.2 g 1%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.4 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 9 mg 0%
    Potassium 1,500 mg 42%
    Total Carbohydrate 63 g 21%
    Dietary fiber 16 g 64%
    Sugar 2.1 g
    Protein 21 g

• MessyApron
    MessyApron Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks @janejellyroll and @HealthierRayne! Very informative and helpful!
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for a little over a year and never had trouble meeting my protein requirements (tracked them on a different MFP account like 5 years ago). What pop culture doesn't tell you is that it's actually pretty hard to get too little protein.

Here are some of the things that used to be staples for me:
    • beans
    • legumes in general (lentils are a personal fav)
    • chia seeds (I like to add them in water or make Chia Pudding)
    • Nuts (can even be used to crust an animal protein if you want to double up!)
    • Sunflower/ pumpkin seeds / seeds in general
    • Nutritional Yeast. Don't listen to anyone that says it tastes cheesy- it doesn't. It's still delicious on top of popcorn, though
    • Quinoa
    • Hemp Seed (good in smoothies)
  • MessyApron
    MessyApron Posts: 206 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    What pop culture doesn't tell you is that it's actually pretty hard to get too little protein.[/list]

I hear what you're saying, we need less protein to survive than we typically think we do, and protein is abundant in many healthy foods. My personal problem is that I am battling a bad binging habit that's been with me since I was 8 years old, typically involving highly processed foods that are very high in refined carbohydrates and dirty industrial fats with nary a gram of protein in sight.
    Consuming a higher amount of protein at regular intervals during the day is very very helpful to me to prevent that from happening regularly.

Thank you for your list of high-protein staples!

• yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    sgfwinters wrote: »
    What pop culture doesn't tell you is that it's actually pretty hard to get too little protein.[/list]

I hear what you're saying, we need less protein to survive than we typically think we do, and protein is abundant in many healthy foods. My personal problem is that I am battling a bad binging habit that's been with me since I was 8 years old, typically involving highly processed foods that are very high in refined carbohydrates and dirty industrial fats with nary a gram of protein in sight.
    Consuming a higher amount of protein at regular intervals during the day is very very helpful to me to prevent that from happening regularly.

I hear what you're saying, too! :) I totally understand, protein helps me feel satiated as well. I wasn't trying to be offensive, mostly just defensive after years of defending being vegan/vegetarian for years and having ignorant people hate on my diet by saying "But where do you get your protein???!???" when the question really should have been about iron and B12 haha.

Hope my list helped, have a good day!
  • caitlinj406
    caitlinj406 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do eat soy but quite a bit of my protein comes from legumes simply because I always have canned beans and lentils in my pantry. We also eat a fair amount of nuts and seeds and some seitan (mostly when field roast sausages are on sale).
  • TamaraWisniewskiKozak
    Options
    sgfwinters wrote: »

Thank you for your list of high-protein staples!
    I am struggling with the same issue. I'm glad you posted this, I got some ideas too.good luck!
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan but totally second hemp seeds and quinoa for yummy sources! And no, nutritional yeast does not taste cheesy at all (but is full of good stuff).
  • hutton820
    hutton820 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds, quinoa and veggie sausages (I know these are processed but I really like Linda McCartney sausages. And they have good protein and v little carb!).
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    good protein sources are:
    - nuts and seeds chia seeds, hemp seeds, almonds, cashews, etc.
    - broccoli and other vegetables
    - beans
    - legumes
    - oatmeal
    - peanut butter/almond butter
    - a lot of vegan frozen meals have tons of protein
    - cauliflower
    - grains
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I eat beans every day. And nuts and sometimes seeds. But I do eat soy some too.