When to weigh yourself? And how often until you see progress?

Options
I'm super OCD while losing weight constantly stepping on the scale to see if I've lost any weight. Been trying for 3.5 weeks now, and I've gained, then lost. How often should I weigh myself to see ACTUAL progress? Once and week? Once a month? I usually drop weight quick for about 3 months. (Longest I've ever dieted then gave up) I lost 27 pounds last year in just 3 months just by eating healthy, didn't even work out! And now it's like my body isnt capable of losing that fast or at all. I made a previous post about not being able to lose weight. Lots have given me advice about getting a scale, or waiting longer to see results since it's so early, or counting wrong. Does eating breakfast have a huge impact to build your metabolism to lose weight? Before when I lost weight I was making eggs and eating fruit every morning for breakfast. Now I don't have time and I just grab a protein shake and some kind of fruit to go with it. Doesn't seem to have the same effect. Guess I'm just having lots of issues losing weight and really not being educated as I thought I was lol. So I need all the help I can get! Thoughts?

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Weighing is a personal choice. I prefer daily as it's easier to smooth out the fluctuations. Others find the daily weigh in a huge mental stress and prefer once a week, others once a month and some only go by what they see in the mirror. If you do weigh, get a free weightloss app that logs/graphs the amounts to help show what is fluctation and what is real.

Breakfast doesn't really matter for weightloss - the biggest issue with missing breakfast is if you get the 10am munchies where a packet of biscuits becomes breakfast. 9/10 times I skip breakfast as i'm just not hungry so i'll save those calories for dinner.

If you are missing breakfast you can make scrambled eggs in the microwave that are very tasty - scramble the eggs and microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring each time, until they are fluffy and cooked. Add whatever toppings you prefer. (of course calorie counting to make sure you are hitting targets)
  • desireeramirez1
    desireeramirez1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weight myself everyday during the morning and naked, and then I put that weight on an app called true weight thats gives you the average weight. This helps me smoth the fluctuations and dont freakout if one day i weight too much because i didnt pooped lol.

For me is harder to lose weight too since im already in the lower spectrum of body fat fro a woman(20%), so I am vERY clean with my diet and strick with calorie counting.

I dont workout either since i have no time AT ALL to do so, so it is possible to lose weight. for exampl in a month I only lost 3 pounds, but in my case that amazing since my goal is only to loose 8 to 10 pounds for july
  • JasmineDiver22
    JasmineDiver22 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    @KateTii okay, I figured eating breakfast daily on the same routine would cause my metabolism spike. I was eating about every 1-2 hours of small snack/low call to keep my metabolism burning. As for weighing myself, it's defintly a stresser. Thinking of doing a water detox to see if that helps clear out any bad stuff if possible. Probably try to add apple cider vinegar to my coffee every morning and see if that makes a difference on top of having lemon/lime/cucumber water. I usually have eggs for dinner now. I rarely eat actual meals. I always eat snack portions every 1-2 still.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have graphs of my losses here, if that helps. :)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I'm another who weighs daily and looks at the trend. That way I don't sweat the fluctuations. Some up and down is normal. Here's my chart for the past month: https://trendweight.com/u/c59173816e8241/
  • gabriellax92
    gabriellax92 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I made my fiance hide the scale on me and only brought it out on Sundays. I was obsessing too much. For about a good month my weight fluctuated and I didn't see any change. I almost have up so many times because of it. Now that it's starting to finally come off and I've learned to stop obsessing over the scale. Just keep yourself motivated and continue to make good choices. The weight will come off. Being impatient is something I'm guilty of, but you'll learn as you go it takes time, constant effort and motivation to achieve what you want.
  • Branawesomer
    Branawesomer Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Scale isn't the only indication. You'll be able to see it in your body and your clothing. Might not notice the changes but your clothes might feel different. Time of the month fluctuations will mess with that too. Many women gain weight during their cycle. Some don't. I weigh every few days when I think of it jsut to see how things are. I know that if I've lifted less, its gonna be a bigger change. Muscle growing and fat going away can almost even out but I'm still big enough the fat loss will be more. Gotta find what your body's fluctuations are like. Took me a couple years to be honest. Give it time, you'll get there :smile:
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    @KateTii okay, I figured eating breakfast daily on the same routine would cause my metabolism spike. I was eating about every 1-2 hours of small snack/low call to keep my metabolism burning. As for weighing myself, it's defintly a stresser. Thinking of doing a water detox to see if that helps clear out any bad stuff if possible. Probably try to add apple cider vinegar to my coffee every morning and see if that makes a difference on top of having lemon/lime/cucumber water. I usually have eggs for dinner now. I rarely eat actual meals. I always eat snack portions every 1-2 still.

When you eat or how often has no effect on your meabolism, so stop worrying about that. As to when you weigh, you should weigh naked, first thing in the morning after peeing. Every day is fine, as long as you don't lose your mind when you see an upward fluctuation. I have weighed every single morning for 12 years.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    How often you step on the scale has no effect on whether you lose weight. Unless you put the scales at top of a flight of stairs, and run up the stairs to weigh yourself hundreds of times a day. But you would still need to be sure you were eating below your TDEE.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I fluctuate up and down every day, sometimes I'll hover around the same weight for 3 weeks. I really only look at where I am today compared to where I was a month ago.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm super OCD while losing weight constantly stepping on the scale to see if I've lost any weight. Been trying for 3.5 weeks now, and I've gained, then lost. How often should I weigh myself to see ACTUAL progress? Once and week? Once a month? I usually drop weight quick for about 3 months. (Longest I've ever dieted then gave up) I lost 27 pounds last year in just 3 months just by eating healthy, didn't even work out! And now it's like my body isnt capable of losing that fast or at all. I made a previous post about not being able to lose weight. Lots have given me advice about getting a scale, or waiting longer to see results since it's so early, or counting wrong. Does eating breakfast have a huge impact to build your metabolism to lose weight? Before when I lost weight I was making eggs and eating fruit every morning for breakfast. Now I don't have time and I just grab a protein shake and some kind of fruit to go with it. Doesn't seem to have the same effect. Guess I'm just having lots of issues losing weight and really not being educated as I thought I was lol. So I need all the help I can get! Thoughts?

I never use a scale. I try on my fav dress and jeans and if they feel good; I'm good.
  • Lexational
    Lexational Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I rarely weigh myself, and when I do I'm aware that the scale just shows my weight, not fat loss or muscle gain.
    I use body scans before and after and found I lost 1.7kg fat and gained 700g of muscle ! So don't trust the scale guys !!
  • kelxx
    kelxx Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a day first thing in morning ,after bathroom and before any food or drink , and in the same clothes. This gives me a baseline , I log it in a note book.i compare my the weights I logged every Saturday over the months . Was surprised how much weight can fluctuate -can go up and down 3-4lbs, when u see the pattern as long as it doesn't throw you off track logging everyday can help. Logging daily also helps remind mind me of the journey I'm on and the goal I'm aiming for. Keep Going !! Weight loss is only part of what we want !health and strength very important too. Focusing on getting healthier and making ourselves stronger has the side effect of weight loss
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily in the morning before my shower. As to how often I see losses on the scale that has varied massively. In the beginning it was weekly or biweekly now with 1.7kg to goal it can take a full month before I see a loss and it is 0.5-1kg at the time in a bit of a whoosh. I am happy with that I'm in no rush.

It all depends on: how much of a deficit you have set, how diligent you are at logging, how much you have to lose,etc.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Naked, first thing in the morning after going to the toilet and before breakfast
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've found by weighing daily, it just becomes a data point because I know that I didn't exceed my calories enough in one day to cause an actual lb of weight gain and thus its likely water weight - and seeing how sleep, water, sodium etc all affect my weight/trend line is helpful
  • gramercygurl6
    gramercygurl6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh in on Mondays. Naked before getting in the shower. Now I weigh in on Fridays. And I see a better loss. I wanted to make sure that I can get my weight in before the weekend cocktails.
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself daily but am working on expanding it to once a week