Something aint right

Options
Hey guys my name is Naomi and im on a mission to gain weight and building my strength. I have managed to put on 20kg in 2 years. But now im stuck I have been hitting my calorie intake as indicated by my fitness pal and getting my protein goals and carbs but the scale isnt moving and ive been lifting heavy. Someone help please.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Make your food diary visible to public.
    We can't say anything useful until we can see what your food and exercise look like. Your net calories need to be accurately recorded and you need a long series of consecutive days of a calorie deficit to earn any weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Make your food diary visible to public.
    We can't say anything useful until we can see what your food and exercise look like. Your net calories need to be accurately recorded and you need a long series of consecutive days of a calorie deficit to earn any weight loss.

Op wants to gain, not lose.

OP you need to eat more calories try adding 100 a day
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eat more
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    naynay224 wrote: »
    Hey guys my name is Naomi and im on a mission to gain weight and building my strength. I have managed to put on 20kg in 2 years. But now im stuck I have been hitting my calorie intake as indicated by my fitness pal and getting my protein goals and carbs but the scale isnt moving and ive been lifting heavy. Someone help please.

How long have you been stuck for? If its over a month, add 100-250 calories to your total, give it a month and see if the weight increases. No increase after a month, rinse and repeat until the weight starts going up.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend sharing your diary publicly. We'll just pick on you.

I recall lifting and not gaining weight. With good diet it should be a slow process, I would guess less than a lb/week.

Patience, good diet (adequate protein, carbs, fat in some reasonable proportion), low booze, controlled salt, consistent workouts, you can't miss!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If your weight has not increased for more than a few weeks then you need to up your calories.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I don't recommend sharing your diary publicly. We'll just pick on you.

I recall lifting and not gaining weight. With good diet it should be a slow process, I would guess less than a lb/week.

Patience, good diet (adequate protein, carbs, fat in some reasonable proportion), low booze, controlled salt, consistent workouts, you can't miss!

The BOOZE was a big thing for me. Stagnant gains until I stopped drinking - I was borderline alcoholic and was pounding down a six pack of high % craft beer a night and not getting anywhere. Stopped drinking and the gains started flooding in. Not joking.

That's interesting because I always lose weight when I stop drinking!
  • paulwick1
    paulwick1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi

If your happy with your current diet, I would suggest weight gain supplementation.

There are a lot of rubbish brands selling powders full of packers/sugars etc, but try www.bulkpowders.com

They do some very good weight gain products, you can also buy ingredients separately and make your own custom blends ( powdered oats etc.)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    The calories burnt through lifting aren't high, but you may find it worth eating back all your exercise calorie burn.

If, as mentioned above, you have gained 20kg but haven't upped your calories by changing your stats in MFP you should probably do that.

Cheers, h.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    paulwick1 wrote: »
    Hi

If your happy with your current diet, I would suggest weight gain supplementation.

There are a lot of rubbish brands selling powders full of packers/sugars etc, but try www.bulkpowders.com

They do some very good weight gain products, you can also buy ingredients separately and make your own custom blends ( powdered oats etc.)

2 threads, 2 suggestions for weight gain supplements. Do you have a problem with real food?

2 threads, 2 supplement suggestions, 2 posts....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi

Considering almost every single weight gainer on www.labdoor.com is rated terrible, I'd stay away from crappy weight gainers and just make a high calorie shake with a proven quality protein powder.
  • paulwick1
    Options
    Hi

2 threads, 2 suggestions for weight gain supplements. Do you have a problem with real food?

What a strange post ! Weight gainers are used in conjunction with real food, where have I suggested not to eat real food, my post clearly states IF you are happy with your current diet.

• paulwick1
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Hi

Considering almost every single weight gainer on www.labdoor.com is rated terrible, I'd stay away from crappy weight gainers and just make a high calorie shake with a proven quality protein powder.

Agreed, but where have I suggested a crappy one?

Lean mass ingredients ( the one I use personally and find this Aids my weight gain)

Ultra Fine Scottish Oats (Gluten), Slow and Fast Release Protein Blend (Milk Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk, Soya), Egg White Powder), Glutamine Peptides, Cocoa Powder (Chocolate Flavours only), Natural Colour (Beetroot Red – Strawberry Flavour), Flavouring (Strawberry, Chocolate), Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum), Sweetener (Sucralose)

I thought the idea regarding the forums was to help people, which I'm doing with my own experiences, which in all fairness is a lot more constructive than the posts above that offer no help what so ever but just criticise those that do.

True keyboard warriors , every forum needs em lol
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Hi

Lean mass ingredients ( the one I use personally and find this Aids my weight gain)

Ultra Fine Scottish Oats (Gluten), Slow and Fast Release Protein Blend (Milk Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk, Soya), Egg White Powder), Glutamine Peptides, Cocoa Powder (Chocolate Flavours only), Natural Colour (Beetroot Red – Strawberry Flavour), Flavouring (Strawberry, Chocolate), Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum), Sweetener (Sucralose)

I thought the idea regarding the forums was to help people, which I'm doing with my own experiences, which in all fairness is a lot more constructive than the posts above that offer no help what so ever but just criticise those that do.

Thanks Paul.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Hi

I am far from a keyboard warrior. Maybe I'd take a step back, look at the forum and many of the stickies. Also, if you took a step back and looked at what I posted (with a little research), you would realize that blindly excepting what companies put on the back of a bottle doesn't always appear to be what is in the actual bottle. And yes, some are better than others, but I have yet to see a weight gainer go through independent testing and score high.

In all reality, you'd be better off going onto a site like www.theproteinchef.co or using Quest's nutrition site and making your own shake from ingredients.
  • paulwick1
    Options
    Hi

I am far from a keyboard warrior. Maybe I'd take a step back, look at the forum and many of the stickies. Also, if you took a step back and looked at what I posted (with a little research), you would realize that blindly excepting what companies put on the back of a bottle doesn't always appear to be what is in the actual bottle. And yes, some are better than others, but I have yet to see a weight gainer go through independent testing and score high.

In all reality, you'd be better off going onto a site like www.theproteinchef.co or using Quest's nutrition site and making your own shake from ingredients.

As a moderator you should be a bit ashamed of yourself for just throwing in criticism, it's your job to moderate, that means encouraging sound advice.
    You have no grounds to dismiss my post, the company I have suggested do exactly that, you can buy your own separate ingredients and custom build a weight gainer from good sources such as ground oats!

Take a step back yourself Mr Moderator and have a look for yourself before being so critical maybe.
  • psuLemon
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi

As a moderator you should be a bit ashamed of yourself for just throwing in criticism, it's your job to moderate, that means encouraging sound advice.
    You have no grounds to dismiss my post, the company I have suggested do exactly that, you can buy your own separate ingredients and custom build a weight gainer from good sources such as ground oats!

Take a step back yourself Mr Moderator and have a look for yourself before being so critical maybe.

Please don't tell me how to do my job, that I have been doing for 5 years. I can and do have the right to express my opinion on such as subject matter. I am not paid by MFP, so I do have free option to discuss and debate a topic without representing MFP's and UA's opinions. If you do not agree with that, you can feel free to reach out to any of the Admin staff and they can have a discuss with you.

If you want to buy weight gainers, by all means. But I'd never suggest someone investing in a weight gainer if they haven't already address other requirements; most importantly, it does NOT teach them how to eat in a manner where they can sustain their gains. In fact, if you actually spent time here, you'd see this on a fairly regular basis. They are much better off developing habits, figuring out which combinations of foods, and in the frequency required, to help sustain long term gains. The exception to that rule would be people who have a solid foundation of eating (such as competitors). But for the average person, who hasn't done it, supplements are rarely a good options, IMO. In fact, that is why I created the below discussion because I felt bad for the plethora of members struggling to gain weight and trying to rely on weight gainers to get them there, only to fail long term.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

The-Pyramid-Of-Nutritional-importance.png