How did you eat as a child?

Options
Just curious about what you were typically fed as a child and we're you over weight back then.

For me this was in the US in the 1960's, a family of four: stay at home mom, my dad worked days so was home in the evening and I had a younger sister.

Breakfast was cold cereal with banana and milk in the summer, or oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar and milk in the winter.

Lunch was either a peanut butter and jelly or a bologna sandwich with an apple. (In my Three Stooges lunchbox on school days.). Milk to drink. Always whole milk.

After school was a snack to tide us over until Daddy got home of one cookie and a little milk. Don't want to spoil you supper!

Supper would vary much more than the other meals, but typically included a meat, a cooked vegetable, potatoes or rice and a salad. Milk or water to drink. Not usually a dessert, but if we had one it was something like canned fruit and a cookie. My dad insisted that we clean our plates (never a problem for me but a constant battle for my sister who hated vegetables and still does to this day), but I learned that if I ate too quickly, he would pile more food on whether I wanted it or not and he would insist that I eat all of that as well.

Both my sister and I were skinny little kids, but as was typical in that era, we were sent outside to play after school and on weekend mornings and not allowed back in the house until we were called in for a meal or if there was bad weather.

I still have this way of eating in my head as the model for good health.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Cereal for breakfast. Sometimes cake. Lunch was balanced (either home or at school - protein, veggies, small dessert). Lots of junk for snacks after school (it was France. Bakeries everywhere), and 'balanced' dinner.

I was a fat kid. My mom's cooking wasn't the best at all. I only liked the high calorie stuff she made. And cheese and bread. I always had a high calorie snack when we went somewhere.
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    i wasn't overweight and i wasn't exactly healthy? i only gained a bit of weight in middle school and that's where i began making healthier choices.

my family stocked up on lots of processed snacks in bulk too. i overate sometimes on those snacks and sugary candy.
    my day typically looked like this:

breakfast: two slices of bread with eggs and bacon. the bacon was greasy and crispy. the eggs sometimes had sliced up ham in them.
    i started eating breakfast from stores in middle school, like high calorie egg sandwiches or cuban bread with butter, croquettes, etc.

lunch: a small pack of gummies, a bag of chips, and a typical sandwich (two slices of bread, cheese, ham/bologna, sometimes a type of spread). i'd often get another snack too like a roll up or something.

snacks: processed foods (chips, gummies, candy). my mom would often make a sandwich for me when i came back from school or bring me a fast food, to-go meal.
    other times, i'd fit guava, fruit, or watermelon juice in when we went to a nearby park.

dinner: typically whatever my mom makes but my parents would often buy take away or restaurant foods like lasagna, chinese, chicken and rice, etc.

if my mom made the dinner, it could be meatloaf with mashed potatoes and vegetables or creamy shrimp noodles.... it varies
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My mother was a nurse and she fed us fairly closely to the Canada Food Guide.

Cereal for breakfast
    Main meal at lunch - meat & veggies
    Small snack after school - one cookie and milk
    Light meal at 6 pm - sandwich or eggs on toast or something
    Small snack right before bed - fruit

Small but reasonable portions.

Desserts only on weekends, or if we did have a dessert after the evening meal, it would be a piece of fruit or something really small.

I was a very slender child and remained slender almost my entire life. I only gained weight in recent years, and only temporarily. :)
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I wasn't overweight until I hit puberty. More often than not, cereal during the week with banana or strawberries depending on the season, weekends were eggs. Lunch most often was school lunch, if I didn't like what they were serving than I would probably have a tuna sandwich and some carrots, or maybe bologna sandwich. Dinner was mostly chicken, fish and occasionally pork or beef with a side of salad (I didn't like cooked veggies) and a starch probably rice. We never had snacks in the house, no chips or cakes, or cookies. I'm not sure this was a good thing, as once I was able to have money and go to the store on my own I tended to buy all the things we didn't have at home, more often than not hostess stuff. Candy and cakey stuff. I would hide it in my drawer in my room. This carried into adult hood even when I was married, my ex and I would go to the movies and both get a box of candy, when I got home, I would hide mine in my dresser, my ex knew I had it, who was I hiding it from? Once we got divorced I had to physically force myself to bring any candy or things I deemed in my mind "bad" into the kitchen and out of the dresser drawers. Then I had to force myself to not hide them behind "healthier" things in the cupboard especially if someone was coming over and might see and then I got to the point where I could leave them out and didn't care if anyone saw. But that took a concerted effort on my part, it was so engrained since childhood.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I was never overweight as a kid, I was really active and ate overall healthy.

Breakfast- toast, eggs, bacon. Anything sweet would give me heck of a stomach so no pop tarts

Lunch- either bought at school (it was far less disgusting 10 years ago than it is today) or a sandwich, piece of fruit, crackers or chips, something sweet and water. In high school I packed my own lunch and instead of water took a soda pop.

Dinner- my dad cooked so it was meat, potatoes, beans or corn. EVERY NIGHT, until I got to high school and started doing some of the cooking. I made things like chicken stew, shredded pork, tacos, etc.
  • beamie2687
    beamie2687 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Oh man. So, spoiler alert - I was a latchkey kid. My parents both worked full time and my mom was also pursuing advanced degrees in the evening (literal hero, everyone). So from an early age I was responsible for my own meals and usually for dinner at least once a week when my dad had Lions Club meetings or another obligation after work.

Typical Breakfast: cereal or pop tarts (occasionally toaster streudel if we bought it that week) before the bus.

Typical lunch: My parents gave me $10 a week for allowance. I could use that to buy lunch every day if I needed to, or I could save it for the weekend and use it for movies or going out with my friends. If I bought lunch, it was usually nachos, or there was a little market of snacks and I would get cookies, chips, and a bagel. If I saved the money, I'd pack a sandwich (often bagel with pepperoni and cheddar cheese) and some chips, and maybe fruit if we had it.

After school: volleyball practice or play practice. Sometimes we'd grab Subway (the only restaurant within walking distance of school) before games. If I didn't have practice, I'd come home and SNACK. Chips and salsa, mostly.

Dinner: If my dad cooked, we'd have a pan-fried meat like pork chops, some type of potato, and either canned peas or canned green beans (both of which I can't stand anymore). Occasionally he'd make pancakes or hot dogs and macaroni and cheese. If I was responsible for dinner, we'd have hot dogs and mac and cheese, or sandwiches and chips, or tuna helper - things children can make.

I didn't really discover food until college, and now cooking is my favorite thing. I cook dinner almost every night, now. When I was studying for the bar exam, I moved back in with my parents and took over the cooking. When I moved out, my dad was so upset he couldn't have my food anymore! Now I make things like grilled chicken and panzanella salad with roasted asparagus or grilled steaks with salad and roasted Brussels sprouts (I made both of those meals this week!).

I think it should be pretty obvious from my diet that I was overweight as a child. I don't blame my parents for that - I think they honestly did the best they could to get me and my brother food, knowing they might not be home to cook for us. I'm still working on my weight loss journey but it's been a food love journey as well!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    my mom made us each two softboiled eggs and a piece of toast on weekdays. school lunch in elementary school was a balogna sandwich - 2 slices with mustard - and i can't remember what else, but we had to buy a school milk. dinner was things like pot roast or meatloaf with a canned vegetable (mushy spinach, green beans or zucchini), mashed potatoes or rice with little butter and no other flavorings or gravy. always with a glass of milk and a piece of bread with butter. sometimes she'd make pasta shells with a scratch sauce and hamburger meat or a hamburger, van de kamp's halibut filets or a burger. i disliked my mom's cooking and food choices till i was 13 and my dad got her an electric skillet that came with some tasty recipes.

my mom did make some really great holiday meals, though - her turkey was superb - and we had a few "special" entres we only had a couple times a year - leg of lamb, some tasty roast beef or rib roast. and once a month we'd either eat out, get pizza from pizza man or get fast food - my mom loved jack in the box, and i found it a step up.

sometimes on weekends we had cereal or my dad made french toast. and on sundays we'd go to my grandparents' - if we went earlier, my grandpa would get a spread, and i'd always have a bagel, lox and cream cheese. later would be hamburgers and fries from johnnie's or my grandma might cook.

when it came to snacks, we rarely ate things like potato chips, and a serving of cookies was always 2 cookies, which always - always - made me feel deprived. we often had graham crackers as a snack, which i always disliked. at some point, my mom bought ding dongs or cupcakes. we had one snack a day at around 4 pm.

i also wasn't overweight till i hit puberty, and didn't really hit weight issues till my mid-twenties. but my constant disappointment in most of our food through my childhood may well have played a part in my problems with eating now.
  • Miz_T
    Miz_T Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My grandfather had a garden so we ate a lot of fresh stuff. I was outside all the time except for saturday mornings and maybe an hour in the afternoons so I stayed pretty thin. Breakfast usually consisted of either cereal or grits, lunch was a sandwich and something else, dinner was always a meat and two vegetables. Sometimes it was a meat, a starch and a vegetable. Snacks were usually popcorn.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Farm kid born in 81.

Breakfast: whatever. Sugar cereal. Oatmeal. White bread with jam.
    Lunch: I honestly have no recollection of what I was sent to school with. I think typically a sandwich on Wonderbread and some kind of packaged snack. Maybe a banana.
    Dinner: Meat, potato, vegetable. Nearly without fail. Roast, boiled, boiled.
    Lots of home baking. No restrictions of any kind.

I was so skinny as a kid. I only gained weight as an adult as a result of having 2 kids (I could eat everything I wanted for 5 years or so, and I forgot to stop), decreasing activity when I moved from being a student into having a desk job, and developing a love of craft beer. I wasn't THAT active as a kid, either. More of a book reader. I just had a good relationship with my appetite.
  • Merlotmom16
    Merlotmom16 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was not a fat kid until the 5th grade. My Italian parents used food as positive reinforcement. If I got a good grade, I got a treat. If I had a bad day, I got a treat to make me feel better. We ate lots of carbs and sugar. Cereal for breakfast, peanut butter and jelly sandwich with chips for lunch and of course, pasta and bread always with dinner. My dad was allergic to fish so none of that and my mom was a great cook. I am one of 6 kids and all but one of my siblings have struggled with weight issues. I finally overcame the cycle of emotional eating and rewarding myself with food. Now the focus is on healthy eating and exercise. When I had my own children I watched to make sure I did not use food as a reward. Both my children are healthy eaters.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a European home so breakfast was usually an espresso with a lot of milk, sugar and animal cookies
    lunch was a salami sandwich and dinner was usually meat and pasta (we didn't eat too many vegetables lol)

It's amazing how I still grew with such little protein. GH is amazing lol
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I was overweight through childhood and reached obesity during high school. I did eat typical American breakfasts like cereal or eggs and bacon, but in my parents' culture, there are other types of food used for breakfast, so I'd also eat that. I ate whenever I wanted and whenever my mom cooked. I was always praised for never being picky about vegetables like many other children. Nearly every day that my dad would came home from work, he gave my siblings and I various treats to share. I always aimed to call dibs for the largest share possible. It's no wonder I was overweight. In high school, I became less active (I outgrew outdoor children's games) but did not change my eating habits which is in part why I became obese rather than just overweight.
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    I grew up in a European home so breakfast was usually an espresso with a lot of milk, sugar and animal cookies
    lunch was a salami sandwich and dinner was usually meat and pasta (we didn't eat too many vegetables lol)

It's amazing how I still grew with such little protein. GH is amazing lol

This has nothing to do with your post but OMG I want to snatch that burger out of your profile pic and stuff it down my gullet. lol

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Age 12 and under, USA 1974-1986, below average weight, sahm, working father, 2 older siblings-
    Breakfast was cereal most days. Sometimes oatmeal or malt-o-meal. On special occasions eggs, pancakes, French Toast.
    Lunch at home would have been a sandwich or can of soup. At school the food was stuff like pizza, mac and cheese, fruit and milk. There wasn't a kitchen at the first elementary school I went to. I brought lunch sometimes and it was a sandwich. On Sundays there might be roast beef and such for lunch when we went to my grandmother's home.
    Dinner was often meat, potatoes, canned vegetables.
    Snacks were dry cereal, fruit, popcorn, cheese usually.
    We had dessert on special occasions. We ate out mostly for birthdays or anniversaries.
    At home we drank water, tea, hot chocolate, milk. Not pop very often.
    No computer. No vcr. No cable tv. Not many video games. Walked to school and other places. We played outside a lot.

Age 13-18, USA 1987-1992, about 10 lbs under a healthy weight, working mother, working father, 2 older siblings (working or away at college)-
    Breakfast during the week I skipped or had a candy bar and juice box- parents not aware of this. On weekends it was leftovers or a can of soup often.
    Lunch during the week I usually skipped- parents not aware of this. No one at school noticed or cared that the quiet, skinny girl wasn't eating. On weekends lunch was a sandwich, fast food or frozen pizza, frozen dinners.
    Dinner- still meat and potatoes and canned vegetables. I was cooking for the family but made what my mom told me to make.
    Snacks- same stuff, more chips, crackers, some frozen foods or maybe canned soup... I made up for not eating during the day after school and on weekends I guess
    Drinks- same stuff, less milk
    More tv. No computer or video games. Walked less. Rode bus to school.
    Often cold, tired, hungry and sick.

I started eating more regularly again in college although still often skipped breakfast. I got to a normal weight during and right after college. I didn't become overweight until around 26 years old.

• StarvingDiva
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Age 12 and under, USA 1974-1986, below average weight, sahm, working father, 2 older siblings-
    Breakfast was cereal most days. Sometimes oatmeal or malt-o-meal. On special occasions eggs, pancakes, French Toast.
    Lunch at home would have been a sandwich or can of soup. At school the food was stuff like pizza, mac and cheese, fruit and milk. There wasn't a kitchen at the first elementary school I went to. I brought lunch sometimes and it was a sandwich. On Sundays there might be roast beef and such for lunch when we went to my grandmother's home.
    We had dessert on special occasions. We ate out mostly for birthdays or anniversaries.
    No computer. No vcr. No cable tv. Not many video games. Walked to school and other places. We played outside a lot.

Age 13-18, USA 1987-1992, under a healthy weight, working mother, working father, 2 older siblings (working or away at college)-
    Breakfast during the week I skipped or had a candy bar and juice box- parents not aware of this. On weekends it was leftovers or a can of soup often.
    Lunch during the week I usually skipped- parents not aware of this. No one at school noticed or cared that the quiet, skinny girl wasn't eating. On weekends lunch was a sandwich, fast food or frozen pizza, frozen dinners.
    Dinner- still meat and potatoes and canned vegetables. I was cooking for the family but made what my mom told me to make.
    Snacks- same stuff, more chips, crackers, some frozen foods or maybe canned soup... I made up for not eating during the day after school and on weekends I guess

I started eating more regularly again in college although still often skipped breakfast. I got to a normal weight during and right after college. I didn't become overweight until around 26 years old.

Pretty much my childhood in a nutshell.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I grew up in Norway in the 70's and 80's, and I was skinny as a small child, plump as I entered puberty. Stay at home mom, stay away dad, lol.

Breakfast and lunch was sandwiches with cheese or meat (spread) or bologna/salami. I was afraid of butter and I hated milk so I think I had juice. Fruit flavored yogurt at school sometimes, when functioning cafeteria.

After school similar to breakfast/lunch, but more liberal choices of addons (jam, pb, nutella equivalent), or crackers, and squash or chocolate milk. Or pot noodles or cereal or cup'a'soup. Often tea w/sugar.

Dinner was almost always made from scratch - meat/fish, potatoes/rice/pasta, veg/salad, and some kind of sauce. Sometimes soup or casserole or pancakes.

If I was hungry at night, I'd have a rerun of the after school meal.

Weekends were often eggs and bacon or cereal for breakfast, and a more expensive dinner and dessert on Sunday.

I rarely ate fruit, almost only in the summer when I could pick my own, and at Christmas - and vegetables just for dinner.

Eating out was for birthdays or when accidentally unable to get home to cook and eat.

I would be pressured to eat a lot at meals. I would also sneak candy and snacks and ice cream, anything sugary.

As a young (and not so young) adult, I have had trouble adjusting. I struggled for years with balancing taste and nutrition, freedom and responsibility. I ended up slightly obese, but I'm normal weight now, and I believe I have found a good middle ground, taking the best from my childhood and reshaping it to fit my current situation.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I grew up in late 80's/90's. My mom was a stay at home mom and cooked every night. Every night we had "family dinner" at the table at almost exactly 5:58 PM (when dad walked in the door from work).

Breakfast - Usually instant oatmeal, cereal, pop tarts or something quick. In high school, sometimes nothing (by my choice).
    Lunch - lunch meat sandwich, chips and grapes or school lunch.
    Dinner - Generally meat, starch (potatoes/rice) and vegetable; or some kind of casserole; or pasta with salad. Always drank milk with dinner (it was a rule in my house).

We didn't really do dessert nightly. But, my mom made cookies about every 10 days or so and we always had ice cream in the freezer. So, we would maybe have that in the evenings, but not necessarily daily.

I was not overweight as a kid, no one in my family really was. My dad had a physical job and my siblings and I were involved in all kinds of activities/sports. We also had a pool in the yard that we used all the time in the summer.

My weight came in my late teens/adulthood when I started "fending for myself" food wise. In college I had too much booze, Chipotle and Ben & Jerry's. Bad habits formed and continued. Now I am working on changing those habits.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

Age 13-18, USA 1987-1992, about 10 lbs under a healthy weight, working mother, working father, 2 older siblings (working or away at college)-
    Often cold, tired, hungry and sick.

I was my skinniest in college because of what we now euphemistically call "food insecurity." I was branded by the highschool guidance counselor as not destined for college because of my family's low income. I was going to show her and go anyway on my own dime. Probably not doable at all today, but I worked my way through college, a semi starving, semi homeless couch surfer.

When I graduated and went to work full time in accounting, much of my sudden "riches" we're spent on food...Lots of food. That's where my tendency toward sweet binges and my gradual weight gain over these decades got started.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Was raised mostly by my grandparents until my early teens. Mediterranean diet (we live in the Mediterranean) and very traditional (since my grandparents were cooking). Usually just plain milk for breakfast (I hated breakfast, no one could force me to actually eat anything solid), sandwich as a mid-morning snack (always the same, basically bread, ham or chicken and cucumber), biggest meal of the day was lunch and most of the days it was vegetable-based with meat 2-3 times per week, afternoon snack was fruit and/or yoghurt, dinner was as a rule lunvh leftovers, or something really simple like pasta with tomato sauce or scrambled eggs or rice pudding, if no leftovers were available.
  • Shammyface
    Shammyface Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm barely not a kid so this is through the 2000's growing up in the UK.
    Breakfast was cereal with milk on days it wasn't skipped. The only day any cooking is done in the morning is shrove tuesday/pancake day.
    10:50 break at school was a packet of crisps, or an orange, which I'd leave in my bag.
    My packed lunch for school was two plain ham/cheese sandwiches, or three sausage rolls, a packet of crisps and a carton of juice.
    On the way home, I'd buy myself a few pence worth of sweets, or a chocolate bar.
    At home there would usually be some form of chocolate as a snack.
    Dinner was a large plate of a pasta dish, or a generous helping of frozen oven foods (sausages, fish fingers, chicken dippers, potato waffles) or some roast meat with potatoes and a veg that I wouldn't be expected to eat much of. Finishing your plate was not enforced but encouraged.
    There was always a large desert as a reward for dinner, usually some kind of cake, sometimes with custard or ice cream.
    During the evening, we often ate extra crisps or chocolate while watching TV (or in my case, playing on the laptop). There was a wicked comfort food habit going on!
    I didn't have any friends at school, so I had no reason to leave the house - I spent my time reading/playing games/playing with my brother.

I started being ashamed of my weight around the age of 7 (I couldn't catch up to anyone in tag), started hating my body at 11 (look how huge my legs are compared to all the other girls' in school and ju jitsu class) and my obesity was a driving factor towards wanting to leave the house to go to university (I wanted to diet without criticism/influence of junk food in the house.) Unfortunately it turned out I was just as capable of feeding myself junk - just more expensive junk!