Truth about "zero calorie soda's"?

Options

Replies

• MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Pretty sure the zero in Coke Zero is zero sugar and not zero calories. I have never been under the illusion that diet soft drink has zero calories and I have never seen or heard it advertised as such..

The can actually says on it zero calories per can. That being said.. even if it has 5 or so.. its not like its going to derail anyone.
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    cozytimes wrote: »
    it's legally allowed to display as <5 calories

That is the case in America.

Not in all countries.

Op is not in America.

In Australia, for example, Pepsi Max gives its calorie amount, like all products, per 100 ml or per 100g.
    So the can tells me it is 1.6 kilojoules/100 mls which is about 1/2 calorie or about 2 calories per can.

I do not bother logging it.

ah, that's interesting! thanks for clearing me up.
  • nickhinds88
    nickhinds88 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The minimal calories won't hurt your diet but the phosphoric acid may cause teeth sensitivity. And slight erosion.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »
    Does really the coca cola zero or any zero labeled soda's is a zero calorie beverage? Seriously like a water or tea?! It's still have a bit of taste like a sugar how does it became zero calories? I love consuming that beverage occassional in parties or other occassions and im worried overthinking everytime i drink it up if it is actually containing zero calorie that won't hurt my calorie budget up in a day. Also my father is a diabetic person who's also consuming that drink occassionaly when going outside for a lunch it doesn't hurt his daily blood sugar regulation so is it possible that it is a zero calorie beverage? Or im the one overthinking it because of my obsessions on calories. Feel free to have a comment, advices and opinions below :) thanks

Yes. You're over thinking.

Not only does Coke Zero and the other Zero sodas contain a calorie or two, so does the tea - usually around 2 cals per 8 fl. oz. But it doesn't matter unless you're drinking a ridiculous amount.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Seriously, unless you're chugging whole 2 liter bottles in one go, it's a non-issue.

even if you are, it's a non-issue
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Pretty sure the zero in Coke Zero is zero sugar and not zero calories. I have never been under the illusion that diet soft drink has zero calories and I have never seen or heard it advertised as such..

The can actually says on it zero calories per can. That being said.. even if it has 5 or so.. its not like its going to derail anyone.

Actually in Australia Coke Zero says Real Taste Zero Sugar and Pepsi Max says Maximum Taste Zero Sugar. Nothing about calories anywhere. Things could be different in the US but I doubt it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Things are different in the US - as has been pointed out already.

In US items less than 5 calories can be labelled as zero calories.

That is not the case in Australia where all items must be labelled per 100g or 100 ml. Hence, as I said, my can of pepsimax shows it is 1.6 kilojoules per 100 ml.

Can also won't say zero calories because it isnt but can say zero sugar, because it is.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Close enough to zero calories.

Coke zero:

311k71dvl9bb.jpg

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    They aren't lying, that's how American labelling laws work.

250 mL diet coke is 1 calorie. 0.1 g protein, 0.3 g carbs.
    They lie here in my country im from Philippines, Coca Cola Zero. 0g carbs, 0g protein, and a bit of sodium. And i think they try to fool people here because calorie counting is not that popular here not like any other countries. People here rely at scientific diet and any fads lol, and they doesn't believe that losing weight is just a single equation eat less or at deficit move more if necessarily. :smiley:
    Maybe i should just log it up 250ml 1 cal even the label saying it is zero without any worries btw thanks
    The fat Filipinos in the Philippines have money. They can afford to buy more food than they need to. As for diet soda, don't trip. I've been drinking it for over 25+ years and it saves me a ton of calories. And yes I'm Filipino.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • paperpudding
    Options

Maybe i should just log it up 250ml 1 cal even the label saying it is zero without any worries btw thanks

Yes, if you want to, you could do that.

Personally I wouldnt bother logging it at all - as 1 calorie here or there is irelevant.
    I have no illusions that my logging is accurate to the last calorie anyway.

But if you prefer logging absolutely everything, then, sure, you could.
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i just count it as <5 calories but usually can't finish any sodas since they're too fizzy or strong
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

They lie here in my country im from Philippines, Coca Cola Zero. 0g carbs, 0g protein, and a bit of sodium. And i think they try to fool people here because calorie counting is not that popular here not like any other countries. People here rely at scientific diet and any fads lol, and they doesn't believe that losing weight is just a single equation eat less or at deficit move more if necessarily. :smiley:
    The fat Filipinos in the Philippines have money. They can afford to buy more food than they need to. As for diet soda, don't trip. I've been drinking it for over 25+ years and it saves me a ton of calories. And yes I'm Filipino.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Oh really? I never thought there was some Filipinos also here :smiley:

• ja20102004
    ja20102004 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I cut out pop. I drink only water. Sometimes milk and juice.
  • paperpudding
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

ninerbuff can correct me if this is wrong - but I don't think he is in the Phillipines like you.

I think he is in America ( of Philippino descent)

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had no idea there were fat Filipinos.

There is a great diaspora if Filipinos around the world, including Canada.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    ja20102004 wrote: »
    I cut out pop. I drink only water. Sometimes milk and juice.

Why?
  • ferd_ttp5
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

ninerbuff can correct me if this is wrong - but I don't think he is in the Phillipines like you.

I think he is in America ( of Philippino descent)

Yes, I think too at first

• ferd_ttp5
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I had no idea there were fat Filipinos.

There is a great diaspora if Filipinos around the world, including Canada.

Many people lives here love to drink soda especially those teenagers here. I don't know why too because they can't live the party without drinking a regular soda including me lol I can't say no to those friend offerings.
  • ferd_ttp5
    Options
    i just count it as <5 calories but usually can't finish any sodas since they're too fizzy or strong

Yeah lol I would love to have some nice Light Bear instead of a cup of Regular Soda they where more calorific than Lights beers