I didn't expect this problem with my face

Options
About a week and a half ago I gave up soda, sugar, and red meat. (Also no wheat, but that was a year ago so I don't think it is related to this). 3 days ago I woke up to a most epic break out on my face. We are talking the kind of break out that you see on teenagers... Teenagers in a Proactive commercial. My mother has a theory that sice I am basically detoxing from all the junk I cut out of my diet that my face broke out because of everything leaving my system. If this is the case then someone else must have had this too. I curious if anyone can relate

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have had this happen when switching my eating. By switching eating I mean drastically reducing or cutting things out. Lots of water and a few days of patience in the only advice I can offer.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The skin can do that when the food intake goes through a drastic change.
    The skin will probably clear up in a few weeks. Be patient.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How could not eating these things make a person's skin worse? I'm struggling to see a link here.
  • FitJulian
    FitJulian Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    changing foods may affect the proportions of "stuff" being processed by the body - changes to the biochemistry of the body can have "interesting" effects - Think about what a powerful curry can do to your GI tract if you have not eaten one for a while !! >:)
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    May I suggest cleansing your face with Witch Hazel? Get kind that has no alcohol in it. It's very soothing and cleansing and is an astringent which helps get rid of much of the oils that can clog pores but is also moisturizing (or at least doesn't dry out the skin). This was one of my grandmother's Life Pro Tips.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Me too!
  • bluebell88xx
    bluebell88xx Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Same!!!! I've had the MOST horrific breakout of my life since I started losing weight and cut out the junk. I found an extensive exfoliate, cleanse and toner routine has finally got me spot free however this has been over the course of 6 weeks. I don't know what the hell it was but it was a million times worse than any spots I've ever had, at one point I counted 15 on my chin it was AWFUL and I'm talking cystic painful spots here. My confidence hit rock bottom and even though I had lost weight I felt awful because my face was such a mess. Glad to say its on the mend now!
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have experienced similar.

Lots of water, gentle face cleansing routine (try something like the Liz Earle hot cloth cleanse and polish, and a gentle toner), and patience. It will clear.

Obviously no picking!! If you really must squeeze a spot, cover your fingertips in toilet tissue first and wash wash wash your hands!
  • mlbehnken
    mlbehnken Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's the way your body responds to getting rid of the toxins inside your body. It's going to show up on your skin. Drinking water will help flush the toxins as well as a good probiotic.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    mlbehnken wrote: »
    It's the way your body responds to getting rid of the toxins inside your body. It's going to show up on your skin. Drinking water will help flush the toxins as well as a good probiotic.

No, sigh.....
  • Kelimek
    Kelimek Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think most toxins are stored in fat and since you reduced your carb and fat intake you actually started to loose your bodyfat which had stored those toxins. Drinking lot of water and cleaning your face with non-alcohol based products should improve it. Just don't overdo it, you don't wanna end up with dry skin.
  • Leverfam
    Leverfam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Me too and I am in my 50's!! I thought it was because I had added more non-fat dairy to my diet - never thought about released toxins I will continue to plod along and give it a week or two. Helpful post ... thanks!
  • GirlPanda03
    GirlPanda03 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It could well be your body trying to detox everything. It's not the same but I did a course in hair and make up years ago, and part of it was a theory class in skin care. We learned that using things like deep-cleansing face packs can cause major break-outs, which people were assuming was a bad thing - but in fact it was bringing all the impurities to the surface. It could be the same here - all the bad stuff literally coming to the surface to try to get out. If that's the case, continuing healthy eating and drinking lots of water should help clear it up within a few weeks.

Some people take courses of mild antibiotics for bouts of adult acne, such as Lymecycline, although to avoid any negative side effects it might be good to also take probiotics (at a different time of day) while on the antibiotics. Your doctor would be able to prescribe these.

Other than that, I find an invigorating facial scrub helpful for clearing the pores and minimizing any problems. I use St Ives Invigorating Apricot Facial Scrub.
  • GirlPanda03
    GirlPanda03 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I didn't realise we were only allowed to have one opinion about everything.....

Having looked it up online, a lot of people get skin break-outs during initial stages of detoxing.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Have you started exercising recently as well? If so, are you removing all your makeup before you work out? If not it can sink in to your pores as they open up when you start sweating and things can get a bit gross.