I ate 4 pieces of pizza and my MIL doesn't get it!

Options
I used to be the type that thought losing weight meant hours in the gym and NO pizza, cake, or anything else with flavor!

Well, since joining here, I've realized how wrong I was. I tried to talk to my MIL about it. (I think she even sign-up here at one point) but she still doesn't "get it." Today she called me about another fad diet (you eat next to nothing for 4 days then eat whatever you want the other 3 :noway: ) I told her how it was bad and why (it was about 700 calories on the "diet" days!)

Then she asked what I ate! I laughed and told her 4 pieces of pizza for lunch. She started going off on how bad pizza is...then I broke down the calories and the fact that I did spend some time in the gym and burned 400 extra calories and even with breakfast, the pizza, a snack, and dinner I was still within my limit!

I have tried to explain that this isn't a diet!!! I HATE diets! Diets don't work! For me, it's a lifestyle change and Lord knows I'm not going to live without pizza when I'm skinny so why live without it now!

REMEMBER: Moderation!!!!

Replies

• Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I used to be the type that thought losing weight meant hours in the gym and NO pizza, cake, or anything else with flavor!

Well, since joining here, I've realized how wrong I was. I tried to talk to my MIL about it. (I think she even sign-up here at one point) but she still doesn't "get it." Today she called me about another fad diet (you eat next to nothing for 4 days then eat whatever you want the other 3 :noway: ) I told her how it was bad and why (it was about 700 calories on the "diet" days!)

Then she asked what I ate! I laughed and told her 4 pieces of pizza for lunch. She started going off on how bad pizza is...then I broke down the calories and the fact that I did spend some time in the gym and burned 400 extra calories and even with breakfast, the pizza, a snack, and dinner I was still within my limit!

I have tried to explain that this isn't a diet!!! I HATE diets! Diets don't work! For me, it's a lifestyle change and Lord knows I'm not going to live without pizza when I'm skinny so why live without it now!

REMEMBER: Moderation!!!!
  • sugarpie
    Options
    ok,I need to know what kind of pizza are you eating? I had one piece last week and it was about 400 calories! I just about went hungry after eating that. Now I am afraid of pizza,which is my fav!:tongue:
    124532.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Well it's been working for me so far so if you want to show her my post of how much I've lost from the end of December, it's 14 pounds, not bad I'd say, but what she'd say, I don't know???
  • tdelotelle
    tdelotelle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try Papa Murphy's DeLite Pizzas - I like Hawaiian. Cut into 10 slices, each slice is 140 calories. It's super thin crust. There pizzas are in the food database here.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Dominoes medium hand-toss cheese!!!! It's not bad for pizza calorie wise!
  • beagle595
    beagle595 Posts: 226
    Options
    You are absolutely right! Life Style Change not dieting. Dieting is too negative of a word... Everything in moderation. 3 weeks ago I had Lou Malnati's pizza (Chicago!). Thin Crust with low-fat mozzarella cheese & ordered special only 1/2 of the mozzarella they normally put on the pizza. I ate my own salad with low-cal dressing on the side. I counted everything into my calories and workout... and I didn't show a gain & 2 days later dropped 2 lbs. So the "no loss" the next day was probably from the salt.
  • RKA625
    RKA625 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My friend was telling me about that diet today. Not for me! I ate So much today thanks to exercising, I'm overly full and under my calories still. (going to remedy that with a low fat ice cream shake)
  • sugarpie
    Options
    Is Papa Murphy's in the market? Freezer section? I never heard of that one. I will be on the look out for it. In fact tonight is pizza night. I will make my own out of Pillsbury pizza dough:tongue: . Not as good as take out but it's pizza.:tongue: It is some times hard to figure out all of the toppings and sauce and put it all into calories. I'm just glad to have some place to write it all down. If I had to do this on paper,I wouldn't.:devil:
    124532.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • sugarpie
    Options
    PS-just went to food data base and puched in pizza,WOW . I am kind of new here and never thought of doing that before. Thanks for the tip. I can now enjoy pizza and not just one slice.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Your thread reminded me of what a hard time I had convincing my best friend to join MFP! She just kept trying other things, until FINALLY, one day she decided to give MFP a try. And ever since, she's been kicking herself for not starting sooner! She's lost 33 pounds so far!
    I can't say enough good about this site and all its wonderfully supportive members! :smile:
    MFP REALLY, REALLY works! :love:
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    PS-just went to food data base and puched in pizza,WOW . I am kind of new here and never thought of doing that before. Thanks for the tip. I can now enjoy pizza and not just one slice.

Be careful of the kinds that are loaded up on meat and the ones with the super-thick crusts (pan -type). Those'll get you. But there are lots of plain cheese and thin crusts that are lower in calories so you can enjoy a few slices (not a few PIZZAS, just a few SLICES :laugh: ) and be ok.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I ask for light cheese, add veggies and always ask for hand tossed (other types can use oil in the bottom of the pan)

I have pizza every 2 weeks or so.

I also make my own! Yummo!
  • chelseachick
    Options
    I have a bread machine and make the dough in it - its super easy - and the dough is ready in 1.5 hrs ( you can set the timer and have it ready for when you get home from work.) i use smoked chicken as a topping, tons of grilled or uncooked veggies, lots of garlic and a modest amount of cheese - its delicious. You can make small pizza by cutting of a small amount of dough before rolling it out so everyone can have what they like and you don't have to blow your diet. My 11 year old daughter has decided she prefers "my pizza"!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    My BF works at an Italian restaurant, so I know exactly what goes into our pizzas! When I have had a long run or no time to eat, he'll make me a little personal pizza. 5 oz dough, 2 oz mozzarella, 1 oz marinara, and sometimes 10 pepperoni or sometimes just veggies. It's a nice treat to have every week or two. :smile: