In dire need of scale help!

Options
j99li
j99li Posts: 421 Member
So, I bought a new digital scale last night after being fed up with the oddness of my old scale (non-digital). There is a discrepancy between the scales! On the non-digital one. I weigh 209 and I've apparently weighed 209 for a long time now haha. However, sometimes the needle doesnt go back to the 0 point so I have to keep adjusting it. When I do put it back to 0, it says i weigh 215. I know I dont look like I weigh 215 though :S.

Last Thurs, I went for my annual and my doc's scale says I weigh 206. Last night when I tried the scale, it says I weigh 206.6. Does this mean I should follow my new digital scale and update my numbers and MFP?

And, last night, I had a large meal at a sushi restaurant with my bf, however, this morning when I woke up, apparently I weigh 205.8. What's going on?

Replies

• Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Scales don't always "agree" with each other. Pick one that you are going to take as your scale, and use only that one. Disregard all others. I'd stick to the new scale--that's why you bought it, right?
  • lauram1153
    lauram1153 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i'd stick with the new digital ones especially if they are similar to your docs x
  • catfreak147
    Options
    You need to stick to one set of scales. The GP one is probable the best. Otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy. The most accurate scales tend to be the medical ones. Very few domestic scales are calibrated to that degree of accuracy. It does take time to burn the food you take in, so try to stick to once a week weigh in.. The best way to see if you are losing weight is to use the fit of your clothes. Good luck!! X:smile:
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Scales are different. Weight fluctuates. Stick to one and don't worry about the rest.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    use the same scale every time. (so if you get a digital one.. only use that one)
    weigh yourself at the same time every single time you weigh in... because your weight can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs throughout the day or sometimes more. best time is in the AM after going to the restroom with no clothes.. that is closest to your 'true weight'

or forget the scale (what i am trying to do!) and get a 50 cent tape measure!!! :) to do measurements! (i do both!)

good luck to ya !!! :)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Analog scales are tough. I had a sticky one, too. Had to throw it out due to frustration. Now I just weigh on my mom's digital. XD
  • Julezebub
    Julezebub Posts: 106
    Options
    Digital scales can be a bit changeable so here's what I do every time to avoid dissapointment!:

I have an extremely accurate kitchen scales with a maximum weight of 5,000g so I have a household item (in my case a saxaphone case!) which I know weighs 4899g. Every morning I put that on my scales and it reads 4.9kg so I know its working before I weigh myself. The occasional time I've put it on it'll read 4.4kg or 4.8 or whatever and I just restart it and try again or put it on a different surface until it reads 4.9kg. If you have a set of dumbbells you could try this, basically anything with a known weight. There's nothing worse than being told you weigh one thing then realising there's a descrepency no matter how small. In your case at least it could mean you weigh less than you thought not the other way around!
  • j99li
    j99li Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    so should I stick to the new scale and update my numbers then?

I got my bf and my dad to try out the 2 scales and they all have a weight difference! my dad differs by 4lbs (similar to me) but my bf differs by like 10lbs!! now to get my mom to try it haha
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    scales definitely disagree all of the time, but if you are planning on using your new digital one, i would use that weight. Also doctor scales are more accurate than most so I would definitely take that weight over your old one... and it just sounds like you lost some weight...
    Besides, if you weighed yourself last night on your new scale, you were probably heavier due to water weight and undigested food. the 205 was probably correct...
    Congratulations, you are lighter than you thought :-)