Having Trouble Meeting my Protein Goal?

Options
I've always been bad at eating meats and anything else high in protein, but I've been trying recently since I've been trying to lose weight. I'm just wondering what foods are the best for protein? Ones that are maybe low calories and have low fat.

Replies

• bob_mck
    bob_mck Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Chicken, Turkey, Beef all lean of course are full of protein. Have a couple of protein shakes a day and that can add 20-40g of protein in to your diet daily. whats your protein target?.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    bob_mck wrote: »
    Chicken, Turkey, Beef all lean of course are full of protein. Have a couple of protein shakes a day and that can add 20-40g of protein in to your diet daily. whats your protein target?.

Plus egg whites, low fat dairy, seafood
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    - greek yogurt
    - boiled eggs
    - cheese and cheese sticks
    - protein shakes/powders
    - turkey slices
  • bob_mck
    bob_mck Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    how did i forget egg whites! lol.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Lean meats and egg whites are at the top of the list, of course protein powders.

Greek yogurt and low fat cottage cheese are high in protein and PB2 isn't too far behind.

Other sources will be lower but cheeses and some vegetables like cauliflower have decent amounts of protein.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what is your daily goal?

for me, my go-to's - chicken, turkey, pork tenderloin, shimp, egg whites
    for carbs/protein - greek yogurt
  • unicornumame
    unicornumame Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had a really hard time meeting my protein goal too until recently. The only meat I really eat is fish and eggs. Right now I can hit it if I eat eggs in the am (two regular, two whites only), fish for either lunch or dinner and then I have a shake with almond milk and protein powder. That usually gets it where it needs to be.

• Mia4839
    Mia4839 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    These are great suggestions.

I just started, again, with the Fitness Pal app and recall having trouble meeting my protein goal without exceeding my sugar, fat and sodium goals. Today, I already ate two Halo Tangerines, 1/4 cup of cashews and dried pineapples, mini babyel original cheese, a peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and four glasses of water. I have have a -12 of sugar and 2 grams of fat remaining before I exceed that goal.

All this said, do I need to eat more protein veggies and remove the sandwich? If so, will the veggies and fruits sustain me with energy?

Thank you in advance for your feedback :smiley:
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Mia4839 wrote: »

I just started, again, with the Fitness Pal app and recall having trouble meeting my protein goal without exceeding my sugar, fat and sodium goals. Today, I already ate two Halo Tangerines, 1/4 cup of cashews and dried pineapples, mini babyel original cheese, a peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and four glasses of water. I have have a -12 of sugar and 2 grams of fat remaining before I exceed that goal.

All this said, do I need to eat more protein veggies and remove the sandwich? If so, will the veggies and fruits sustain me with energy?

If you swap the PB&J sandwich for a sandwich with lunch meats, some veggies, and cheese - you may find it more satiating than just plain PB&J and it may help you hit your protein goal.

If you exceed one macro target and stay under calories, you'll be fine. You would still lose weight.

You've consumed very little protein. Protein helps retain muscle while losing weight and helps with satiety.
  • INeustaedter
    INeustaedter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try to cut back on the sugar so eat less fruit. Any dried fruit is loaded with sugar so you'll just get hungry really quickly. No real nutritional value there. Have berries mixed with zero fat Greek yogurt, eggs are great, chicken or turkey with sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, no bread or go gluten free, fish or poultry for dinner with broccoli, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, zucchini, cauliflower, chick peas, lentils, basmati rice, spaghetti squash,..you get the idea. No starch - bread, pasta, rice (except basmati), corn, green peas. You will lean out without losing muscle. Protein keeps you full longer and balances your blood sugar.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I keep a tub of protein powder handy when I'm not going to hit my macro goal. Only ~100 kcals/scoop and quick and easy.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason you can't have sugar, don't sweat that. It's a carb, and you're already tracking carbs. I switched my sugar tracker out and track fiber instead.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Try to cut back on the sugar so eat less fruit. Any dried fruit is loaded with sugar so you'll just get hungry really quickly. No real nutritional value there. Have berries mixed with zero fat Greek yogurt, eggs are great, chicken or turkey with sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, no bread or go gluten free, fish or poultry for dinner with broccoli, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, zucchini, cauliflower, chick peas, lentils, basmati rice, spaghetti squash,..you get the idea. No starch - bread, pasta, rice (except basmati), corn, green peas. You will lean out without losing muscle. Protein keeps you full longer and balances your blood sugar.

not necessarily - if I eat a meal that is heavy on protein and light on carbs I don't stay satiated as long as if I do one that is higher in carbs - you need to figure out what works for your body
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Mia4839 wrote: »

If you still want the PB&J make it PB&J toast and only use 1 piece of bread. Add a side of 2 oz of deli meat (such as chicken or turkey) instead of that second piece of bread for an extra protein boost that comes in around 50-60 cals