Thoughts on standing desks...

Options
I have the opportunity to have a standing desk at work. I think I could handle standing about 1/2 my 8 hour work day. What kind of overall difference will this make from an activity level? I've always calculated myself as sedentary, so don't know how much this might change that. It won't affect my calorie goal, but curious on thoughts on the actual benefits of standing vs sitting.

Replies

• nicholerohrer
    nicholerohrer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have one at work. I stand for 10-20 minutes at a time 2-3 times a day on good days. It helps my posture, my back pain, and I do fidget more when I stand so I guess that adds to activity level but nothing significant. I love it though. Highly recommend if you have the opportunity!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Two people on my team just ordered this. It's a change and didn't go over well the first day, but I see them using this more this week - about 50% of the time.

I don't know how much this helps, but a big proponent of the every little bit helps philosophy. It's a small movement in the right direction.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I love when I work somewhere with one. I tend to move around a lot though, so I am not just standing. Im shuffling around, 2 stepping, squating, lunging, dancing, balancing on one leg... 8 hours of that apparently adds a few calories to my day according to my fitbit.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've never used one but here are my thoughts: You won't see a significant increase in calorie burn because you will still be mostly stationary. However, it will help your back a lot because you're not sitting all day. You'll probably be shifting weight from leg to leg/moving a bit so you won't get as stiff throughout the day. I'd say go for it. I would love to have one if I get the chance.
  • suzreen
    suzreen Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend getting one that you can move up and down, so you can sit and stand. I don't think it burns many calories, but for me, my body hurts less if I don't sit all day. It's really helpful to be able to do both.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and invested in a standing desk a few years ago. It took me some time but after about a month i worked up to be able to stand for the majority of the day. Make sure you invest in an anti-fatigue mat to stand on and wear flat, comfortable, shoes!
    This has been a great investment. I no longer have as much back pain and it actually does make me feel more productive as it does give you more energy to be standing and moving more than sitting on your butt all day.
  • musclesandmusic866
    musclesandmusic866 Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I have a Veridesk...it's awesome!!
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    From my own perspective, I am resistant but I was able to choose my own chair with tons of back support and also I wear impractical shoes that would make standing not very fun.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    From my own perspective, I am resistant but I was able to choose my own chair with tons of back support and also I wear impractical shoes that would make standing not very fun.

There's nothing wrong with impractical shoes!
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have a standing desk and like that the default height is geared for standing work. I have always preferred to stand up even when I had a traditional desk. At times though, I enjoy taking a load off. I opted to get a tall stool, so if I want to sit, I can.

If you're thinking of going with the standing desk, an adjustable drafting chair or a fixed-height bar stool would be enough to ensure that you have the best of both worlds.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    If you can - you might want to look into a treadmill desk (http://www.workwhilewalking.com/treadmill-desk-workstation-reviews)

The idea here is that you keep a treadmill going at a slow pace (usually less than 2 mph), which removes a lot of the pain associated with standing for long periods of time, and increases the caloric burn a little.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    my co-worker has one and he really likes it. Says it's easier on him and makes me wish I had one
  • fit_finesse92
    fit_finesse92 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I don't have the option for a standing desk, I wish I did. But I got an under the desk cycle and I love it. I just cycle all day at a steady pace and I am a fidgeter so it actually helps me focus.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I have a series of cardboard boxes I prop up every day so I can stand. I stand 2-3 hours a day, all at once because it takes a few minutes to get everything set up. I'd love a standing desk, but we have a weird culture at my work that discourages anyone getting an accommodation because "then everyone will want one" and the folks involved make a stink about the hassle. I haven't thought about activity level, but standing really helps me focus and concentrate when I have long stretches of mundane work to get done.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Having had access to one for a good year or so now...love it. Don't expect or use it because of extra calorie burns...that's not likely to significantly increase. Use it for the postural benefits. Changing positions and just not sitting is so beneficial.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Had an adjustable desk at work the last 3 years at work, just bought one for at home

Don't give a rat's *kitten* about calorie burn from standing. The reduction in back pain makes me so much more active away from the desk.

Imo get one yesterday.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I work from home most days and have my computer on a counter-height table. I stand the entire time I am working. Love it.
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i've been standing for over a year now. i will never go back to sitting. mine doesnt adjust and i purposely bought legs that lift everything up so i dont have a choice but stand 9 hours 7 days a week. huge improvement in shoulder pain. i never need a sweater, i'm warmer standing. i dont think it's a significant calorie burner but my back definitely feels better.
  • NancyCaz61
    NancyCaz61 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I recently got a Varidesk and while there are some days it's not conducive to the work I do, I can say I probably stand for just under half my day on average. I wasn't looking for any type of calorie deficit I wanted it for the benefit of not sitting all day. I love it! If I really put my mind to it I could stand more (...getting up off my chair now...Lol)
  • NancyCaz61
    NancyCaz61 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have a standing desk and like that the default height is geared for standing work. I have always preferred to stand up even when I had a traditional desk. At times though, I enjoy taking a load off. I opted to get a tall stool, so if I want to sit, I can.

LOVE the option of a tall stool!!