I didn't expect this problem with my face

Options
2»

Replies

• nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    There are peer-reviewed scientific articles in medical journals saying that the chemical analysis of human fat cells show that some environmental pollutants end up stored inside. Incidentally, I previously did a lot of research to see if my father's exposure to agent orange could have anything to do with the many illnesses and heart issues I had as a child. I never found an answer about my own health, but studies confirmed he likely STILL has the chemicals from agent orange exposure in his fat cells.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm not clear on how not eating something would make you breakout.

There can be a couple things going on. Primarily, when one starts eating healthier and exercising more, the body gets back to a faster/healthier cell regeneration rate. This includes skin cells. Unfortunately, that speed up can uncover blemishes that haven't surfaced yet. It's the same process that happens when one starts a retinol regiment for acne issues. It's very common for the first 3-4 weeks of a retinol regiments to make things worse before they get better.

Also, diet changes can cause hormonal fluctuations. The more severe the changes are (good or bad), the greater chance the hormonal shifts can happen. For many, those shifts can cause a temporary breakout until the body adjusts to the hormonal changes (Think PMS related breakouts).

Last, but more rare... increased physical activity. Some people with sensitive skin can see an increase in acne due to sweat clogging the pores. This is easily remedied by cleaning the skin as soon as the workouts done.

But it's most definitely NOT due to detoxifying

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It isn't from toxins oozing from your pores.

As previously mentioned, if you also started exercising, you may need to remove all makeup before exercise and definitely you should be careful to wash your face immediately after to remove sweat.

If your breakout is related to the diet change, it's most likely because what you eat can affect the ratio of oils and how much oil you produce through your skin. Changes usually aren't really noticeable to us unless they're significant - like the total diet overhaul you describe.

Much less likely is that your weight loss (if any - you don't mention) affected your hormones, but I doubt you'd have lost enough weight fast enough this early in your new diet.
  • EmPersson
    EmPersson Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone else has said. You can help the process by holding your head over steam for periods of time (I'd probably just google best practices for steam cleansing your face) - it brings the blemishes out to the surface all at once, but after you get through that part, (as long as you keep on going with your new routines) your skin should clear up and stay more clear than it was before because it's cleaned itself out. :-)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP are you constipated or not going everyday?
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Giving up soda, sugar and red meat is unlikely to make you break out, IMO. Giving up leafy greens or healthy fats might affect your skin.

Was there something traumatic or stressful that happened just before you began your diet? Stress was always the biggest cause for my adult acne.

Sometimes people change their diet after a relationship breakup or the loss of a job or even to get ready for an exciting vacation, or because they're starting a new relationship. Sad stress or happy stress can cause skin eruptions. Just something to think about.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    mlbehnken wrote: »
    It's the way your body responds to getting rid of the toxins inside your body. It's going to show up on your skin. Drinking water will help flush the toxins as well as a good probiotic.
    No. You don't rid "toxins" through the skin because there aren't any in there to begin with.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    The MAIN reason for this would be a shift in hormones. Especially if you just added or restarted a physical fitness program. Androgenic hormones increase (yes even if you're female) through exercise and even in diet.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Sigh. If "detoxing" caused acne breakouts, people in rehab would be using Clearasil by the gallon.
    :D:D:D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    I didn't realise we were only allowed to have one opinion about everything.....

Having looked it up online, a lot of people get skin break-outs during initial stages of detoxing.
    Opinions are fine. Stating them as "fact" without scientific back up......................that's different.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    How could not eating these things make a person's skin worse? I'm struggling to see a link here.

Because the breakdown of foods, hormones, etc causes by-products that have to be excreted. A major diet overhaul creates more by-products that need to be excreted. When the other detox organs become "taxed" with the extra need to rid the body of these by-products it goes for the next available detox organ. The skin is an excretory organ.

Just stop it with the with toxins already!!

No. Because the reality is, your skin is the largest organ of your body. We detox things out of our body via the liver, kidneys, lymph system, skin, and sweat glands. My friend's doctor had him take epsom salts bathes to help his liver and kidney (he only had one) detox out of the skin more to lighten the load on those two organs. When a person breaks out after a major diet overhaul that is exactly what their body is doing. It is working overtime to get rid of the junk in their body. The cleansing organs aren't doing it fast enough so it comes out the skin (because our skin is the largest organ of our body).
    I wasn't taught that in physiology. Where is a link for this to verify what you say?
    I get so sick of people saying their liver detoxes just fine or they need a doctor. Your body detoxes out of major organs and your skin is the largest of those in your body.
    Again, link it. You can lose some minerals, urea and lactic acid from sweating, but it's NO WHERE close to what goes through the liver and kidneys.
    If you don't like the word "toxins" then you can replace that with a big long explanation of "The body gets rid of broken down cells, digested food, and other by-products of the body by excreting them out via the major detox organs of the body.
    Please just stop. Digested food through the skin? :D
    These include the liver, kidneys, lymph system, skin and sweat glands." Or, you can generically call all of the crud your body gets rid of "toxins" because it's shorter. On a technical level a "toxin" is poisonous. In the health realm, people understand the word "toxin" to mean broken down by-products of the body's functions. If you don't like that term being used, then fine, have it your way. Use a big long explanation of what detox organs do. I don't care. Either way, the body excretes via the skin as well as liver and if broken down by-products are building up faster then the excreting organs can handle then alternative methods can be used to help the body push things through faster for the comfort of the person (ie epsom salts bathes for liver and kidney patients). If left alone, the body will eventually clear things out but the person may be uncomfortable for awhile when they experience extra sweating or acne, etc. For the OP, the obvious diet change is causing her body to "detox" out the skin - because that's one of the functions of skin!

OP, you can help the acne by just taking care of your face as you would for teen acne. You can also help the body push through the excretory process ("detox") by taking epsom salts bathes, drinking LOTS of water, exercise, etc.
    Your pseudoscience is pretty entertaining.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Sigh. If "detoxing" caused acne breakouts, people in rehab would be using Clearasil by the gallon.

Having worked in a rehab I can tell you that it is actually pretty common for peoples skin to breakout worse first before clearing up when they get clean