snacking on Diakon

Options
Theo166
Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
I just discovered a new snack to take to work - diakon radishes

I was always a fan of the usual red radishes, crisp and with a bit of radish heat. Now I discovered using the asian radish in the same way. If you are a fan of red radishes, give this a try. I find it a bit milder than regular radishes, so I can eat more. It will also grab attention as people see you biting into a big white disk of something :D

slice-daikon-radish-cooking-44453264.jpg

Replies

• zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I love daikon finely sliced in my soups :) also goes great braised with beef
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It's good in vegetarian sushi and Korean pickled vegetables, too. http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/pickled-daikon-cubes-with-carrots-and-jalapeños
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Looks like jicama. How do they differ?

• Theo166
    Options

Never had Jicama but after googling I bet they look identical cut up.

Taste wise, Daikon is considered milder and less peppery than other radishes. Served raw, it’s mild and tangy, with a crisp and juicy texture. When cooked, it is supposed to taste similar to cooked turnips.

I think Daikon has about half the calories per 100g but also much less fiber.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

Taste wise, Daikon is considered milder and less peppery than other radishes. Served raw, it’s mild and tangy, with a crisp and juicy texture. When cooked, it is supposed to taste similar to cooked turnips.

I think Daikon has about half the calories per 100g but also much less fiber.

I can not eat radish because of the stomach gas it gives me. I can eat Daikon radish without problems.

I put about 30g of both raw Daikon and yambean (jicama) in my salad. Both are crunchy, Daikon is firmer and a little sweeter and does not have as much moisture as a fully ripened jicama.

frdik2f99ue0.jpg
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options

I was always a fan of the usual red radishes, crisp and with a bit of radish heat. Now I discovered using the asian radish in the same way. If you are a fan of red radishes, give this a try. I find it a bit milder than regular radishes, so I can eat more. It will also grab attention as people see you biting into a big white disk of something :D

I'd like to see the attention you get just going to town on the whole daikon.

Do you not dress it with something? I've only had it pickled.
  • Theo166
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »

I'd like to see the attention you get just going to town on the whole daikon.

Do you not dress it with something? I've only had it pickled.

That would look strange, like something out of a cartoon it's so big for what Americans are used to seeing. After using a carrot peeler on the outside, it's pure white.

I think it would go well with something to dip. Although it's mild radish, you do notice the heat if you are eating multiple disks of it. I'm just starting to experiment with it now. I did make an edible kimchi with it last week.

I also noticed it's high in Potassium, which may explain the whoosh in water I've had today after eating a lot of it the past couple days.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options

Jicama isn't peppery at all. It's pretty mild and just a little sweet. To me it tastes like a less-sweet version of an apple or pear.

• asugar1390
    asugar1390 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am going to try it. I have love it in sushi. I have a lot of digestive issues so am trying an Aurveydic way of eating tonsee if it helps and this would fit right in . I'm looking for supportive friends!
  • Theo166
    Options
    @ClubSilencio, thanks for the tip - bought my first jicama today and will give it a try tomorrow.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's so good pickled