Advice please 1 stone 3 months

Options

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I want to hear what he has to say first. Can anyone reccomend were I can get some proper advice online ? Some sort of plan to follow ?

This site is a pretty good place to start - if you give it your age, weight, height, it will estimate your net maintenance calories, and a net calorie goal (emphasis on the "net") to lose 0.5/1/2 lbs/week and a decent default macro allotment (maybe aim for a bit higher protein). (But choose a reasonable loss rate, and eat at least some exercise calories back).

If currently doing 2 cardio days and 1 weight training days, you could increase that (add 1-2 weight training days and 1-2 cardio days per week), but make sure you are eating enough to support the activity.
  • Mikeyiscool182
    Mikeyiscool182 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Chicken and salads. Yogurt and oatmeal in the am.
  • jessreece434
    jessreece434 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies . What do you mean by eating at maintenance 1 week before the wedding ?
    I have no problems weighing / logging food etc. I am dedicated to get results.

I have logged my diary and contacted him and asked him to review everything at the weekend and to work out my macros correctly and that I am exhausted and not getting results so I will see what he comes back with . It's a shame as he's a great guy , I enjoy the classes / PT. But it appears he isn't an expert in nutrition as he told me ... I don't have any idea what qualifications he has he came highly recommended by the owner of the gym as a newbie I took his advice. PT talks the talk ... (pheraps stupid on my behalf to not ask the question! )
  • EvgenyTrawor
    EvgenyTrawor Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    omg i need to become a PT and tell people "no gluten" and charge them 100$. ridiculous. who needs knowledge if you can make money just like that
  • jessreece434
    Options
    Chicken salads I eat religiously ... he told me to avoid dairy and gluten ... so currently on green smoothies or eggs with green veg..
  • jessreece434
    Options
    Pretty glad he told me to get this app ?! Glad I asked the question now or the next 3 months could have been interesting ?! I tired , skint , bald bride :-)
  • BABYLILAC
    BABYLILAC Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sidesteel has given you great advise he knows what he is talking about ....and I would listen to him not your PT.
    Your wedding will be here soon so you need to act fast .
    Good luck
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thank you for your replies . What do you mean by eating at maintenance 1 week before the wedding ?
    I have no problems weighing / logging food etc. I am dedicated to get results.

I have logged my diary and contacted him and asked him to review everything at the weekend and to work out my macros correctly and that I am exhausted and not getting results so I will see what he comes back with . It's a shame as he's a great guy , I enjoy the classes / PT. But it appears he isn't an expert in nutrition as he told me ... I don't have any idea what qualifications he has he came highly recommended by the owner of the gym as a newbie I took his advice. PT talks the talk ... (pheraps stupid on my behalf to not ask the question! )

Eating at 'maintenance' would be changing your weekly loss goal to 0 lbs just before the wedding. I've heard stories of brides fainting on their day because of their dieting. whether you made your goal or not, you want to feel healthy and be in good spirits, not starved.

Your PT isn't evil incarnate, he's just spouting mainstream but bad advice and giving you a goal below what is generally recommended. Maybe he assumes people cheat and get enough calories or maybe he just doesn't know any better. Trainers are targeted by many companies to resell to their customers (multi-level marketing). I expect it's hard for a trainer to turn away easy money by not selling supplements.

Though you can speak with a nutritionist, I'd suggest just spending more time here on the forums. You are educating yourself for life, not something to outsource.
  • cldb77
    cldb77 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    where about in the UK are you? i know you like his exercise but you might need to shake it up a bit if you haven't been getting results you expect. £100 seems a lot, i pay £50 per month which gives me access to attending boot camp 6 days a week if i want ( i dont) plus, regular contact and support between sessions and nutrition advice. May be an idea to shop around and get a bit more value for money with someone who has good customer reviews and knows what he/she is doing all round.
  • jessreece434
    Options
    Thank you . But for the sake of a wedding I don't plan on stressing myself out over my weight I feel comfortable in my dress already I'm just not were I want to be ... but I won't be fainting on the day! It seemed a lot to be especially as it's joint PT with my friend and she is paying the same . There is no one else at the gym so it means leaving the gym and joining another one to find someone decent . I like the gym , classes and people which is a shame.
    With regards to mixing it up I only really know what he has taught me and from works out from online so I don't really know what to do to mix things up ?!
    I'm based in Telford Shropshire
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Thank you . But for the sake of a wedding I don't plan on stressing myself out over my weight I feel comfortable in my dress already I'm just not were I want to be ... but I won't be fainting on the day! It seemed a lot to be especially as it's joint PT with my friend and she is paying the same . There is no one else at the gym so it means leaving the gym and joining another one to find someone decent . I like the gym , classes and people which is a shame.
    With regards to mixing it up I only really know what he has taught me and from works out from online so I don't really know what to do to mix things up ?!
    I'm based in Telford Shropshire

Any chance the gym might have a few trainers as members who freelance? Some gyms have policies against it. Planet Fitness in the US, for example...so one trainer I know gets around it by just going there to "work out with" his clients. Some of the other members might know. Or you could find someone to train you at home. No need to quit your gym.
  • jessreece434
    Options
    Thank you . My PT is very popular at the gym so I would need to be careful doing that. There is another branch of the gym I am at not to far away so I might ask there.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Chicken salads I eat religiously ... he told me to avoid dairy and gluten ... so currently on green smoothies or eggs with green veg..

Dairy and gluten are NOT bad for weight loss.... your trainer knows jack crap.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Thank you . My PT is very popular at the gym so I would need to be careful doing that. There is another branch of the gym I am at not to far away so I might ask there.

Just use him for exercise coaching and motivation, where he's actually trained.
  • jessreece434
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm going to see what he says after I ask him about what I have learnt from this post and if I get the same answer I will be Looking for someone online to help me with nutrition and carry on training at the gym I'm at. Thanks guys
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    OP, I can see you've already taken on board the advice not to eat as little as 1000 calories per day, but I just wanted to add another problem with eating so little that no one has mentioned yet - 1000 is so little that the chances are also that you would be left so famished you would at some point give up, and end up overeating. The trick is to chose an amount of calories that's sustainable over time - for me that was about 1650 to begin with, then about 1800 to continue with a slow loss rate.
  • jessreece434
    Options
    Thank you . Spoke to PT this morning who advised as I have a goal I am on a 5:2 diet or something ? Its a calorie defecit diet ? I explained I feel tired and about not eating enough he said 1000 cal is fine and I need to up my cardio vascular excercise and if I feel tired have a coffee ?!! I asked if this is his plan for the next 3 months before wedding and he said yes and is encouraging me to work out more !

I have sent him a email tonight asking him to explain his reasoning and why I am gluten free / 1000 cal and feeling like this ... the hunt for a new nutritionist has began !
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Thank you . Spoke to PT this morning who advised as I have a goal I am on a 5:2 diet or something ? Its a calorie defecit diet ? I explained I feel tired and about not eating enough he said 1000 cal is fine and I need to up my cardio vascular excercise and if I feel tired have a coffee ?!! I asked if this is his plan for the next 3 months before wedding and he said yes and is encouraging me to work out more !

I have sent him a email tonight asking him to explain his reasoning and why I am gluten free / 1000 cal and feeling like this ... the hunt for a new nutritionist has began !

5:2 is a fasting method.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5:2_diet

I am really confused as to why he keeps recommending fads to you instead of a sensible calorie deficit eating foods you enjoy in moderation and appropriate amounts.

For the sake of your sanity, I would really definitely look for a new nutritionist because this guy has no clue what he is talking about.