Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Where do these ideas come from?

2»

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Libby283 wrote: »
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    If you're a shortie like me, the 1200 calorie limit is the lowest I can go and still lose weight. I'm not in a hurry to take it off, but as someone who is barely 5' tall, if I eat too much more than that without working out an hour a day, I won't lose weight!

1200 makes sense for shorties......but the one-size-fits-all approach is irksome. I know MFP has to bottom out somewhere.

I'm not tall, but my niece is. The average height for women has changed since the.............1920's (?)
    I don't know if 1200 was around back in the 1920's....but it does seem like forever.

I'm 5'0" tall and can lose weight on almost 1700 calories. My TDEE is just over 2200. I guess until the media changes what they put out there, it probably won't change.

But I am 5'3" and I gain weight on 1700 calories a day. 1200-1300 and I just maintain the same weight. I lose at the 1000-1100 range. Go figure.

As a teenager and through my 20's I could eat 2500 calories a day and stayed petite. That all changed in my 30's. Actually the moment I got on hormonal birth control. It is what it is though.

And I'm 5'3" and maintain on 1950. Usually eating around 1600-1800 when I exercise, 1450 when I don't.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Diet articles, woo peddlers, shows like The Biggest Loser showing people exercising til they puke. The healthy way to lose weight doesn't make for good episodic TV or news articles, it isn't sexy, you can't use words like stunning, shocking, amazing three times in every sentence. At least for what people want to see today.
    I actually think it is pretty amazing that you don't have to do anything exotic to lose weight.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    People want what they want right away. No one wants to be on a diet for a year, they want to be ready for the beach next month.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    People (me included) who have been trying every diet since forever (6th grade) we were told you can't eat this you can't eat that. You have to give up this or you will never lose. People can not believe that you just need to eat less and it will work. Atkins, Weight Watchers, South Beach Diet those things are all over the place.
    It took me a while to work this CICO thing and this is the first time in my life (I'm 34) that I have lost more then ten pounds. Even doctors tout terrible diets like Ideal Protein.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Libby283 wrote: »
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    If you're a shortie like me, the 1200 calorie limit is the lowest I can go and still lose weight. I'm not in a hurry to take it off, but as someone who is barely 5' tall, if I eat too much more than that without working out an hour a day, I won't lose weight!

1200 makes sense for shorties......but the one-size-fits-all approach is irksome. I know MFP has to bottom out somewhere.

I'm not tall, but my niece is. The average height for women has changed since the.............1920's (?)
    I don't know if 1200 was around back in the 1920's....but it does seem like forever.

I'm 5'0" tall and can lose weight on almost 1700 calories. My TDEE is just over 2200. I guess until the media changes what they put out there, it probably won't change.

But I am 5'3" and I gain weight on 1700 calories a day. 1200-1300 and I just maintain the same weight. I lose at the 1000-1100 range. Go figure.

As a teenager and through my 20's I could eat 2500 calories a day and stayed petite. That all changed in my 30's. Actually the moment I got on hormonal birth control. It is what it is though.

Are you saying turning 30 and birth control reduced your TDEE by 1300 calories per day!?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    If one serving of potato chips is good, then the whole bag is great, because more is better. If losing half a pound a week is good, then losing a pound a week is great, because more is better. #skinny_fat_logic

i think there's some form of that in pretty much everybody. might not be about calories or weight loss/gain at all, but it's there.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,920 Member
    It's because of the woo that the fitness and diet industry puts out there to ensure consistently bringing in money.
    It's been mentioned, but weight loss/gain/maintenance is just basic math. Some people don't want to accept that it's really that simple.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png