Gu energy gel

Options
Anyone else using it? I've started keeping a few packets in the car for when I feel like I need a boost before a longer cardio workout. They seem to work, but I can't say much for the experience of eating them. The primary ingredient is maltodextrin, which is a polysaccharide of glucose (and which is not very sweet).

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I do but not until 1 hour in to a long run. I never use them if I'm running under 90 minutes.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Only for very long runs.

And they don't give you a 'boost' before you workout. They help keep your glycogen levels up during very long steady cardio like running. They help keep you from bonking.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Only for very long runs.

And they don't give you a 'boost' before you workout. They help keep your glycogen levels up during very long steady cardio like running. They help keep you from bonking.

They've never stopped me :D
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I use sometimes use energy gels during particularly long rides (4+ hours) but never before.
    My glycogen levels would already be topped up from my food so it's only well into the ride I might need them.

Revolting things for the most part but very portable and effective.
    My preference on sub-maximal rides would be to eat carby snacks and sports drinks rather than gels.

There's a few energy gel options from isotonic ones, to glucose/fructose mixes, to ones with caffeine.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I use sometimes use energy gels during particularly long rides (4+ hours) but never before.
    My glycogen levels would already be topped up from my food so it's only well into the ride I might need them.

Revolting things for the most part but very portable and effective.
    My preference on sub-maximal rides would be to eat carby snacks and sports drinks rather than gels.

There's a few energy gel options from isotonic ones, to glucose/fructose mixes, to ones with caffeine.

Same here. Usually with a lot of water in the middle of the ride, at the start of a hill that I know I'm going to have to put some effort into.

edited for comprehensibility
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Only for very long runs.

They've never stopped me :D

As soon as runners start talking about 'bonking', my inner teenager bursts out and I start giggling uncontrollably.

As for the Gu gels, I don't know what it is about them, but my stomach can't handle them. I prefer the Clif Bloks if I'm running anything further than 8 miles.

I have never been so sick as after the marathon where a friend gave me one of these around mile 18. Stupid mistake - if you didn't train with it don't have it on race day. I felt awesome for a few miles, then yikes. I couldn't force myself to eat one ever again.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I also only use them for long runs and races. However, I prefer a similar product called Boom (or Carb Boom). The texture is not as thick, the flavor is better and my stomach handles them better over all. The apple cinnamon tastes just like apple pie filling. I get them from my local running store.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Like many others, I use them for longer rides or races. I always have one in jersey pockets on a ride just because bonking sucks. I find them particularly useful as well for early morning, high-intensity trainer rides. I can't really eat beforehand when I'm climbing on the indoor trainer at 5am for an interval session and I often find myself sagging 40 or 50 minutes into the workout. Popping a gel at the 30 minute mark seems to alleviate that problem.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    As long as they fit your calorie goals...

I don't do well with the gels--they upset my stomach. I prefer Clif Shot Bloks for my long runs (>1 hr). I have very defined timing for eating them during my half-marathons, and occasionally I will eat them in lieu of my pre-run banana. I am doing a triathlon this summer so I guess I'll have to find a gel that works for me since they are way easier to eat on the bike. I'll definitely test them out in a controlled setting as I know race day is not the day to try them for the first time (as someone above mentioned)...
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Daughter uses them when doing long runs training for marathons.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Gu is so gross and when I was cycling a lot and doing high mileage you practically had to hold me down to get me to use one. They do help, though! I prefer Shot Bloks, too, and find those pretty easy to get down.

I've never used them pre-workout. Considering how brick like they can sit, I don't think I ever would. A banana and peanut butter tends to be my go to.
  • cforsyth617
    cforsyth617 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you are going to use gels try different brands to find one you like. I personally don't like the taste of Gu. As a previous poster said Carb Boom is good. When I take gels I like the salted carmel flavour I use them when I do long runs, one gel after every five miles.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    None of the gels or blocks agree with me. I keep a stash of home dried banana chips for fructose, and gummy bears for sucrose, the combination of which is pretty darn good for keeping your muscles happy. (Science behind that)
    Ideally, whatever you put in your body before a long run should hold you about 45 minutes before you should start needing to supplement. But, of course, that is subject to the individual whims of everybody's bodies.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Only for long runs or bike rides, as others have said -- basically I wouldn't use them for a half or less, normally, but I use them during a marathon so train with them during my long runs starting about an hour in (although usually only for runs of at least 90 min to 2 hours long). They and the other gels are about the same for me. Weirdly enough I have no problems with gels, but sports drinks sometimes mess with my stomach.

For just bike rides I'm more apt to eat on the bike (banana, dried fruit, energy bar, maybe), but in a tri I will use gels on the bike too.

I can't imagine consuming a gel when not actively working out -- I don't like them that much. However, years ago I read an article in some running magazine about some guy eating just gels for a week that I want to drag out during some of the discussions about weirdo diets on MFP, but I haven't been able to find it again. Anyway, I can't imagine, and that's one straight sugar diet I'd lose on, since ugh who would want to eat? (I assume he supplemented with some kind of protein, but don't recall that.)
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    danpw2d02wz4.jpg

I much prefer these to gels, but only if I'm running over an hour or during a long tennis match if I'm starting to run out of steam.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i love the sated caramel gu - i have one around mile 7 of my 12 miles runs and will be taking a couple when i do my next half.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm a cyclist and like others, I always keep a gel in my jersey pocket as anti-bonk insurance, but I don't actually use them that often. I preferred to bring real food on my long rides - bananas and fig newtons are easy to eat on a bike and travel well in the back of a jersey. Between that and an energy drink in my bottles (I like Skratch Labs, but YMMV), I rarely needed the gel.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If I wanted a boost *before* a workout, I think I would actually eat something (like some fruit or part of a snack bar). I use Gu, but only during my long runs (anything longer than 12 miles or so).
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Love Gu. Didn't before, but in training for IM and eventually qualifying for Kona, I need my fuel to be lightweight and I have found Gu in mass quantities during really long workouts doesn't make me sick during or after. Most other gels do for me. I still hate the flavors, but as long as my body is fine with it, works for me. As someone else noted, I don't usually use gels for less than 90 minute workouts of moderate or greater intensity. Long and slow runs or bike rides I don't usually consume any gels...I'll just have some nuun energy or nuun active.