Binge help

Options
I have always been a chocoholic. Now that I am trying to lose weight though I can't seem to give it up. I am eating way less calories regardless of my eating 500 calories of chocolate some nights but my self control sucks. Not having it in the house actually makes it worse for me. I have tried that many times and I end up going out for ice cream or something and eating more calories than I would have with a king size Hershey bar. How do you work on self control? I have a list of reasons I want to lose weight and I have before pictures but it doesn't seem to be enough. I have been losing weight even with the chocolate but would still like to cut down on this bad habit.

Replies

• kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    What about instead of having a a whole candy bar, just having a couple of Hershey kisses to keep the craving in check?

If I am really craving something sweet or chocolate, which is rare for me anyway, I have one or two Hershey kisses. They are only 22 calories each and they usually satisfy my chocolate craving with out killing my calories for the day.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I buy chocolates in individual packages. I pop miniatures. When going for ice cream, I order the kids size.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Before I go out for a treat, I pre-log it.

Usually seeing the number of calories in the thing I wanted to get is enough to dissuade me and choose something else. If I'm really craving Dairy Queen - I'll still get it. But I'll look at their nutritional details before I go and choose something that fits into my calorie goals.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I log my entire day's worth of food before I ever eat breakfast, and leave 200-300 calories every night for chocolate or ice cream.

I would freak out and binge if I tried to cut it out completely.
  • hollyfoord
    hollyfoord Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Before I go out for a treat, I pre-log it.

Usually seeing the number of calories in the thing I wanted to get is enough to dissuade me and choose something else. If I'm really craving Dairy Queen - I'll still get it. But I'll look at their nutritional details before I go and choose something that fits into my calorie goals.

This ^ and it's ironic with this post that today I've slotted in a blizzard to my daily calorie goal. WIN!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I really sucked at moderating certain foods (the delicious calorie dense ones usually lol) I would love to eat all 100g of a Cadbury Fruit and Nut bar but that would be over 500 calories so I weigh out 20g (about 5 squares) and eat only that. I think that takes more strength than it takes me to squat 250lbs so I don't have an easy answer for you other than you're in good company :)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    I really sucked at moderating certain foods (the delicious calorie dense ones usually lol) I would love to eat all 100g of a Cadbury Fruit and Nut bar but that would be over 500 calories so I weigh out 20g (about 5 squares) and eat only that. I think that takes more strength than it takes me to squat 250lbs so I don't have an easy answer for you other than you're in good company :)

YES
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If Halo Top ice cream is available in your area, get some. It's a calorie counter's dream come true. https://www.halotop.com/
  • xo0candypops0ox
    xo0candypops0ox Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of Cadbury chocolate but now I've got Cadbury "options" hot chocolate which is only 40cals a cup. When I crave chocolate instead of eating physical bars I now just have a hot chocolate drink and it helps! Plus it's a fraction of the calories/fat/sugar. It's been a few weeks now since I've given it up and my cravings have drastically reduced overall. Alternatively sometimes I'll swap it out for slightly healthier alternatives like a slice of brown toast with a spoonful of Nutella instead of a whole chocolate bar. It still works out better. Good luck! Reduce with time instead of going old turkey. You're more likely to stick to it and it'll get easier :)
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have horrible issues with bingeing and don't quite have the answer yet, but can say that during times I've been successful I've found Hungry Girl has good recipes that speak to me- LOTS of food, less calories. It may not always be chocolate-related (though getting low-cal chocolate pudding and pairing that with fat free cool whip- yum!) but there are lots of sweet recipes and ideas for volumizing treats. One of my favs (again not chocolate) is 5 calorie jello- two servings of that with 45 grams of the ff cool whip is less than 50 cals and keeps me from much higher calorie desserts.

And while I'm not a living example of someone who has lost lots of weight and overcome bingeing, I can say that keeping it out of the house and pre-tracking makes a huge difference. I keep dark chocolate in my desk at work, and on days where I just need something I'll break off 3 or 6 squares, log it, and enjoy with a cup of coffee.
  • GirlPanda03
    GirlPanda03 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I too am a chocoholic. I stopped keeping milk chocolate in the house which is my favourite and instead have a bar of plain, dark chocolate (Morrisons Saver). It helps satisfy cravings, is healthier, and because it's so much stronger than milk chocolate I eat a lot less. I do find not having stuff in the house helps, as the easier it is to access the more you're likely to grab it.