201lbs Down, 109 to Go!

Options
Quasita
Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
Some of you guys here on MFP know me from my lurking and my constant presence and participation over the last several years. I started here on MFP back in 2012 or so, with my starting weight for MFP being 525lbs. My highest weight ever recorded was 535lbs.

I tell my story often. I've been known to share TMI in order to help other members here not feel isolated in their issues. My attitude is mostly tough love and no BS. Now I share the story weekly on YouTube and Facebook, and head up a support group for bariatric patients as well.

I'm not like a lot of the people on here... Despite a dedication to the process and working really hard, I've taken a long time to get to where I am. My regains have been mostly due to surgical bedrest (I have now had 4 abdominal surgeries since 2012) and it's been a slow, grueling trek.

When I started this, I firmly believed that I was practically incapable of losing weight because I had ruined my body through having a complex eating disorder and going through a massive period of grief and self-harm through food consumption. When I started losing weight, I was ecstatic... Some of you may remember my post from several years ago, where I popped up a photograph of myself after losing my first 50lbs. It was something I never thought I'd see... and I almost lost my momentum soon after when my weight loss caused me hormonal issues that resulted in my first abdominal surgery. Regained, lost again... Almost a year later, sick again, another surgery, another regain, lost, another surgery, regain, lost, and then finally... I stalled out. I stalled at a weight of 415lbs for over a year. Nothing we did, through lifestyle or medical influence, would break that stall. I finally caved, and sought the assistance of a bariatric team.

I had a gastric bypass in November 2016. On my surgery day, I had lost 115-120lbs on my own already, and I went under seriously hoping that it would help me break that long, long stall and make more progress. My entire medical team saw it as a drastic but necessary measure because the slow weight loss was simply causing me to be ill... it was potentially the only way to save my solo ovary, let alone make a significant positive impact to my health before I developed any serious comorbidities. I have been so very lucky to have never developed diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or any other "fat person" disease. Even though this fact made it difficult for me to be approved for surgery (I was even denied bariatric surgery in the beginning), we argued and won.

Well, here I am. I came out of surgery weighing 415lbs. This morning, I weighed in at 324lbs. This is 91lbs since November 16th... An astounding number to me, even though it is far below the mark when it comes to the expectations my surgical team had for my progress. I've struggled A LOT with accepting the fact that my body is simply not losing in the same way that the average WLS patient does... I may never lose at that rate. They charted my projections to say that I should have lost around 150lbs by now... but you know what?

I AM HAPPY.

I'm writing this as a part of the celebration of hitting 200lbs down. I started with a goal of losing 310... and now I consider myself on the home stretch. It hasn't been easy at all, it hasn't been the traditional route, and I sure am not the traditional woman on here. My weight loss life has been pretty different... but I'm proud of it.

This is what weighing 324lbs at 6'1" looks like for me. This is what it looks like to conquer a massive beast, to put up some serious numbers, and still have a ways to go. This is what it looks like to impress yourself. This is what it looks like to put on workout clothes that you bought without trying them on, from a "normal person" clothing section, and have them fit.

pu0a82ybu98l.jpg
yps1ie3iotjk.jpg
cq1905v9j4e9.jpg

Replies

• shakenbake57
    shakenbake57 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You've been through so much and persevered. You have every right to be proud of where you are in your journey! You go girl!
  • _Namaste_Heart_
    _Namaste_Heart_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your story brought tears to my eyes... thank-you for sharing! <3
  • Quasita
    Options
    Thanks to you guys. I know it's still just a progress update but things have changed so much since those hopeless days!!
  • ttodd16
    ttodd16 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! How inspiring!
  • snowfallingsoftly
    snowfallingsoftly Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. A lot of work. Well done.
  • sbro32
    sbro32 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That is some inspiring perseverance! Congratulations!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    That is incredible dedication and perseverance- I am so impressed and inspired. Congratulations on your successes so far and good luck on your home stretch!
  • pldavis10
    pldavis10 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    What an amazing journey so far! You've found a way through the roadblocks and persevered. Way to go!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Just keep plugging away and follow your plan, as you have been, and you will reach your goals.
  • Quasita
    Options
    You all are just so kind :) Was just a day or two after I posted this that I wore my first dress bought at Target since about half my life ago. I try to share my story to help other people know that the story isn't so easy for everyone... It's easy to think you're the only one who struggles, when people are only wanting to share when they have reached their end goals.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Would love to see you in your new dress! You look great!
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    AMAZING! Thank you for sharing. Keep on keepin on girl!
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    So happy for you! You can do this!
  • Wizeman22
    Wizeman22 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing today! It has been a while since I showed my face in MFP. I have been busy with my fitness journey and trying to use my body as an inspiration to other people. I would love for us to take this journey together and hopefully we can become an international inspiration. Add me if you want to take this journey together, if not good luck on your fitness journey.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Love your persistence! Great job.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Wow...amazing story! You are so right about the expectations of others or what others say is the "norm" causing frustration! This is your journey and it is the journey of a lifetime! Congratulations on your success...the ability to shop easily is such a huge win! I always wanted to be able to wear clothes that I liked, as opposed to clothes that covered my belly. :smiley: That is a win for me!

Thank you again for sharing, I look forward to seeing more success!
  • NavajoGirl85
    NavajoGirl85 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Your story is very inspiring and I'm so happy for you! You have absolutely proven you can do this and I look forward to seeing more posts from you in the future.
  • skinnyislandgurl
    skinnyislandgurl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing, Great JOB! you looking amazing. Keep it up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!