Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

how many calories do you burn at the gym a day?

This is saying that you eat perfectly fine. Do you have a goal for each day? week?

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 989 Member
    I don't worry about how many calories I burn at the gym - I concentrate on toning and building muscle strength. If I know I'm likely to be out drinking or for a meal, I may spend longer on the cross-trainer to 'earn' some calories but, otherwise, my normal diet is mostly in line with my calories goal now. If I do too much exercise, I have to find something else to eat to make up the calories!
  • becca6879
    becca6879 Posts: 20 Member
    I usually have a goal between 600-800... Probably because I'm a crazy annoying overachiever
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    I don't have a goal other than to give 100% to my workout while I'm there. I'm on the heavier side so I usually burn no less than 600 per workout though
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    No goal burn for me. I have a routine I do and it might burn 200 a session...maybe. However I'm not there trying to burn as many calories as possible. My workouts are for my health, vanity and to increase strength. As an added bonus it means I can eat a bit more than if I didn't workout.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,217 Member
    None
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    I do mine more for the routine. I have the expectation of around 400 calories, but it's more out of necessity because I like snacking and I have to make room for dinner :D also, like a poster above me said, the more I burn, the more it sucks sometimes because I have to search to fill the extra calories I didn't plan for. You can only eat so much peanut butter, Greek yogurt, Turkey jerky sticks, string cheese, and protein chocolate milk before you go mad.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,989 Member
    The burn estimate for my 60 minute workouts are pretty sad. Because of my size, 30 minutes of intense cardio and 30 minutes of strength training only gets me about 250 calories. But, I do it for my overall health, not for the calorie burn.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    No goal. I work out for fitness not for extra food. I don't burn enough to bother with anyway. An intense hour in the gym is only like 200 calories for me. If that.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    No goal. It depend on how far I run. Usually, it is in the 300-600 calorie range. I actually burn more OUTSIDE the gym. If I do a long hike, I can burn over 1,000. But the goal is the hike itself.. the calories are just a bonus.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    I don't have a burn goal. I work out to build strength and because I love how it makes me feel. It usually comes to between 200-300 but sometimes more or less. I do 30min of cardio and 30-45min of weights
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    I don't do the gym but I run (primarily trail but also do road work and treadmill when my husband is OOT)- it's not about the caloric burn, it's the miles and chasing race pace baby ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,892 Member
    I workout because I love to and it's my lifestyle. Even when I go on vacation, the first thing I consider is "where am I going to workout?" Calories are burned at whatever I do. Some days I burn less (shoulder and arm days) and others more (leg days). Either way, I don't focus on the calories I just make sure I don't eat too much. That's how I've been close to the same weight for over 2 decades.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • vpblanda1126
    vpblanda1126 Posts: 8 Member
    I try to root for 100-200 calories but it all depends on how long I work out for. I try to work out about 30-45 minutes
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    I workout for strength/definition...I honestly don't track calories burned, because I know it to be sometimes inaccurate and I'm not doing cardio at the gym.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2017
    If I'm in the gym it's a plyometric session so I'd estimate that's about 200-300 for an hour. I don't log those as the burn isn't high enough to worry about.

For training, i have time and distance goals, so it's not a calorie goal. Short runs will be 6-10 miles and I'll do three of those per week; 600-1000 calories. Long runs are twice a week on Saturdays and Sundays and will be 12-20 miles with the occasional up to 30. So 1200-2000 calories normally with occasional 3000.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I try for 450-500. I only walk on the treadmill though so that usually takes 80 minutes or something (enough for my 10k steps).

My legs have been very fatigued lately though so unfortunately I just can't go as fast/steep as I used to.
  • bsxstph
    bsxstph Posts: 2 Member
    My goal is at least 200 and my average is between 200-300. While it makes me feel good and look good, I do it because I like to eat.
  • 40two200
    40two200 Posts: 2 Member
    My goal is around 300 calories per day at the gym.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    neasimms_ wrote: »
    This is saying that you eat perfectly fine. Do you have a goal for each day? week?

No, I don't have a goal of calories to burn. What I do each day completely depends on how I feel, what I need to accomplish, and how much time I have. A couple of months ago I was in the gym for 4 hours one night. I've done 3 many nights, but most nights, it's about 2. I never really think about the calorie burn - unless I had pigged out that day LOL.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Absolutely none because I hate the gym so boring! Now if I'm going for a walk or a swim i aim for an hour.