Options
jimlee22
jimlee22 Posts: 43 Member
I granola fattening and how much should I have

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Overeating is fattening. Eating too many calories of any food will cause fat gain.

Granola is calorie dense, but that doesn't mean you can't eat it. Weigh it, log it, and eat a portion that fits in to your calorie goal for the day.

Personally, I've started using granola/cereal as a topper to add texture rather than a substantial part of a meal. I'll put a sprinkle on fruit and yoghurt to add crunch
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    It is if you eat a lot of it look at calorie content and fit it in with your goals, make your own granola so you can keep track of how much sugar and other goes into it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The point of granola is to add tasty bits to oatmeal so that we will eat the oatmeal that's good for us. Those tasty bits are where the sugar and fat are. Use a digital kitchen scale to accurately weigh the portion you've determined to use.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Granola is basically sugar-coated deep-fried (OK- not actually deep fried, but coated with oil and baked) oats. So yeah, pretty calorie dense. Great for backpacking, not so great for mindless snacking.

Have whatever amount fits into your diet (the calorie content per weight will be on the back of the package).

You can cut down on the calorie content A LOT by making your own. (Whisk some honey and oil together, optionally some water if you cut down a lot on the oil, optionally vanilla. Pour in oats and stir/blend with your hand until all are somewhat slightly moistened/coated (just slightly - if really soaked with oil, then add way more oats otherwise you might as well buy the commercial stuff).

Even toasting plain oats can get you a bit of a very slight nutty flavor that might make you like them more.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Oh yeah- I forgot to add: spread them onto a baking sheet and bake at like 275-375°F for 15-30 minutes. (Check on it every few minutes).
  • jimlee22
    jimlee22 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice it's I'm not sure what to eat for breakfast and I heard people say it's good when on a diet I'll after rethink what to have now
  • ritzvin
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I usually have granola (or a crumbled up Clif bar - which is granola-esque) with my greek yogurt in the morning - just watch the portion.

A very basic granola won't have any/much protein on its own.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    jimlee22 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice it's I'm not sure what to eat for breakfast and I heard people say it's good when on a diet I'll after rethink what to have now

It's hard to beat bacon & eggs for breakfast.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    My go-to breakfast is 1 cup of red seedless grapes, topped with one fat-free Greek yogurt, topped with 1 Nature Valley crunchy granola bar, crumbled (1/2 of a 2-bar packet; around 95-120 calories depending on flavor.)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your calories and you like it, eat it. I have some mixed into a cup of Greek yogurt with cherries or mixed fruit.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    it isn't fattening if you consume fewer calories than you burn. that's all that matters.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    jimlee22 wrote: »

Eat what you like for breakfast.... There is no "good" or "bad". Whatever you want should fit your calorie goal, and make you feel good, satisfy you, satiate you, and make up part of an overall balanced diet. Personally I don't eat breakfast.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Granola has a long-standing rep for being "healthy". But it is calorie dense. A serving is between a quarter and a third of a cup.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    1. Calories in one cup of granola can be: 420 calories. One cup of milk is another 158 for total 568 calories
    2. Calories in two eggs and two pieces of toast with butter: 520
  • razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i have it a few times a week as I love it u can get slightly healthier ones but just don't have bowls full of the stuff, I usually have 60 grams of granola, 150 ml of almond milk and 100 grams banana in it and it comes to 344 calories so not terrible
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I find granola terribly sweet, so found some Bircher base that is like granola without the honey & sugar added; it's oats with some nuts seeds & raisins added. I use it to top my yoghurt. Nice! And much better than the oversweet granola.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Granola is basically sugar-coated deep-fried (OK- not actually deep fried, but coated with oil and baked) oats. So yeah, pretty calorie dense. Great for backpacking, not so great for mindless snacking.

Have whatever amount fits into your diet (the calorie content per weight will be on the back of the package).

You can cut down on the calorie content A LOT by making your own. (Whisk some honey and oil together, optionally some water if you cut down a lot on the oil, optionally vanilla. Pour in oats and stir/blend with your hand until all are somewhat slightly moistened/coated (just slightly - if really soaked with oil, then add way more oats otherwise you might as well buy the commercial stuff).

Even toasting plain oats can get you a bit of a very slight nutty flavor that might make you like them more.

If you want to up the protein of your granola add a large egg white to the mixture, this will also help making those lovely crunchy clusters.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you make your own, there is no need to add any oil to it. I'm completely uncertain as to why oil is necessary. I've been making it for decades never adding oil. You can up the protein quality of it by putting mixes of seeds and nuts in your food processor until they arecompletely pulverized then stirring them in.
    For my own breakfast I don't do as well with that kind of carbohydrate load. I need more protein and I am a big fan of beans and tortillas. I make my own refried beans starting with a small amount of virgin coconut oil to sauté my onions. That really limits the amount of fat. A quarter cup smeared on threeregular corn tortillas is a great base for breakfast. You can add some low-fat mozzarella – – maybe a tablespoon of shreds on each tortilla. Fold them up and then have fruit on the side. Or, whack up Lettuce and tomatoes and throw them in to start your vegetable intake for the day. I am also fond of scrambling an egg with a bunch of chopped up cooked greens in it and putting that in corn tortillas.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I usually add 10 grams of nature valley protein granola to my greek yogurt and berries for a snack at work. .gives it just enough of a crunch. Just bought the dark chocolate one today cant wait to try it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You should have the amount that fits your calories and meets your other goals for the day.