Nutrition Help for Newbie

Options
Hello,
I'm around 5' 1.5" and currently weigh 154.5lbs. I'm attempting to eat better and have improved, but was needing some information about nutrition. I'm not sure has many calories, carbs, protein, sodium, sugar, etc I should actually be consuming a day. I know the app gives you an idea, but I just want to make sure it is correct. I work at a job that I rarely get to eat at and I'm usually there 6 plus hours a day. Are eating protein bars okay enough to make sure I'm getting nutrition? I do occasionally eat one before my shift starts. But lately I've noticed that I fall below 1000 calories a day. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss, then hitting your total calorie count will help you reach your goals.

The rest is just information. Protein is a minimum to prevent unintended side effects (muscle, hair loss).

Carrying a protein bar to work is smart. I get very cranky if my meals aren't spaced out well.

You may also try using a crock pot so you come home directly to a warm meal.
  • Deadberri
    Deadberri Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I apologize about the delay in my response. I'll have to look up some nice recipes for using a crock pot. :) I'm not super familiar with it yet. I boiled some eggs recently to help out. I tend to run behind when going to work and then getting home super late I don't eat as often as I probably should. I eat around 1 meal and maybe a snack. Any recommendations on what I should do to keep up with the rest of the nutrition information? I know I need to work on waking up on time and I should probably prepare meals for the week in advance. I find it difficult to do diet programs that actually "show" you meals to do, because I feel like it's way to expensive to follow.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    In terms of macro goals, you are safe to go with with MFP recommends to you. Then just get religious about logging everything you eat, which give you self awareness about what works for you and what doesn't. Also figure out how you can hit your calorie goal, it's not smart to consistently way undershoot your target.
  • Deadberri
    Options
    Makes sense. :) I was worried that not hitting the target would definitely be just as bad as over eating.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    There are no "shoulds" for how often to eat. It is o.k. to eat a meal and a snack.
    Make choices with enough calories to fill up your day.
  • Deadberri
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you both :smile:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Just an intro to nutrition on one foot:

Macronutrients are what supply the calories in our foods. The 3 macronutrients are carbohydrates, fat, and protein. Carbohydrates are important because they fuel our brains and act as a quick source of energy. Fat insulates our nervous system, forms the walls of our cells, and stores nutrients. Protein is basically what most of our body is made of. Carbohydrates and protein are about 3 calories per gram, but carbs aren't filling. Fat is filling, but it's also nutrient-dense at 9 calories per gram.

Micronutrients are the vitamins and minerals that perform a variety of tasks in keeping the body up and running. That said, if you are eating a well-balanced diet and aren't malnourished, you probably don't need to worry about those.

If you need to add more calories, I'd recommend starting by taking a look at your food diary and considering the nutrient breakdown on a weekly basis, then add according to what's missing from your diet.
  • Deadberri
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the breakdown. :) Super appreciated. I'll look into my food diary and see what I need to do.