This Time It's Sustainable - Any Tips?

Options
SuGetsFit
SuGetsFit Posts: 3 Member
Hi Everyone!

I want to incorporate changes that will keep me in a healthy shape for good. I've successfully maintained a 30 - 40 lb weightloss for about 5 years now. It's the last 30 - 40 that are so tricky to get rid of!

I lost a lot of weight (~40 lbs, for ~70 lbs total) a few years ago by ruthlessly eliminating all grains and sugar from my diet. It was a bad method for me. I'd cry when I saw "pretty skinny women" eating things I "can't have". Like, why does she get to have that and not me? When will I be worth enough to eat a granola bar? So messed up! I gained most of it back from living in a town with 5 bakeries within walking distance of my apartment, and from trying to hate myself thin.

My goal now is to weigh ~140 lbs. Exercise more, eat more veggies. I signed up for a Sprint Triathlon in July, and am replacing snacking from the office candy jar with healthier snacks. Who knew celery was actually good? Not me.

Does anyone have any tips for going about losing weight for good in a loving way, rather than a restrictive one?

And, since it wouldn't be a proper intro without photos:
aLkwv2I.jpg ax9a5UP.jpg
July 2010, 200 lbs // July, 2011, 180 lbs

bI5jZtD.jpg
April 2012, 140 lbs
(I thought I was a "pig in a lady suit", and unfit to be seen in public :( )

ztkkrJV.jpg APrio2z.jpg 3hRJrrf.jpg
Sept. 2012 - April 2015: ~165 lbs // June 2015, ~155 This is my next goal! // February 2017, ~170: (thanks desk job, depression, and IUD)

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm losing at a relatively sustainable rate, started at over 255lb and 4 months on I'm now down 24lb and have about another 45lb to go, I haven't restricted anything really, slow and steady is the way forward. I've put some of my discoveries, tips and musings in my blog (particularly in March) if you would like to have a read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/tinkerbellang83.

Well done on getting the initial 40lb off and maintaining for 5 years that's a pretty awesome achievement.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problems, been restrictive, lost weight and then gained it all back. I have found instead of taking foods away it is better to find a lower calorie alternative. So instead of taking snack bars away, I still eat that every morning, a nature valley protein bar along with a cheese stick and a banana creme greek yogurt. Those things make me happy. It feels like I'm just snaking yet I get some fuel to start my day. I was never a big breakfast person I hate eggs and they upset my tummy. I use to do oatmeal but that also upsets my tummy now.

Anyways, I like to have a desert after dinner. A sugar free popsicle that is 30 calories or a peanut butter delight greek yogurt that is 130 calories. Both are great for filling that desire for a sweet treat but I can keep myself under my limit.

I think it is really important to retrain yourself to this alternative treats and realize once you start, if you want to maintain you have to do this for life. So make it stuff you enjoy eating and something that doesn't seem like a punishment. And if you go to a birthday party, have a piece of cake. It is one time, it isn't like you're going everyday. Just realize it has to be a once in a while special occasion thing.
  • SuGetsFit
    SuGetsFit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    No need to cut out anything you like, in order to lose weight/maintain the loss. You didn't gain weight because you ate items from the bakeries-you gained weight because you ate over your maintenance calorie intake. What would be a more sustainable approach would be to learn how to fit in all the things you like eating, into your calorie targets. You may not be able to eat bakery items every day, but you can learn how to fit them into your life, in moderation :)