How Much Water Do You Drink Per Day?

Options
We've all heard of a thousand different recommendations but I want to know which one you follow and how well it works for you.
I'm currently just replacing sodas and sweet tea with water. But not really focusing on an amount yet.

Replies

• Lorilynn_37
    Lorilynn_37 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've always heard to drink half your body weight in oz.
    Example I'm 160 so I need 80 ounces of water a day..
    That doesn't mean I do it though! lol I have to add flavor in my water.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    We've all heard of a thousand different recommendations but I want to know which one you follow and how well it works for you.
    I'm currently just replacing sodas and sweet tea with water. But not really focusing on an amount yet.

I have a SodaStream and I fizz up one liter bottle in the morning. I make sure it is empty by the end of the day. I also have coffee and drink still water or diet soda during the day so if I finish off the liter bottle in addition, I should be good. Hot weather I drink more, cold weather I drink less.

The most important thing is: do you feel good? Is your pee very pale yellow-ish (the color of a manila folder)?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    No clue. I get most of my water from coffee, diet soda, tea, and watery vegetables. My pee is almost clear. As long as urine is light, I don't think about it.
  • DanielleFaithItMakeIt
    Options
    I used to try drink a gallon but found it was just too much. So now I focus on simply drinking half of my body weight in water. I can usually accomplish that by just filling up my water bottle 5x's a day :)
  • beckibarkley
    beckibarkley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I drink approximately a gallon a day...some days more/less. I drink couple cups of coffee and very seldom drink soda.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I never track it. There's no agreed upon or "best" amount. Drink when thirsty, drink more when you're very active or it's very hot out. You don't want dark or concentrated urine but there is no need/benefit to drinking so much that you're peeing all the time or your urine looks like water. For most people simply drinking when thirsty will do the job.
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I drink when I'm thirsty and I don't keep track. I think the whole thing about trying to drink a certain large amount of water is just a fad.

I don't drink anything with calories in it, and I don't like artificial sweeteners, so it's pretty much just tap water, unsweetened tea, and black coffee in the morning.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I drink when im thirsty.
    If my pee is dark ill make an effort to drink a bit more, if its pale ill just drink if i feel like it
  • megd44
    megd44 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I make sure that I am drinking enough fluids that my pee s very light. Mostly water during the day, and I generally drink well over 64 oz. because I live in the desert and am fairly active. I literally have my water bottle with me everywhere I go.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I don't drink some silly arbitrary amount. I drink enough do that my urine is pale yellow/straw coloured. I don't want to dilute my electrolytes.
  • LMM217
    LMM217 Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I drink 12-16 oz during/right after my morning workout. I have a 2.2 liter water jug from Walmart that I usually finish at work. I might throw a La Croix in at lunch. Then I have another 12-24 oz with/after dinner. I also drink black coffee in the mornings. I used to drink a Diet Dr. Pepper every day. When I started my fitness journey, I fully intended to keep drinking it. But, I haven't wanted one in months! I find plain water or La Croix to be much more satisfying. Also, I've found that drinking this amount of water has helped tremendously with the occasional hangover I might have lol
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Little over 1 gallon/day right now. But once the Vegas Death heat hits, it can spike over 2 gallons if I'm working outside.
  • edwill3456
    edwill3456 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 gallons a day. What I hate is that I get up at night to use the bathroom alot.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I naturally drink a lot of water. I like ice water and I'm often thirsty. I end up drinking about 100-120 oz of water per day plus 32-40 oz coffee (and some unsweetened vanilla almond milk in smoothies some days). My cardiologist even told me I should consider drinking less water. :p
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I used to track it and averaged 80-100oz a day. I stopped tracking a few months ago and probably drink half as much now but feel fine
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I drink to satisfy my thirst and stay well hydrated. If I'm feeling puffy from excess sodium the day prior I might push a little extra, but I don't bother tracking water any more.
  • HoustonStrongMT
    HoustonStrongMT Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 to 3 liters a day. I love my soda stream because I only really like carbonated water. If it's carbonated I'll drink it. I also drink a few cups of coffee in the morning but I don't count that in my water intake.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I drink about a gallon a day
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There's no magical number and one's hydration needs would vary for many reasons. Just stay hydrated...pale light colored urine means you're hydrated. If you're running completely clear, you are over hydrated.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Time to trot out my favorite graphic:

scouts.jpg