Foot Changes During Weight Loss Journey

Options
Not sure if this is correct forum for question or not. Have lost a fairly large amount of weight, 76lbs and counting, and my feet seem to have changed significantly. I have added a half to full shoe size and the balls of my feet are causing me some grief. Seems losing weight also reduced fat layer on ball of foot may be cause. Tried various over the counter insoles, non really worked, and heading to a chiropodist/podiatrist to look into custom orthopedics to maybe help. No pain, just annoyance. Anybody else see this problem and what did you do?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    i need to wear 2-3 sets of socks to wear my shoes :< never heard of adding
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Are you walking a lot? My podiatrist said my pain was from osteoarthritis/bunions and aggravation from a lot of walking (20K+ steps/day) with poor arch support.

Being on your feet in general can make them "bigger" at the end of the day. Good luck, and I hope the doc helps!
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    From all the years I've been reading the forums here I've only ever seen one other person besides myself say they needed to go up in shoe size after losing a significant amount of weight. It's much more common for your feet to shrink.

After losing over 140+ pounds I went from a 10.5 to an 11 shoe. I never understood how it was possible and then I mentioned it on a thread here and someone responded that my feet probably got "flatter" and more spread out... which makes sense so I guess that's what happened. I've always had big feet so I was REALLY hoping they would get smaller but no luck for me. It was already hard to find shoes in my size, now its even harder :'(

I typically get over 15,000 steps per day and I buy the Dr. Scholl's Active Series Replacement Insoles in my shoes, they are normally $20 pair but you can get them cheaper on amazon. They have a women's and a men's version. I find these invaluable for me and find they make a huge difference in how my feet feel.
  • aldavid18
    aldavid18 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Walking is pretty much my only mode of exercise. Weather permitting I walk 5-7 miles per day though out the week. On the weekends 8 or so. I don't count steps, only time and/or distance. I have noticed my feet are narrower for sure, but they are definitely longer. I've had to toss shoes I've worn for several year prior to loss due to toe pinch. I think as stated above my feet may have flattened out to a degree. I dunno. I've tried various Dr. Scholl's inserts, Sof Soles, and Superfeet insoles, all with relatively the same results. It may be related to arch support but with the Superfeet, which supposedly has superior arch support, the same feeling was there if not worse. Hopefully the doctor can have a look and get me pointed in the right direction. Thanks for responses gang:)
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Wow I've never heard of anyone who has lost weight that has needed a larger size shoe. I lost over 50 lbs. and went from a size 9 to 8. I never realized your feet actually get smaller when you lose weight until it happened to me
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Go to a store that specializes in fitting running shoes. They should be able to help you find the right shoe to fit your feet. Hopefully the doctor has some ideas for additional support as well.