Emotional eater

Options
I've been doing so well.

Just got emotional/pissed off and want to reach for the easter egg in the fridge.

How can I change it that I won't do that or even think it?

Replies

• SuziK28
    SuziK28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's not my chocolate egg it's my daughters. Doesn't mean I won't eat it lol

Thanks for the advice
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Find some small little habit you can replace the habit to reach for food. Take a quick walk. Bookmark some funny videos on YouTube to pull up on your phone. Pick up some trashy romance novels or a book of short stories and read a couple of pages. Anything that would be easy to do quickly.

Then find a way to remind yourself. Put a sticky on the fridge. Wear a ring on a finger you wouldn't usually whenever your at home. Put a stuffed animal or a figurine wherever you are most likely to see it when you are considering eating.

Emotional eating is a habit. It takes work, but you can break a habit, and the best way is to replace it with a better one. Good luck!
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! *hugs* I wish I had an answer, but I am still struggling right along with you.

Down 140lbs: My story.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about eating, moving and living a good, healthy life as "doing well".
    Eat food you like. Never eat anything just because it's supposed to be "healthy".
    Don't use food to regulate emotions. Find more effective ways. Exercise, hobbies, listening to music, meditation, talking to someone, folding clothes, even going to bed early - there are lots of better ways.
    Plan your meals and buy what you need to execute the plan.
    Don't buy foods you don't intend to eat.
    Keep in mind that you can control your actions, but you can't really - and you don't have to - control your thoughts. But your attitudes are indeed connected to your actions, and attitude is a set of basic ideas about how things are connected, and your habits will influence your attitudes and vice versa. This takes work and commitment, but it's worthwhile.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I go for a walk around the block or a run or something to change the energy into something positive - I have been known to clean the whole kitchen when upset and the weather was atrocious.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Look for alternatives: call or visit a friend, have a soak in the bath with a good book, take a boxing class, go for a walk, pick up the knitting needles, do a puzzle, play cards...etc etc
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Take a big, long drink of water.

Go out for a powerwalk, and put your headphones on LOOOOUD. If you don't feel better after that, then spend your exercise calories and buy a small chocolate bar of your own, not your daughter's. Or if the shops are shut, make a cake.

If you want to eat when you're upset, there is no way that it's going to end after you've eaten your child's egg. You'll just feel worse once the guilt sets in and want to eat more.