Does stevia help to control blood sugar?

Options
Does stevia help to control blood sugar?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    In rats, yes. To my knowledge it hasn't been demonstrated in human yet, though.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For me, the only benefit is that I am not using sugar which would affect my BG.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Stevia is an artificial sweetener that has insignificant calories. It does not stimulate an insulin response.

Anything with insignificant calories will not stimulate an insulin response. So that would include water, carbonation, and all other artificial sweeteners.

A diet where carbs are carefully monitored will help control blood sugars. Any food with insignificant calories including those mentioned above and say, lettuce, will help control blood sugars.

A true medical marvel is Metformin. It reduces blood sugar by suppressing the liver's production of sugar and by increasing cell sensitivity to sugar.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/glucophage.html
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Stevia isn't artificial. It's made from a plant. It has many benefits, including anti-bacterial properties. It does help with blood sugar. Metformin has side effects, it caused severe diarrhea in my husband. Every half hour kind of diarrhea. I use pyure and splenda naturals. They taste really good!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Stevia is sweet but it's not a sugar. So even though it comes from a plant it's still an artificial sweetener.

The first pain killer discovered was an extract from willow bark. It's natural but I bet you don't think of it that way. Aspirin.

Vinegar is natural and has antibacterial properties as well. It is not a panacea though.

Of course any substance comes with side effects. Metformin has known side effects. My dosage was introduced slowly so I adapted. I'm not on Metformin any more after significant weight loss.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Stevia is a natural, not artificial, sweetener extracted from the Stevia plant. The leaves are dried, then through a water extraction process, the various sugars are removed and crystallized using alcohols. It does not affect blood glucose levels. There is somequestion as to whether it is mutagenic in large amounts.
    Just to be sure if you use it, that what you are getting is just Stevia. It is often mixed with erythritol which is truly nasty stuff. So, avoid Truvia, and Zevia soda for example.