Sodium

What happens if you add a little sodium. I eat 2300 but want to add 2500.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    200 calories of sodium?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited April 2017
    200 calories of sodium?

I like salt... But I don't think I'd eat that much! :p

OP, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Do you mean change your sodium goal to 2500mg vs 2300? Nothing. If you mean eat 2500mg, nothing may happen. Some people say they get a little "puffy" due to water retention but everyone does not. Everyone is different.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    So you want to have 2500mg of sodium instead of your usual 2300, right? Nothing bad will happen, you *may have a little water retention over the next day or two, I know i do if i even go a little over. But other than that you'll be fine.

No blood pressure problems or anything like that, i assume?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    After long term high sodium intake a person is likely to delevop hypertension which will effect your coronary arteries and may lead to heart attack.

Short term, you may retain some water weight.
  • RainbowWander
    RainbowWander Posts: 6 Member
    2500mg is not considered high sodium intake. It's actually the norm. Try it for a week or two and listen to your body.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    lizery wrote: »
    After long term high sodium intake a person is likely to delevop hypertension which will effect your coronary arteries and may lead to heart attack.

Short term, you may retain some water weight.

link to that long term part?? Even if true I think it would take ridiculous amounts
  • deviousme7
    deviousme7 Posts: 61 Member
    You could try salt that is 60% less sodium if it's the salt taste you are after
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I'm usually way over my sodium. BP is still down due to weight loss and when I saw my doctor last month, he didn't mention I needed to cut back, so it's something I take notice of, but not really a concern.

As far as water retention, the weight is still coming off, which makes me think that either

1) My body happens to be able to tolerate more sodium than some others or
    2) Prior to MFP and tracking my micros and macros, I was ingesting significantly more sodium than recommended already and I've cut back. I find this likelier, since I've got much more of a salt tooth than an sweet one. So, if I was (pulling a number out of thin air) ingesting on average 4500 mg of sodium per day before MFP and now average 2800? Yeah, I'm probably retaining less water even with going over my sodium rec.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    There isn't any calories in sodium and unless you have hypertension and/or blood pressure issues I wouldn't worry about it. I never measure my sodium.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Sodium is so odd. The American Heart Association has been preaching for decades that we need to consume no more than 2300 mg of sodium if we are healthy, and no more than 1500 mg of sodium if we have high blood pressure. And for decades, we have ignored them. Americans still consume over 4000 mg of sodium per day and our rate of mortality from cardiovascular diseases continues to decline. Could it simply be that the real world has demonstrated the AHA preaching to be flawed?
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    That or we are taking more cardiac meds than ever