Time to start jogging

Options
I know jogging is the best way to lose weight and keep fit. It has helped in the past, but now I'm at 169lbs I just find it so difficult! Maybe if my *kitten* and hips weren't so heavy, it might be easier! Its just so embarrassing, I can't even run a mile without gasping for air and wheezing heavily... like a pregnant obese woman. I'm not... pregnant that is, woman I am, but I'm struggling and would really appreciate having some jogging buddies for motivation, to share tips and struggles with!

I went on my first run yesterday in a long time through some woodlands... and I admit it was refreshing, but I had to catch my breath within minutes! But I kept going and felt better for it by the end.

Would really appreciate some tips for someone starting from the bottom again and some friends to help me in this journey.

Thank y'all! x

Replies

• fightorflight12
    fightorflight12 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    P.s. Its not my kitten that's heavy. Its my lower back... yeah I'll let you figure :smile:
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    169 would be perfectly acceptable for me, but I'm going to guess you are much shorter than I. 150 is my race weight, 170-180 in the winter...

Anyway, slow down!
  • fightorflight12
    fightorflight12 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, I assume I am much shorter! At 5"4' unfortunately, so I have a long way to go!
  • Lana_me
    Lana_me Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I also struggle to keep running. It's such a temptation to just walk.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I am not a personal trainer or anything, but I just want to say that jogging isn't the only excellent way to keep fit. There are many options from walking to weight training to swimming to biking to Zumba...the list goes on and on.

Walking is still very good for you and it is still part of my weekly routine- honestly, it is how I got started into fitness. I did C25k after slowly increasing my walks and have completed many 5ks and 10ks actually at this point. Walking is great way to get your lungs used to working out.

Going out too hard too fast is also a recipe for injury (which I also learned the hard way after ongoing runner's knee problems). I would also recommend looking into doing some strength training a couple times a week to help prevent injury as well.

Just slow it down, don't be afraid of walking- it is awesome and will help work you up to longer distances. I started out being completely winded by 0.25 miles just walking. Now just completed my 3rd 10k. Keep with it and you will see awesome results. Good luck!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Slow down your pace until you are able to hold it and sing a song without gasping for breath. Your speed will increase as your endurance increases and you gradually increase your distance.. As you progress, that "singing" pace, often called a conversational pace, will speed up and you'll gradually, and safely, improve. Enjoy the run.

P.S. Losing weight is about a calorie deficit. How you achieve that deficit is up to you. I like to run, lift and control my intake. No, you can't eat whatever you want when you're running.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I know jogging is the best way to lose weight and keep fit.
    Jogging isn't the best way to lose weight. You could run 1-50 miles every day and if you were eating in a surplus you would gain weight.

It's good for your cardiovascular system and in many instances some people would claim it's good for their mental state.

Tip to lose weight: Eat in a deficit.

Tip to start running agsin: Find your slowest speed and run slower.

this! not sure where you got the idea that jogging is the best way to lose weight but that is completely not true.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    C25K

and as others have said, there's nothing magic about running to make you lose weight.... its a calorie deficit that does that!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Running is simple but when you're starting out, it's certainly not easy! Kudos to you for getting out there!

The number one thing you need to do to build up your endurance is to run SLOW. Very slow. Slower even.

Take it easy. It takes time for your body to build up not just your stamina, but build up your bones, tendons, and muscle to handle the rigors of running. Running slow (you should be able to talk while running without gasping for breath) is enough to allow your body to make those adaptations. Running any faster than that won't make you adapt any sooner, but it will put you at greater risk for injury.

I started running by just walking for two months. It was a power walk and got my heart rate up which allowed me to slowly build up my endurance. If you try to rush things, you're inviting injury.

Good luck!
  • whatlunasaid
    whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Go easy on yourself. When I started "running," I actually alternated walking and jogging rather than going full speed the whole time.

Also learned to go home before I reached the point of total exhaustion. If I left a workout feeling miserable, my body hurt too much for a good workout the next day. If I left feeling good, that would motivate me to work out again; I would sometimes even go for a second daily run.

And fuel your body well!! Nutritious food one day makes a world of difference in your workout the next day.
  • slg1009
    slg1009 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I first started jogging I could barely jog five minutes without dying or injuring myself....or feeling my asthma start kicking in. I'm currently exactly the same weight as you so I know how defeating it can feel!
    I started off small only aiming for five minutes jogging, then ten minutes then fifteen and so on and now I can jog for up to 45 minutes (asthma and all!) after four months.
    As my fitness has improved and started losing weight it got easier to run further and quicker.
    For me I found it was also the way I was breathing that was holding me back. I started focussing on belly breathing and it made a huge difference.
    If you have a fitness tracker that will also be great motivation when you can start comparing what you we're doing months ago.
    Just start out small and it will get easier. Good luck!
  • ericabrizzi3380
    ericabrizzi3380 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy jogging and it has worked for you in the past it sounds like based off your description that you are starting over and retraining your body and lungs to get back to where they used to be. I find jogging easier to start walking briskly until my heart rate increases and the natural urge to start jogging arises. Keep at it and it will get easier and most of all, don't be embarrassed!
  • angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I started couch to 5k last September and before then i could not run for a minute without feeling sick!, but that app helped and now i can run a 5k, i may be slow but i can do it and you can too!!
  • TheHistoryLady
    TheHistoryLady Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Glad you started this thread as I'm about to embark on jogging and there's some good tips here. I'm thinking of doing the C25K route.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Another vote for C25K.
  • judithanne013
    judithanne013 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am on wk 5 - d2 of C25k. I am slow but will endure. I am 60 and signed up foe a half marathon in November. I know, I am possibly crazy but I have time to get myself ready. In high school, I ran cross country so I know I can do it but just have not allowed myself. I will be running with a friend and we will walk and run so I should be good to go.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You can't just run non stop the first time out. At least I couldn't.

I was becoming bored during my daily walks. I had never ever had any inclination to run before in my life, but as I'd dropped over 60 pounds and was so much stronger my feet just wanted to run. It was strange but I did.
    It was only a few yards and then I'd be huffing and wonder why in the world I wanted to do that. But I kept at it. Run to the next light standard. Run to the intersection. Run to the dog park. Run to the gym. Take the long way to run to the gym. Run to the gym the long way but don't stop for coffee, just run home without a break. Over the winter I gained the ability to go longer distance without needing to walk and I learned how to find a loping pace.

I turned 61 last week. I ran my first 5 k mid March and came in 2nd in my age group. I am now a runner.... not 10k or half marathons yet, but I can finish a race respectably and I enjoy experience.

My tip? Do not run every day. Learned that the hard way and had a bad hip for two weeks. I could hardly walk! :(
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I agree with C25K!