I keep gaining weight!

Options
I've been working out for 2 weeks every day except weekends, I drink only water No juice No sodas! No breads no pastas I do 25 min cardio, and 30 minutes strength training and I gained 10lbs!!! I'll have one cheat meal on Saturdays but this is so discouraging like what's the point if I don't fit in my jeans :'(

Replies

• melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Are you logging? Loss requires a calorie deficit, not cutting out bread or pasta...eating less is all you need. Log, see what cals you are eating.

Also, that level of exercise may be resulting in your muscles holding on to water to drive repair. And 2 weeks isn't very long. Be patient. It takes time.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    TOM?

And I'll be dead before I'd cut out any food I like.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    "I keep gaining weight!"

Well stop doing that if it's not what you want :)

Make sure you are logging faithfully/accurate every single gram of food that goes in your mouth. Get a cheap food scale (10 bucks at walmart) if you haven't already.

Also, if you're not losing weight, why would you have a cheat meal? Just eat food you like and keep it under your calories. I know it's easier said than done, but you can do it!
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Be aware that your new exercise regimen will make you retain water. So it's not uncommon for you to gain a little but it's certainly not 10lbs of fat.
  • oneallmama
    oneallmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Getting a food scale is great advice!! I use one everytime I make my meals/eat!
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The calorie deficit is key but it takes time as well. 2 weeks may not be enough time to see the change on the scale. Look for the other changes first like feeling better, more focuses, stronger and clothes fitting better. Make sure you are entering everything into MFP. Don't forget empty calories in liquids and dressings/dips as those add up fast. Initially, I had no scale movement but all of the above happened then I woke up one morning and the scale was a lot friendlier. Make sure you are eating a balanced meal as well. Starving yourself will put the body into survival mode.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    As others said. Log your food (and drink) intake. This way you can see where calories are coming from. Have others you trust from MFP have a look over the log and see if there is something you may have overlooked.

Don't go too far under your calorie target as this can cause metabolism issues that take time to fix.

Also you may want to see a doctor and determine if there may be some other problem (like hyperthyroidism, etc..).
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you log your cheat meal. One truly glutinous cheat meal can undo the deficits of the rest of the week. Put your stats in mpg set it for 1 lb a week and eat that many calories. Also eat back half your exercise calories. You will lose weight.It is a slow but reliable process.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    ilovevy wrote: »
    I've been working out for 2 weeks every day except weekends, I drink only water No juice No sodas! No breads no pastas I do 25 min cardio, and 30 minutes strength training and I gained 10lbs!!! I'll have one cheat meal on Saturdays but this is so discouraging like what's the point if I don't fit in my jeans :'(

Are you taking measurements?

Thinking of fitting into jeans, read the first post in this thread
    A guide to get you started on your path to Sexypants
  • RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    10 lbs... wow, well are you sure what your logging is accurate, with home cooked stuff and what not, you can be way off. Try buying pre-measured (caloric) wise things so you know exactly what your eating. If your prepping you meals maybe get a food scale or just try to be as accurate as you can be. As others pointed out, its as simple in vs out, one or both of those things in your case is off.