Help :(

Options
I can not for the life of me get back on track! I've only gained seven pounds but I'm scared it will turn into ten, twenty and so on. Last August I was doing awesome but I ended up having emergency gallbladder surgery and couldn't work out till I was released two weeks later. A week after I was released to do whatever I wanted, I lost my dad unexpectedly. Since then I will have a couple weeks of awesomeness, then I back peddle. Anyone have any advice on how to get back on track and stay on track??

Replies

• AnsleyAdams97
    AnsleyAdams97 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey. First, I am so sorry for your loss! Between the medical setback and emotional loss it's no wonder you're struggling! I have been struggling too lately... I am an emotional eater and my stress and anxiety has been through the roof lately. It helps me a lot to be able to post on MFP and get support from friends! I wish there was an east fix. Something I could recommend that would just instantly help you get back on track... but there's not. I've gained back massive amounts of weight before (2x) after losing over 60 and 80 lbs, respectively. It sucks to back peddle, but it's also not your fault. Our body is determined to put the fat back on, and it sabatages us! I read a book that really helped me called The Secret Life of Fat by Sylvia Tara. It talks about the science behind fat, why we gain it back, etc. It was really motivating to me, because even though it sucks to really know how hard losing and keeping wright off is, once you know how your body is working against you it can be empowering. Anyways, sending you hugs! Please add me as a friend! :smiley:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    It was hard for me to stop eating emotionally, too. There's always another "reason." If it's not one stress or trauma, look out there will be another right around the corner.

I also had to stop eating as celebration.

Or because I was bored.

Or lonely.

Or angry, annoyed, frustrated, tired, etc.

It took me quite a while to develop better coping tools and to fine-tune my nutrition so it kept me satisfied on the number of calories I wanted to consume. It's a process. Keep working on whatever issues you are having emotionally and you'll figure it out.

If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options

If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution.

Wow. A great way to put this. This is going on my list of quotes for when I need extra support :smile:

I sometimes will use small goals to help me get through "slumps" such as increasing water intake, reducing soda/alcohol, taking walks at lunch, etc. It helps me accomplish goals in the short term and helps me refocus when life inevitably gets in the way (I am also so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family).

Mantras help me too, my favorite right now is "progress, not perfection". It helps me keep moving forward, even if I mess up.

• curwhibbles
    curwhibbles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wow, the hunger/solution statement...all too real. I'm only on day 2 of being back on track with food. It's difficult, and I live to eat rather than eat to live way too often. Remember to be forgiving, but honest! Don't lie to yourself. You deserve the truth. If you aren't doing your best, find out why, add small steps, etc. I'll account with you if you need it. I know I do.
  • jh2811
    jh2811 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I love the hunger/solution statement. It just seems when I slip up, I slip up! I just keep telling myself tomorrow is a new day. Im trying not to beat myself up so much because after everything is said and done, I'm still human. I've made it this far and I know I can do it :)
  • RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sorry for loss and hope your doing well. Just stick to it, don't worry, you will get back on track. I am in the same position weight wise, I gained 15 after being 150. I got very ill climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, and could not work out for a couple months, or as hard as I would have liked to. Then last month, while doing dumbbell squats I hurt my back and was done for a few weeks, but now I am back on it and down 2 lbs. It can be discouraging as hell, but stick to it.
  • pinklife1117
    pinklife1117 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm terribly sorry for your loss and challenging year(since august)!!! I have taken 5 years to lose 100 pounds and can relate to your situation. If you need a friend I'm here - I'll add ya!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    jh2811 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I love the hunger/solution statement. It just seems when I slip up, I slip up! I just keep telling myself tomorrow is a new day. Im trying not to beat myself up so much because after everything is said and done, I'm still human. I've made it this far and I know I can do it :)

I had a lot of "start over" days.

One thing I would add is that a sure way to fail is to try to eat too low a calorie amount. If you're really struggling, I would suggest that you set your goal to "Lose 1 pound per week," that will stop you from the binge/starve cycle which just leads to that viscous voice in your head telling you, "I can't do this."

Once I got to a reasonable calorie goal (so, 1600 instead of 1200) I was able to stick with it long-term. I don't know what or how much you are eating, but read around the forums because 1200 is really low and impossible for a lot of people long-term.

Start reasonable, and learn. It takes time.